Remember when people were telling us we need to get rid of Bannan?

I’ve not encountered any Wednesday fan that doesn’t think Bannan is a good player. He clearly is, he has great attitude, always puts in a shift and seems a nice guy.

Him being a good player or not eally isn’t the question or the issue.

As some have already pointed in the past few years our ethos of playing through him has been synonymous with abject  failure. Of coursd that isn’t all down to Bannan but it’s a fact nonetheless. Add to the fact he’s our biggest earner by some distance apparently you have to ask is he value for money? Carlton Palmer recently pointed out no one would pay the reported £27k a week he is on and hence why we haven’t received one tangible bid for him. Personally, I think it’s time for change and have thought it for a while and his huge wage at Lge 1 level could be utilised better in making the whole squad stronger. Bannan is also 33 in December and the high energy game he plays can’t last for much longer.

A different time and different t circumstances but a notable comparison was when Big Ron sold Dalian Atkinson in 1990 and with the funds acquired Williams, Wilson and Harkes making the balance of the team and overall strength oof squad better resulting in promotion and a cup win. Fast forward 2004 when Quinn, Bromby and Geary were allowed to leave and had good careers elsewhere. For us we got promoted the following season with the likes of Wood, Bullen and Whelan.

If you believe it’s right to keep a soon to be 33-year-old on a massively disproportionate high wage as our main game plan in sides that have failed hugely in recent years that’s your opinion. Very good player Bannan and be fondly remembered but for me it’s time for a change. If we go up playing through him next season I’ll be delighted and happily eat my words but if not then the evidence and time for change will be overwhelming

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Undoubtedly a good footballer, but ultimately we accomplished nothing. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

If he stays and we go up next year we can justify a thread suggesting it was a wise investment to keep him on board.

• Like 4

I’ll hold my hand up and admit I didn’t see us moving forward until Bannan left. That’s not me saying he isn’t a good player, he’s arguably in the Top 2/3 players to play for us this century.

No, it’s because I felt our football was too pedestrian and reliant on his influence. But Darren Moore has found a way of changing this and getting more out of Bannan as a result and I think everyone is happy for this including the player himself.

Also the captaincy fits him a lot better than it did 12 months ago and once again Moore deserves credit for this as he’s obviously allowed him to find a captaincy style that suits the player, the team and arguably the entire club.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, BIG D said:

You're right there, that was the lad from MKD.

He'll be gone so Bannan will be one of the top again.

I'd agree he'll be top 10 next year hopefully. Could be no 1 if he really really performs. This year Twine & Stewart were better in my opinion but others like Smith, the full back at Ipswich etc were possibly on a par for being as effective.

1 hour ago, True Owl said:

At the end of the day we've had the same core players which includes BB since 2015 and we've lost two Championship play offs, been relegated to league 1 and lost this years play off when the aim was to go up automatically, I also don't rate his corners or his free kicks and his penalties are 50/50. In the first half of this season he played too deep and slowed down the game in trying to dictate everything, but admittedly he had a better second half of the season and showed some strokes of genius, but we're in league 1 and he's a championship player on championship wages. If he plays to the end of his contract I fear the tactics won't change and we'll have another big wage earner who can just walk away from the club at the end of his career. In the spirit of a long over due re-build its time to cash in while we can still and get two new younger hungrier players in for what we're paying BB. 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I posted the above last summer. 

It turns out Moore adapted his system as the season progressed, and Bannan became central to that.

In particular, I was pleasantly surprised by how much Moore got out of him in an attacking sense in the second half of last season compared to what we've seen previously - pushing him slightly further forwards once Luongo and Byers returned from injury was a revelation.

I suppose one mark of a good manager is to adapt the system to suit their best players, and Moore certainly did that as far as Bannan was concerned last season.

1 hour ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

I've probably never changed my opinion after the first year of seeing him. Quality player but we've had better players in my opinion, such as K Lee. He's the sort of player some would call a luxury. For me, he's good to watch, he's commited to the club and I'd love to see us promoted with him, but he's not the best player in L1 as some would suggest and we could do well without him. He's an eye catching player for sure, he's one of the best players in the division, but you need a system to suit him, he's not someone for instance who can always play in a 4-4-2 if it's against 2 really strong midfielders or a decent 3. He needs a Luongo type for sure and he's better the further forward he plays 

I have only read the 1st page, but these 3 replies sum up more or less how I feel.

At the time - which IIRC was around the Wigan away win - the calls for him to be dropped (and possibly sold) were totally justified. He was a Championship player on Championship wages vastly under performing in League One. His wages and potential transfer fee in the coming wondow could have been better spent elsewhere to improve the team, IMO.

However, from around that point onwards, or soon after, he clicked into gear and started a true career season, and fair play to the lad for that. Maybe being dropped for that game was the kick up the rear end that he needed. But I'm 100% certain that have Luongo in particular, and Byers around him also, allowed him to do so. Credit must go to all parties involved for this - Luongo, Byers, Moore, but mostly Bannan himself.

If he can keep his form going into next season then we'll have a great chance of at least playoffs again.

Have I changed MY opinion? = yes, but I was never a "hater" as you've often tried to label me. I just had an opnion, which I still stand by was right, at that time.

Have I changed my opinion of the people who told me to have that opinion? = no, because no one told me to have that opinion. I made it myself. This is a forum where everyone has a right to voice an opinion. I'll listen to all opinions. Respect 95%, laugh at  the ridiculous 5%, but I'll always have MY OWN opinion.

Fair?

• Like 2

Team of the year 

Player of the year 

Goal of the season 

Double figures for goals and assists?

And we've got some halfwits on here saying he's not good enough and one going as far as to claim he could do as well if he was playing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Rotherham Wigan and Sunderland all got promoted without him in their team.

Last season 47 teams finished above us in the football pyramid and none of them had Bannan in their squads.

The idea that one of our players is somehow vital to our success is ridiculous, we don’t have any success as we are absolutely crap. 

The idea that you judge how good a player is solely by the final position of their team of is perhaps THE most simple minded thing ive read on here for quite a bit.

Well done. 👏

• Like 4

1 hour ago, True Owl said:

At the end of the day we've had the same core players which includes BB since 2015 and we've lost two Championship play offs, been relegated to league 1 and lost this years play off when the aim was to go up automatically, I also don't rate his corners or his free kicks and his penalties are 50/50. In the first half of this season he played too deep and slowed down the game in trying to dictate everything, but admittedly he had a better second half of the season and showed some strokes of genius, but we're in league 1 and he's a championship player on championship wages. If he plays to the end of his contract I fear the tactics won't change and we'll have another big wage earner who can just walk away from the club at the end of his career. In the spirit of a long over due re-build its time to cash in while we can still and get two new younger hungrier players in for what we're paying BB. 

Hate this argument buy crap instead of keeping quality.   

9 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Have I changed MY opinion? = yes, but I was never a "hater" as you've often tried to label me. I just had an opnion, which I still stand by was right, at that time. 

Why would you change your opinion if it was right?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

27 minutes ago, bobness said:

Undoubtedly a good footballer, but ultimately we accomplished nothing. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

If he stays and we go up next year we can justify a thread suggesting it was a wise investment to keep him on board.

We don't really need to go up to justify a thread suggesting it's a good idea to have Bannan in our team

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You said Bannan was the problem and that we should get rid

Then you say your opinion was right

Now you're saying you've changed your mind

Meaning your opinion wasn't correct obvs

Read my reply again, because I think you misunderstand me. And let me try to rephrase a little......

I still think my opinion was correct, AT THAT TIME. At that point Bannan had been poor, Wednesday had been poor, and we needed changes.

I changed my opinion on Bannan NOW, not Bannan in November 2021.

Is that more clear?

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You said Bannan was the problem and that we should get rid

Let me also be clear. Im pretty sure I never said that Bannan was THE PROBLEM. But he was certainly part of it, and he was certainly a way out of it at the time (wages + fee).

But as I said, he had a career season, he did great from that point onwards.

1 minute ago, steelerian said:

I still think my opinion was correct, AT THAT TIME. 

It wasn't correct though.

If we had listened to you we would have got rid of and lost the player of the season

So no - you weren't correct - as I was trying to tell you (and the rest of the bizarre Bannan Hate Festival gang) at the time that you were being crackers

You were being crackers

At least you've realised now though and have changed your mind

But at least be humble about it and admit you were completely and totally wrong

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop