Remember when people were telling us we need to get rid of Bannan?

What a mad couple of seasons it's been in our fanbase

People getting pulled into some mass psychosis bandwagon of telling others that Barry Bannan needs to go because he's the problem.
People telling us that because all the play goes through Bannan that we need to sell him asap and replace him with someone who plays less football

Twitter awash with people trying to push the idea that Bannan was the enemy of our success and that he didn't score enough too or that his corners were rubbish

Were you one of those people who jumped on that bandwagon? (might as well fess up as we can just use the search facility and find your posts anyway 🤣

If so - how do you feel about Bannan now?
Have you changed your opinion?

Have you changed your opinion of the people who told you to have that opinion?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

Guest DoesJackHunt

I have thought that Bannan is our best player since we signed him and I still think that. 
I don’t understand why people say he’s the problem.

I don’t think we couldn’t have a successful team without him, we could but I would much rather we keep and play our best players. 

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

See it's phrases and comments like this that make me just disregard is as just another Sheffielder moaning

lol

1. I’m not moaning, it’s more a statement of fact.

2. I’m not from Sheffield.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

See it's phrases and comments like this that make me just disregard is as just another Sheffielder moaning

lol

It’s not moaning though is it. He’s absolutely right. We are crap.

I love Bannan but how much longer do we keep building a team round him. We’ve had zero success in recent seasons. Hes getting older and his value is decreasing each season we keep him on big wages. 

I just simply don’t think we can afford the luxury of him. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 minute ago, 83owl said:

1. I’m not moaning, it’s more a statement of fact.

2. I’m not from Sheffield.

Glory hunter is it 😜

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

People getting pulled into some mass psychosis bandwagon of telling others that Barry Bannan needs to go because he's the problem.
People telling us that because all the play goes through Bannan that we need to sell him asap and replace him with someone who plays less football

Twitter awash with people trying to push the idea that Bannan was the enemy of our success and that he didn't score enough too or that his corners were rubbish

Were you one of those people who jumped on that bandwagon? (might as well fess up as we can just use the search facility and find your posts anyway 🤣

I criticized him in the first half of the season for slowing our play down at times. Taking an extra touch. I still think this was true.

Never wanted rid of him though. Just pointed out that I think he could have been better. The second half of the season proved that he could be better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Rotherham Wigan and Sunderland all got promoted without him in their team.

Last season 47 teams finished above us in the football pyramid and none of them had Bannan in their squads.

The idea that one of our players is somehow vital to our success is ridiculous, we don’t have any success as we are absolutely crap. 

They also managed it without Ronaldo.

Crackers eh?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

At the end of the day we've had the same core players which includes BB since 2015 and we've lost two Championship play offs, been relegated to league 1 and lost this years play off when the aim was to go up automatically, I also don't rate his corners or his free kicks and his penalties are 50/50. In the first half of this season he played too deep and slowed down the game in trying to dictate everything, but admittedly he had a better second half of the season and showed some strokes of genius, but we're in league 1 and he's a championship player on championship wages. If he plays to the end of his contract I fear the tactics won't change and we'll have another big wage earner who can just walk away from the club at the end of his career. In the spirit of a long over due re-build its time to cash in while we can still and get two new younger hungrier players in for what we're paying BB. 

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ThisCityIsOurs88 said:

It’s not moaning though is it. He’s absolutely right. We are crap.

I love Bannan but how much longer do we keep building a team round him. We’ve had zero success in recent seasons. Hes getting older and his value is decreasing each season we keep him on big wages. 

I just simply don’t think we can afford the luxury of him. 

lol

Owlstalk Shop

On 15/07/2021 at 12:47, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Bannan is undoubtedly a very good player, and will surely be among the very best in League One.

However, I can't help but wonder if he's a natural fit for the system and style Moore wants us to play. If Moore were drawing up a list of ideal signings for the upcoming season, would Bannan be on the list?

I suspect not, but the conundrum we have is that he's such a good player for the level that we're at, that it seems crazy to let him go for anything less than a king's ransom (potential wage issues aside).

I'm torn on the issue, to be honest: on the one hand, he's one of our best players and I'd be loath to lose him; on the other, we may be able to use any fee to build a more effective overall team in the style our manager wants to play.

I posted the above last summer. 

It turns out Moore adapted his system as the season progressed, and Bannan became central to that.

In particular, I was pleasantly surprised by how much Moore got out of him in an attacking sense in the second half of last season compared to what we've seen previously - pushing him slightly further forwards once Luongo and Byers returned from injury was a revelation.

I suppose one mark of a good manager is to adapt the system to suit their best players, and Moore certainly did that as far as Bannan was concerned last season.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, True Owl said:

At the end of the day we've had the same core players which includes BB since 2015 and we've lost two Championship play offs, been relegated to league 1 and lost this years play off when the aim was to go up automatically, I also don't rate his corners or his free kicks and his penalties are 50/50. In the first half of this season he played too deep and slowed down the game in trying to dictate everything, but admittedly he had a better second half of the season and showed some strokes of genius, but we're in league 1 and he's a championship player on championship wages. If he plays to the end of his contract I fear the tactics won't change and we'll have another big wage earner who can just walk away from the club at the end of his career. In the spirit of a long over due re-build its time to cash in while we can still and get two new younger hungrier players in for what we're paying BB. 

Can you GUARANTEE they will be as good as Barry Bannan - the player of the year?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, PTLiam said:

I criticized him in the first half of the season for slowing our play down at times. Taking an extra touch. I still think this was true. 

That could well have been his given role though - something that changed as the season went on

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I've probably never changed my opinion after the first year of seeing him. Quality player but we've had better players in my opinion, such as K Lee. He's the sort of player some would call a luxury. For me, he's good to watch, he's commited to the club and I'd love to see us promoted with him, but he's not the best player in L1 as some would suggest and we could do well without him. He's an eye catching player for sure, he's one of the best players in the division, but you need a system to suit him, he's not someone for instance who can always play in a 4-4-2 if it's against 2 really strong midfielders or a decent 3. He needs a Luongo type for sure and he's better the further forward he plays 

• Like 1