Next signing almost over the line....Happy about this?

On 24/06/2022 at 19:29, 0114 said:

For £200k the reward outweighs the risk. 

I’ve been sceptical because I’m unsure how he fits into the side. His seasons of scoring 14 & 19 at this level both came playing as a sort of inside right winger. However I think he will be used a ST alongside Smith, Gregory & Paterson. 

All things considered it’s a good signing when you consider his age, fee, goals & promotion from this level. 

The thing is with vaulks in as the holding mid with bazz and Byers. 

That's a solid platform especially becouse we now have Smith who's a very good lone striker /centreforward does allow us to go with the 4-3-3 DM tried a few times last season. 

Byers  vaulks bazz 

Windass                             wilks 

Smith. 

On paper if they all stay fit is frightening at this level. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/06/2022 at 19:21, Inspector Lestrade said:

If he can get back to the player he was then an excellent signing, if he doesn't Darren is going to take a kicking.

I'm optimistic he will.

Bloody sad news about Harry Gration RIP

He's the new Royston Drenthe. 

Without the Crack, Drill music and Uzis hopefully 

2 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

The thing is with vaulks in as the holding mid with bazz and Byers. 

That's a solid platform especially becouse we now have Smith who's a very good lone striker /centreforward does allow us to go with the 4-3-3 DM tried a few times last season. 

Byers  vaulks bazz 

Windass                             wilks 

Smith. 

On paper if they all stay fit is frightening at this level. 

I just don’t see the need to change from a system that was so successful. All local reporters are suggesting the plan is to play 352 with having the option to be flexible. Although I will be surprised if we do as I felt we had more wide options last season that we currently do and Moore never looked to change. Other than Windass & Wilks we have no other wide options. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I just don’t see the need to change from a system that was so successful. All local reporters are suggesting the plan is to play 352 with having the option to be flexible. Although I will be surprised if we do as I felt we had more wide options last season that we currently do and Moore never looked to change. Other than Windass & Wilks we have no other wide options. 

I agree with you but DM came to the club with a 4-3-3 (4-2-3-1)as his preferred style so he won't have completely fine away from that. As I see it, he's building towards 3-5-2 with 4-2-3-1 as his 2nd option. Windass and Wills are the only 2 obvious players for the wide roles, but last season when we started as a 4-2-3-1 he used Johnson, Brown and Adenerin as wide attacking midfielders/forwards, so he has those still.as back ups 

21 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

I agree with you but DM came to the club with a 4-3-3 (4-2-3-1)as his preferred style so he won't have completely fine away from that. As I see it, he's building towards 3-5-2 with 4-2-3-1 as his 2nd option. Windass and Wills are the only 2 obvious players for the wide roles, but last season when we started as a 4-2-3-1 he used Johnson, Brown and Adenerin as wide attacking midfielders/forwards, so he has those still.as back ups 

Although that was one of the reasons for the change to 352 because none of them were good enough in those roles. I think he may use a 433/4231 from time to time. I actually think those formations are more solid if you’re winning by a couple of goals with ten to go. 

Although it would be interesting if he does bring in an out and our winger. Something he’s not done yet this summer. 

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

I do think it was what DM wanted to play last year and still does hence us bringing in all the wingers , it' didn't work last season as I said becouse we didn't have the most important piece of the jigsaw which was a striker that can play up top on his own and bring others into play. Now we have that option I'm expecting us to use both systems allowing us more flexibility. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

I do think it was what DM wanted to play last year and still does hence us bringing in all the wingers , it' didn't work last season as I said becouse we didn't have the most important piece of the jigsaw which was a striker that can play up top on his own and bring others into play. Now we have that option I'm expecting us to use both systems allowing us more flexibility. 

But we’ve not brought in any wingers as of yet. He had plenty of opportunities last season to play with wingers and he choose a system that had wing backs. 

I hope he sticks with 352 but strengthens it. No need for changing something that’s worked since Christmas. Maybe in game when we are leading or if we losing we need to adapt in certain games but for me we need to stick with the system that brought success.  

Since New Year we have lined up 352 and have average 2.58ppg at home & 1.4ppg away from home. That equates to over a season picking up 59 points at home & 32 points away so statistically we could be on course over a season to pick up 91 points playing how we have. Not sure why anyone would change when the statistics show we have found a promotion winning formula. 

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 19:44, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Think it will be "systems" rather than "system" next year.

Key was getting smith in as he can equally play the central role in a 4-3-3 with windass/ wilks either side or in a 4-2-3-1 with windass, bannan and wilks behind. Or Indeed in a 2 up top with Gregory,/windass or wilks.

We should be easily able to switch between 3-5-2, 3-4-3, 3-4-1-2  & 4-2-3-1 next year. 

The 5 subs rule will be a big advantage for us with squad being assembled. 

I'm not sure there's a chance we play 3-4-1-2, hardly any teams play that system. But the others are definite options now.

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

Makes sense 

4 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

I'm not sure there's a chance we play 3-4-1-2, hardly any teams play that system. But the others are definite options now.

You don’t think there is a chance we play the system we played pretty much most games last season?

I don't get why people are saying we now have too many strikers 

The way I see it is Smith is replacing Berahino and Wilks is coming in for NML 

Wilks scored all his goals in League One by playing on the wing so the chances are he won't be used as a striker unless we have an injury crisis 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Yes I'm  sure that flexibilty will be the aim. The question is whether we can pull it off this season. Hopefully we'll  see some (ideally younger) wide players recruited over the coming days.

14 minutes ago, 0114 said:

But we’ve not brought in any wingers as of yet. He had plenty of opportunities last season to play with wingers and he choose a system that had wing backs. 

I hope he sticks with 352 but strengthens it. No need for changing something that’s worked since Christmas. Maybe in game when we are leading or if we losing we need to adapt in certain games but for me we need to stick with the system that brought success.  

Since New Year we have lined up 352 and have average 2.58ppg at home & 1.4ppg away from home. That equates to over a season picking up 59 points at home & 32 points away so statistically we could be on course over a season to pick up 91 points playing how we have. Not sure why anyone would change when the statistics show we have found a promotion winning formula. 

I do agree with you, I think DM wants to have different options and formations he can go with or change to. 

Always good to have a plan B. 

Besides wilks and Windass can both play as either a second striker or wide forwards along with Patterson who while not ideal can do a job.. Which would give us that option as a front 3 with sow as backup. I do think at the moment we still need a backup for Johnson as it stands to play the 352 system as I don't trust brown. 

1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

I do agree with you, I think DM wants to have different options and formations he can go with or change to. 

Always good to have a plan B. 

Besides wilks and Windass can both play as either a second striker or wide forwards along with Patterson who while not ideal can do a job.. Which would give us that option as a front 3 with sow as backup. I do think at the moment we still need a backup for Johnson as it stands to play the 352 system as I don't trust brown. 

I personally see Wilks coming in a striker, despite his goals coming from RW & see Windass competing in his natural 10 spot with Bannan who will also be used in CM from time to time. 

Certainly agree with having a few options to change but I’d personally hope these changes come in game rather than game to game. 

Agree regarding Johnson needing competition. I do think that will be addressed.