Next signing almost over the line....Happy about this?

18 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I’m going to stick my neck out on this one and say I don’t think Darren Moore will see it that way 

Hunt will be one of the first people on the team sheet again next year, dropped for early round cup games and maybe the odd game to stop fatigue 

but generally if he’s fit and available he will have a starting shirt 

He may do, depending on acquisitions. 

I think he'd be behind Palmer and Pato in the pecking order in an ideal world, but both of them are too useful elsewhere (same with NML last season), so if we're still short at the start of the season at LB, CB or attack (as I can see Gregory, Windass or both leaving), then he may well start at WB, but if we do go 4231, I can't see him playing.

Then again, that's the perfect spot for a loan player to come in, especially if DM wants to play as high up the pitch as Hunt did toward the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

I think he'd be behind Palmer and Pato in the pecking order in an ideal world, but both of them are too useful elsewhere (same with NML last season), so if we're still short at the start of the season at LB, CB or attack (as I can see Gregory, Windass or both leaving), then he may well start at WB, but if we do go 4231, I can't see him playing.

Then again, that's the perfect spot for a loan player to come in, especially if DM wants to play as high up the pitch as Hunt did toward the end of the season.

I believe that Gregory is discussing a new contract with us. 

4 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I believe that Gregory is discussing a new contract with us. 

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Well, that's @Tewkesbury's afternoon ruined.

I can just picture his face reading that...

Crying.gif.28c515915c48dd3b505f2747d75e3c3c.gif

Probably to get his appearance clause removed so Smith can get a game.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

I mean I can’t fault you for having an opinion

I can’t say I share it 

windass and gregory won’t move on neither one of them it’s just not happening Gregory had publicly said he’s happy and more chance of him signing another contract with us and windass has just had two bids rejected for him so I’m not sure how you’ve arrived that one maybe both will be leaving 

Hunt Is first choice right back he’s not played there because everyone else is covering other positions ahd whilst I’m not going to go through every line him sure we will find line ups that see Hunt in the starting and 11 and neither of Palmer and Paterson I know there will be many occasions where both Palmer and Patterson have been on the bench and I’m sure at the same time whilst Hunt as featured on the pitch 

It’s pretty hard for you to claim he’s third choice and have two right backs sat on the bench especially when you look at the minutes Hunt played last year 

I’m going to predict Hunt was in our top 5 most played players for minutes. Above both Palmer and Paterson not bad for for 3rd choice 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I mean I can’t fault you for having an opinion

I can’t say I share it 

windass and gregory won’t move on neither one of them it’s just not happening Gregory had publicly said he’s happy and more chance of him signing another contract with us and windass has just had two bids rejected for him so I’m not sure how you’ve arrived that one maybe both will be leaving 

Hunt Is first choice right back he’s not played there because everyone else is covering other positions ahd whilst I’m not going to go through every line him sure we will find line ups that see Hunt in the starting and 11 and neither of Palmer and Paterson I know there will be many occasions where both Palmer and Patterson have been on the bench and I’m sure at the same time whilst Hunt as featured on the pitch 

It’s pretty hard for you to claim he’s third choice and have two right backs sat on the bench especially when you look at the minutes Hunt played last year 

I’m going to predict Hunt was in our top 5 most played players for minutes. Above both Palmer and Paterson not bad for for 3rd choice 

A lot has changed in the last week or two.

He was the undisputed number 9 when he said that.

Smith and Wilks will change the attacking dynamic massively, both are going to want guaranteed minutes and both will want to play in a way that suits them.

I'd love all 4 to stay, but I just can't see it.

7 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Smith and Wilks will change the attacking dynamic massively, both are going to want guaranteed minutes and both will want to play in a way that suits them.

As so many have said with the introduction of five subs the tactical side will take on a different meaning.  All the forwards will get game time if they are delivering the goods.  

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

They will say I’m going to make another prediction here for you, I think we will sign another player that can played upfront too, maybe in a front three but another attacking player 

there is no way 34 year old experienced Gregory made that comment thinking we won’t be signing anyone, it’s more likely as as a senior player he wanted to know who was coming in and what the plans are to get out of the division. So his opinion very much won’t of changed 

now to the other point if his contract. He can’t leave unless we sell him. Are you seriously thinking Mr I don’t sell anyone is going to cash what little transfer value he can get for Mr happy to stay local lad and last years highest goal scorer Gregory.

Where do you think Gregory will go? 
hes 34 moved back to Sheffield just finished our highest goal scorer and his most likely going to play a key role in getting a local team promoted this year. At his age where would he want to go? Only thing that makes him think about leaving is playing abroad in my opinion and he doesn’t seem the kind of bloke that’s motivated by that.

There’s about as much chance as Gregory leaving than there is of David Hirst starting up front and he’s been retired 22 years 

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

As so many have said with the introduction of five subs the tactical side will take on a different meaning.  All the forwards will get game time if they are delivering the goods.  

8 minutes ago, fpowl said:

They will say I’m going to make another prediction here for you, I think we will sign another player that can played upfront too, maybe in a front three but another attacking player 

there is no way 34 year old experienced Gregory made that comment thinking we won’t be signing anyone, it’s more likely as as a senior player he wanted to know who was coming in and what the plans are to get out of the division. So his opinion very much won’t of changed 

now to the other point if his contract. He can’t leave unless we sell him. Are you seriously thinking Mr I don’t sell anyone is going to cash what little transfer value he can get for Mr happy to stay local lad and last years highest goal scorer Gregory.

Where do you think Gregory will go? 
hes 34 moved back to Sheffield just finished our highest goal scorer and his most likely going to play a key role in getting a local team promoted this year. At his age where would he want to go? Only thing that makes him think about leaving is playing abroad in my opinion and he doesn’t seem the kind of bloke that’s motivated by that.

There’s about as much chance as Gregory leaving than there is of David Hirst starting up front and he’s been retired 22 years 

Maybe he will stay.

Our tactics last season were designed to get him in scoring positions, slowly moving up the pitch, balls to feet. They didn't suit any of the other strikers as they were very specific. All three of Windass, Smith and Wilks are more suited to a faster, more direct approach.

So are we going to carry on with what we did last season, or are we going to go more direct, where he really struggled last season.

5 subs and a tactical change may be the option, I honestly think that he'd score more coming on for the last 20-30 minutes every game than he would playing the full 90, but he's not going to be top of the pecking order, starting every game available any more.

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

Maybe he will stay.

Our tactics last season were designed to get him in scoring positions, slowly moving up the pitch, balls to feet. They didn't suit any of the other strikers as they were very specific. All three of Windass, Smith and Wilks are more suited to a faster, more direct approach.

So are we going to carry on with what we did last season, or are we going to go more direct, where he really struggled last season.

5 subs and a tactical change may be the option, I honestly think that he'd score more coming on for the last 20-30 minutes every game than he would playing the full 90, but he's not going to be top of the pecking order, starting every game available any more.

He might relish the competition and up his game 

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Maybe he will stay.

I don’t think non of our strikers have the bill or expectation to be top of the pecking order 

they are all different in some sense and can be paired with any other striker in a multitude of ways 

every single one of those four if fit will make over 25 possibly over 30 appearances each from starting or from the bench 

Hence it’s a squad game 

I remember last year playing Mendez-Laing and Paterson upfront against I think it was Rotherham and thinking what can we do? Looking at a bench of Sow and kamberi 

that’s why non of them will leave and I think we will add one more 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

He might relish the competition and up his game 

Maybe.

If he does then great.

Just have a feeling that there will be more twists this window with a couple of unexpected departures on top of the signings. Maybe something really late on to Derby if they get the takeover sorted, for instance.

1 minute ago, fpowl said:

I don’t think non of our strikers have the bill or expectation to be top of the pecking order 

they are all different in some sense and can be paired with any other striker in a multitude of ways 

every single one of those four if fit will make over 25 possibly over 30 appearances each from starting or from the bench 

Hence it’s a squad game 

I remember last year playing Mendez-Laing and Paterson upfront against I think it was Rotherham and thinking what can we do? Looking at a bench of Sow and kamberi 

that’s why non of them will leave and I think we will add one more 

The difference last season was that Gregory was an automatic starter, as well as Windass no matter what.

The others were filling in or to try and open it up with pace in NMLs case.

None of the others were there to compete for the top job, I still think that's why Kamberi and Sow gave up last season, they thought they had a chance to fight for a place as a regular starter then got slapped down.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Maybe.

If he does then great.

Just have a feeling that there will be more twists this window with a couple of unexpected departures on top of the signings. Maybe something really late on to Derby if they get the takeover sorted, for instance.

I hope there will be more signings, I feel along with many others that we need an injection of pace now that Mendz Laing has left, and need more back up defensively.  Work in progress I guess but so far so good.

19 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

The difference last season was that Gregory was an automatic starter, as well as Windass no matter what.

The others were filling in or to try and open it up with pace in NMLs case.

None of the others were there to compete for the top job, I still think that's why Kamberi and Sow gave up last season, they thought they had a chance to fight for a place as a regular starter then got slapped down.

Im Completely baffled in what your point is now 

last year we lacked skill sets and had injuries and our squad depth lacked quality 

now we have added a range of attributes to enable us to play indifferent ways and in different situations abd be able to change formation and tactics 

And because we’ve added this to this squad you now think Gregory and windass 

a) want to leave 

b) we will want to sell them

c) both a&b

is that the point you are trying to get across?

if not please tell me what you mean because I’ve lost you 

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I hope there will be more signings, I feel along with many others that we need an injection of pace now that Mendz Laing has left, and need more back up defensively.  Work in progress I guess but so far so good.

Think it goes a bit deeper.

I and seemingly, from his experiments, DM, thought that a fast striker next to Gregory would give us the pace needed to stretch teams and beat the press, but it didn't work out in the end, with NML of Windass.

We'll see at the start of play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Im Completely baffled in what your point is now 

last year we lacked skill sets and had injuries and our squad depth lacked quality 

now we have added a range of attributes to enable us to play indifferent ways and in different situations abd be able to change formation and tactics 

And because we’ve added this to this squad you now think Gregory and windass 

a) want to leave 

b) we will want to sell them

c) both a&b

is that the point you are trying to get across?

if not please tell me what you mean because I’ve lost you 

Good strikers like scoring goals.

They want both the minutes and conditions to score those goals.

I can't see all 4 competing for a couple of spots, when they are all good enough to be the main man in a different team in this league.

Windass and Wilks still have other contracts after this so will want to raise their stock back to Championship level at least and that takes minutes.

Smith and Gregory, although probably set for now, will still both want to be playing and scoring as much as possible.

Why be on rotation here when you can be the main man somewhere else?

It's that simple.