Remember when people were telling us we need to get rid of Bannan?

12 minutes ago, Alwaysletyoudown said:

Why was John Sheridan so good... Because he had Carlton palmer at the side of him..... Bannan is a class act n loves Wednesday... The problem always been his partner in midfield... Hutch failed at it n we've never found the answer... So maybe we do go in a different direction.... Who knows... There's no guarantee a different direction or cheaper younger alternative gets us up either...... 

There is no guarantees..your right..but do we keep losin millions every year ?? Or try cheaper alternatives?

24 minutes ago, Alwaysletyoudown said:

Why was John Sheridan so good... Because he had Carlton palmer at the side of him..... Bannan is a class act n loves Wednesday... The problem always been his partner in midfield... Hutch failed at it n we've never found the answer... So maybe we do go in a different direction.... Who knows... There's no guarantee a different direction or cheaper younger alternative gets us up either...... 

I agree with you to a large extent.  However, Shezza was really good for Leeds and Ireland as well.

Bannan has had Lee, Hutch, Luongo, Pelupessey and a few others alongside him, yet we’ve never really dominated midfield in all those years. He never made the Championship team of the year and was never the Wednesday player of the year prior to our relegation. So I’m not sure you can say the problem was always his partner. Even this last season he really only hit top form when played in front of Luongo and Byers. In effect, the partnership of Luongo and Byers was successful. In fact if you look back to our best times under Carlos Lee, Hutch and Lopez played in the centre quite a bit. Bannan is a really good, eye catching loyal player but I’ve never been convinced we should throw all our eggs into the Bannan basket. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BIG D said:

You do know which team scored most goals from corners don’t you?

How many corners did we have vs how many chances did we create from them? I'd imagine we had close to the most corners in the league.

9 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Just had a quick look, and I'm definitely going with Wigan or Rotherham.

We scored 17 goals from corners last season...

1170127113_Screenshot2022-05-31at21_12_57.png.d7e3b2448183a669d038f75123479af1.png

But when you add in the one goal we scored from a free-kick all season (Byers, assisted by Bannan - Charlton H), we were still only joint 8th in terms of goals from set pieces last season:

365252799_Screenshot2022-05-31at21_19_22.thumb.png.b33665357b15d383a94e8e63ad9a933c.png

Unless Wigan, Rotherham and Accrington scored loads from free-kicks, then they must have been ahead of us for goals from corners?

Although, now that I think about this...

Regardless of the number of goals from corners, why the hell did we only score one goal from a free-kick all season!?

Whenever we give away a free-kick in our defensive third, I'm fearing the worst...and yet up the other end of the pitch, we made such situations count just once.

That's crazy, isn't it?

:duntmatter:

15 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Since New Year we've lost 6 games of football.

Two of those to sides that went up and one due to an inept referee.

We're not crap, that statement just simply isn't true.

We are crap though.

We are in League One for a reason and we couldn’t even get out of it. Half of the season was a shambles getting beat by the likes of Morecambe and Lincoln. 

Don’t even get me started on the play offs - we didn’t turn up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThisCityIsOurs88 said:

We are crap though.

We are in League One for a reason and we couldn’t even get out of it. Half of the season was a shambles getting beat by the likes of Morecambe and Lincoln. 

Don’t even get me started on the play offs - we didn’t turn up. 

They started the season as a bunch of strangers as the season they progressed and at their best were entertaining, and ruthless.  Hopefully next season we can move up a gear or two and go the extra yard.

I do fear that we may face the same problem to some degree getting the players to gel though we do have the makings of a team more so than last season.

Bannan will be an integral part of that team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 83owl said:

Can you state which part of my post where I am solely judging how good a player I believe Bannan is based on the final position of the team? 

Yes I can. You literally said...

'Rotherham Wigan and Sunderland all got promoted without him in their team.

Last season 47 teams finished above us in the football pyramid and none of them had Bannan in their squads.'

We dont need Sue Grey for this one do we?

lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Yes I can. You literally said...

'Rotherham Wigan and Sunderland all got promoted without him in their team.

Last season 47 teams finished above us in the football pyramid and none of them had Bannan in their squads.'

We dont need Sue Grey for this one do we?

lol

I merely stated that having Bannan in your team is not vital to being successful as we have proved. This is an opinion which is contrary to what plenty on here seem to think as they can’t imagine a team without him. 

Nowhere in my post do I state wether or not I think he is a good player or a bad player also nowhere in my post did I link my opinion of if he is a good player or a bad player based solely on our league position as you stated.

You basically just made it up.

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

I merely stated that having Bannan in your team is not vital to being successful as we have proved. This is an opinion which is contrary to what plenty on here seem to think as they can’t imagine a team without him. 

Nowhere in my post do I state wether or not I think he is a good player or a bad player also nowhere in my post did I link my opinion of if he is a good player or a bad player based solely on our league position as you stated.

You basically just made it up.

You haven't proved it at all, if we didn't play Bannan we might have been relegated, the problem isn't Bannan it's getting players in and around him of the same or better quality.  

I just can't understand the mentality of so many on here of getting rid of your best proven players to bring in potentially weaker players. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You haven't proved it at all, if we didn't play Bannan we might have been relegated, the problem isn't Bannan it's getting players in and around him of the same or better quality.  

I just can't understand the mentality of so many on here of getting rid of your best proven players to bring in potentially weaker players. 

It has been proved. Bannan is not vital to the success of any team. I know this as he plays for us and we are crap. Some Other teams are good and he doesn’t play for them. Point proven.

• Haha 3