Remember when people were telling us we need to get rid of Bannan?

In fairness much of that rhetoric was about his effectiveness when dropping too deep and how our managers wanted to play at the time.Leaving aside the odd hater or 3…Barry isn’t effective in every set up Also some just wanted to cash in given his age others felt as good as he is that he(and we) needed a new chapter and look for the ‘next BB’

• Thanks 1

On 31/05/2022 at 15:12, @owlstalk said:

What a mad couple of seasons it's been in our fanbase

People getting pulled into some mass psychosis bandwagon of telling others that Barry Bannan needs to go because he's the problem.
People telling us that because all the play goes through Bannan that we need to sell him asap and replace him with someone who plays less football

Twitter awash with people trying to push the idea that Bannan was the enemy of our success and that he didn't score enough too or that his corners were rubbish

Were you one of those people who jumped on that bandwagon? (might as well fess up as we can just use the search facility and find your posts anyway 🤣

If so - how do you feel about Bannan now?
Have you changed your opinion?

Have you changed your opinion of the people who told you to have that opinion?

10 pages so far and your OP only got 2 thumbs up.

You are the Barry Bannan of Owlstalk.

3 hours ago, Beany71 said:

What do you do when they go for free and you have no money to replace the player?

The idea is you get the money and TRY (that's the hard part) and get young up and coming players that can be sold for a profit. That's what some clubs have done better than us.

It's a hard one as to move forward you need your best players but also to stay financially viable you need to sell players to make money.

How many Browns, Sow, Kamberi etc would you have to sell to get an experienced player like Bannan? What we need is a good scouting network and youth set up.

Personally I want to keep the best players like Bannan but it's whether the man at the top can keep funding this method?

Yeah you need to have many fronts to get the players you need. 

The trouble is most fans want instant success so the pressure is on the manager to get promotion quickly, I have been pleasantly surprised that there hasn't been a clamour for him to be sacked and are prepared  for him to be given time to rebuild again. I fear many won't be patient with him if we aren't challenging for the top spots from the off, they will be looking for change.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BIG D said:

It's a well known fact that the way to improve your team is get rid of the best player.

It’s also a well known real factamondo we have to reduce the wage bill...so shud we have give the biggest earner a shiny new contract on mahoosive wages...or get rid of Janet off deerlands who does a bit of hoovering around the lounges??

• Like 1

Lively Thread, it's the boring times, need something to get people talking.  

I'd say get rid of Bannan, but not next Season,  ( or even since he signed for Wednesday ),  eventually he will be " unfit for service ",  but he's looking anything but " unfit for service " , especially when he doesn't have to drop deep, him and Byers were a good pair,  whenever Byers played, Bannan kept forward.

Sell for profit ?  Could do that, Bannan may well have legitimate offers as we speak...but then we'd just have to buy, or discover, another Player of equal or better quality.  A gamble either way,  how will the new guy perform ?  I'd run Bannan until his wheels fell off,  and when they do,  there will be new models available, same like every year, and DC will have the money to buy,  according to what the FFP says he can spend.

11 hours ago, parajack said:

In fairness much of that rhetoric was about his effectiveness when dropping too deep and how our managers wanted to play at the time.Leaving aside the odd hater or 3…Barry isn’t effective in every set up Also some just wanted to cash in given his age others felt as good as he is that he(and we) needed a new chapter and look for the ‘next BB’

How dare you post something balanced and unpolarised. That’s s thread is either for haters or for those that believe he’s better than zidane, there is no in between! 

• Like 2

On 31/05/2022 at 17:30, 83owl said:

1. I’m not moaning, it’s more a statement of fact.

2. I’m not from Sheffield.

On 31/05/2022 at 17:21, 83owl said:

we don’t have any success as we are absolutely crap

That's not fact  it's your opinion.

• Like 1

I said first half of the season he should be dropped, he was playing too deep slowing or stopping the attacks and everything has to go through him etc… this was probably Darren Moores tactics. 

Around Christmas time Paterson said in a interview we changed direction. 

And true, Bannan moved further forward he could dictate games and he looked his best again abeit with Luongo and Byres returning and he should be first name on the team sheet now.

I still don’t think he should be captain as I’ve always liked the centre half to do it. Harley Dean would be my choice if he returns. I also don’t think he should be anywhere set pieces, they are dire. Johnson and Byres should be on them and Gregory on penalties. 

What Moore needs to do is find a way to play without Bannan because when he gets man marked we struggle to adapt and usually lose. 

• Haha 1

Guest Andy W
On 31/05/2022 at 15:21, 83owl said:

Rotherham Wigan and Sunderland all got promoted without him in their team.

Last season 47 teams finished above us in the football pyramid and none of them had Bannan in their squads.

The idea that one of our players is somehow vital to our success is ridiculous, we don’t have any success as we are absolutely crap. 

Spot on...we are crap and success certainly is not finishing 4th in Division 3

51 minutes ago, 1867tim said:

On 31/05/2022 at 17:21, 83owl said:

we don’t have any success as we are absolutely crap

That's not fact  it's your opinion.

In the last 50 years we have two promotions from the third division, one promotion from the second division and one league cup win. 

There’s barely anybody left alive on the whole planet who would have been able to see us win the first division.  

Nobody except wednesday fans consider us a successful club.

However yes I suppose you are right, somebody in this thread said we are successful as we only lost 6 games last season since the new year.

I guess we all have different expectations.

4 hours ago, 83owl said:

In the last 50 years we have two promotions from the third division, one promotion from the second division and one league cup win. 

There’s barely anybody left alive on the whole planet who would have been able to see us win the first division.  

However yes I suppose you are right, somebody in this thread said we are successful as we only lost 6 games last season since the new year.

I'm not saying we're successful and I'm not saying we're not crap sometimes; I can't cope with the "absolute crap" as a default position.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 83owl said:

Nope,

What I said was that we had lost 6 games since the turn of the year, so calling us "crap" is unfair and incorrect. A team doesn't get 85 points in the division it's in and be crap in that division. 

At no point have I said we were/are successful. At no point have I claimed it's good enough for the size of club we are or anything along those lines but it's where the club is.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I said first half of the season he should be dropped, he was playing too deep slowing or stopping the attacks and everything has to go through him etc… this was probably Darren Moores tactics. 

Around Christmas time Paterson said in a interview we changed direction. 

And true, Bannan moved further forward he could dictate games and he looked his best again abeit with Luongo and Byres returning and he should be first name on the team sheet now.

I still don’t think he should be captain as I’ve always liked the centre half to do it. Harley Dean would be my choice if he returns. I also don’t think he should be anywhere set pieces, they are dire. Johnson and Byres should be on them and Gregory on penalties. 

What Moore needs to do is find a way to play without Bannan because when he gets man marked we struggle to adapt and usually lose. 

We just got to the playoff semi finals?!!

Owlstalk Shop

15 hours ago, 83owl said:

You have a fair point,  Wednesday is, and always has been, a Tier 2 Club,  with occasional forays into the 3rd Tier, and 1st Tier.

Fans are why SWFC still exists,  in a big way.

The only expectation I have,  is that WAWAW,  season-after-season,  ~155 years now,  no Fans, no Club, no matter the Tier.  Sure,  I'd like to see Wednesday win the 3rd Tier, and the next year win the 2nd Tier, and get 1st Tier "free money",  but I don't expect that to happen.  

• Love 1

12 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Nope,

What I said was that we had lost 6 games since the turn of the year, so calling us "crap" is unfair and incorrect. A team doesn't get 85 points in the division it's in and be crap in that division. 

At no point have I said we were/are successful. At no point have I claimed it's good enough for the size of club we are or anything along those lines but it's where the club is.

Simply stating the Amount of games lost or won during a selective time period on its own isn’t a reliable indication of how good a team is.

For example Norwich have only won about 3 games during that same period, they are a far better team than us.