Remember when people were telling us we need to get rid of Bannan?

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That could well have been his given role though - something that changed as the season went on

Yeah it could be. Could also be down to other players not doing what they're supposed to. Can only comment on what I saw though. 

We have a much better chance of winning promotion with him at the club than not. Bannan has genuine quality, he is almost always fit, he works hard and he is a genuine match winner. If he left we would not be able to get an upgrade in terms of skill set in League 1.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ThisCityIsOurs88 said:

It’s not moaning though is it. He’s absolutely right. We are crap.

I love Bannan but how much longer do we keep building a team round him. We’ve had zero success in recent seasons. Hes getting older and his value is decreasing each season we keep him on big wages. 

I just simply don’t think we can afford the luxury of him. 

Since New Year we've lost 6 games of football.

Two of those to sides that went up and one due to an inept referee.

We're not crap, that statement just simply isn't true.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

It doesn’t matter how you manipulate the stats the fact is we are closer to the top of the national league than we are to the top of the premier league.  That’s crap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

We are in the 3rd division..so i would say we arnt great

• Like 1

Guest Musttryharder
52 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What a mad couple of seasons it's been in our fanbase

People getting pulled into some mass psychosis bandwagon of telling others that Barry Bannan needs to go because he's the problem.
People telling us that because all the play goes through Bannan that we need to sell him asap and replace him with someone who plays less football

Twitter awash with people trying to push the idea that Bannan was the enemy of our success and that he didn't score enough too or that his corners were rubbish

Were you one of those people who jumped on that bandwagon? (might as well fess up as we can just use the search facility and find your posts anyway 🤣

If so - how do you feel about Bannan now?
Have you changed your opinion?

Have you changed your opinion of the people who told you to have that opinion?

For what its worth and you can go through whatever search facility you have to hand, I wasn't one who ever said get rid of Bannan. What I will stand by and I'll ask,

Do you think we get value for money from Bannan. 

Do you think he is worth say 4/5 (or possible more) times the average salary in this division. Can it really be justified and sustainable for another season.

I think he is one of the best players in this league, but we are league 1. 

I was one of those (although "need" is a strong word), and for some reason, it's one of the conversations I remember on this forum.

My point was back then, that if Wednesday had no real plan or prospect for promotion out of League One then we should sell him simply to make a quick buck and savings on wages to make up for our dire financial state.  This thinking was based on a pre-season acquisitions of players who were, in my opinion, not good enough to get us promoted.  It took us til the transfer window to actually get a team capable of having a real prospect of promotion.

In the end, it's a moot point.  We kept him, he had an excellent season  and we still didn't get promoted (see, recruitment mentioned above).  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What a mad couple of seasons it's been in our fanbase

People getting pulled into some mass psychosis bandwagon of telling others that Barry Bannan needs to go because he's the problem.
People telling us that because all the play goes through Bannan that we need to sell him asap and replace him with someone who plays less football

Twitter awash with people trying to push the idea that Bannan was the enemy of our success and that he didn't score enough too or that his corners were rubbish

Were you one of those people who jumped on that bandwagon? (might as well fess up as we can just use the search facility and find your posts anyway 🤣

If so - how do you feel about Bannan now?
Have you changed your opinion?

Have you changed your opinion of the people who told you to have that opinion?

I’m normally one of his harshest critics. But he’s been a pleasure to watch most of this season. I’m still not sure it’s any good from a return on investment perspective, but he’s been very good at this level. 

I guess the decision now is do we sell and try and get a younger model that we build around or get promoted and replace then? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 83owl said:

It doesn’t matter how you manipulate the stats the fact is we are closer to the top of the national league than we are to the top of the premier league.  That’s crap.

Haven't manipulated anything, just stated facts.

7 minutes ago, The coach said:

We are in the 3rd division..so i would say we arnt great

Haven't said we were great, at no point have I suggested that.

Just said we aren't crap, which we aren't.

40 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

he's not someone for instance who can always play in a 4-4-2

Hence DM using him further forward once we'd got the defence sorted and Luongo fit where he played further up the field...you have to laugh when you heard people saying " he prefers to sit at the base of midfield so he doesn't have to do any running and can just try hollywood passes all match long " Err...no he was playing where he was asked to play because we didn't have Luongo who ran that area of the pitch when he was fit and playing. His running stats match up with anyone at the club. No doubt they will be saying the player of the season award was a fluke and given because he was the highest paid player...you can't legislate for stupidity among the fan base some of whom wouldn't recognise a footballer if one bit them on the arris

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Like 5

Guest Musttryharder
11 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Even after being proved wrong time and time again this season the same people can't give it up.

lol

Im not one of those your aiming your comment at, but I dont get what you mean. We are discussing Bannan who hasnt been a part of a winning Sheffiled Wdnesday side. Meaning promotion or even the mickey mouse cup. He as been part of relegations and blowing play offs (twice) to gain promotion. He is a superb player but is a luxury we can do well without. If he is the saviour with that track record , then we have a pretty shiite recruitment policy and the rest of the squad are garbage.

57 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Rotherham Wigan and Sunderland all got promoted without him in their team.

Last season 47 teams finished above us in the football pyramid and none of them had Bannan in their squads.

The idea that one of our players is somehow vital to our success is ridiculous, we don’t have any success as we are absolutely crap. 

That means there all other teams that finished below us are crapper, Sunderland finished below us as well so they must be crap, try telling a Port Vale or Exeter City fan that there team is crap. :tango:

1 minute ago, bradowl said:

That means there all other teams that finished below us are crapper, Sunderland finished below us as well so they must be crap, try telling a Port Vale or Exeter City fan that there team is crap. :tango:

Find me a  Exeter or port vale fan and I’ll tell them their team is crap no problem. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1