SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

24 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Ok give me a team in league one that wouldn't swap those 5 for their pool of strikers ? 

I think our striking options are ok but not outstanding. You’d probably back Gregory, Smith and maybe Windass to get 10-15 but it’s unlikely that any would hit 20 IMO. Happy to be proven wrong but 20 goal a season strikers are a rarity here. Our strength is the goals we’ll score throughout the team.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jim said:

I think our striking options are ok but not outstanding. You’d probably back Gregory, Smith and maybe Windass to get 10-15 but it’s unlikely that any would hit 20 IMO. Happy to be proven wrong but 20 goal a season strikers are a rarity here. Our strength is the goals we’ll score throughout the team.

Had Gregory played the full season last season he'd have smashed 20, Smith did smash 20 last season so not sure on your logic to be fair. We have the best pool of forwards in the division that every other team would die for. One thing we do lack up top is pace but I'm sure we are looking at that and I'm confident that will be sorted before the window closes 

• Thanks 1

Just now, s29wfc said:

Had Gregory played the full season last season he'd have smashed 20, Smith did smash 20 last season so not sure on your logic to be fair. We have the best pool of forwards in the division that every other team would die for. One thing we do lack up top is pace but I'm sure we are looking at that and I'm confident that will be sorted before the window closes 

My logic is Gregory won’t play the full season and Smith will find it harder to score goals here than he did at Rotherham as we’re not as direct a side but we’ll revisit this at the end of the season then.

Hirst seems very very unlikely. But all those in for him have a good few strikers who will want to play. Hirst is probably better on the counter attack than what we have (excluding Windass) and also likely to outlast all of them at his age. I think the manner of departure was poor via Belgium but if he came back a better player on a free then even financially it works itself out 

• Like 5

Just now, Jim said:

My logic is Gregory won’t play the full season and Smith will find it harder to score goals here than he did at Rotherham as we’re not as direct a side but we’ll revisit this at the end of the season then.

Sure 🤔

31 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Ok give me a team in league one that wouldn't swap those 5 for their pool of strikers ? 

That’s my point, in my opinion we only have 3 strikers with one potentially going to Holland.  

Windass and Paterson are being played there but it’s not their strongest position in my opinion. It will be interesting for me to see if Moore agrees and signs another striker. 

Ipswich have 5 strikers in Ladapo, Chaplin, John-Jules, Aluko and Jackson.  And they are wanting to sign Hirst too.

2 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

That’s my point, in my opinion we only have 3 strikers with one potentially going to Holland.  

Windass and Paterson are being played there but it’s not their strongest position in my opinion. It will be interesting for me to see if Moore agrees and signs another striker. 

Ipswich have 5 strikers in Ladapo, Chaplin, John-Jules, Aluko and Jackson.  And they are wanting to sign Hirst too.

You could argue that Ipswich only have 2 strikers , would class Aluko, John-Jules and Chaplin the same way as you're classing Windass and Paterson ie not out and out strikers. If we sort out some pace up top we have all bases covered imo. If we can shift out Patto for let's say a Wilks then I'm happy with the 5 forwards we'll then have including Sow who i think will do well this season.

5 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Looking at the five they’ve got. I’m not surprised.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

Hirst seems very very unlikely. But all those in for him have a good few strikers who will want to play. Hirst is probably better on the counter attack than what we have (excluding Windass) and also likely to outlast all of them at his age. I think the manner of departure was poor via Belgium but if he came back a better player on a free then even financially it works itself out 

You know what thats a good way of looking at it to be fair.

• Thanks 1

Due to the nature of football it wouldn't matter one bit if Hirst returned. One or two games and a couple of goals, kissing the badge and clapping the fans and he'd probably be more liked than other strikers at the club. Albeit he might come in for more stick than others if he isn't wasn't quite performing. The only person who would have an issue with it is the chairman and that's why George Hirst will be riding a tractor in Suffolk in his down time for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

To say the fans wouldn't take to Hirst is a little precious surely? I think the fans would take to Adolf hitler if he scored enough and he's not got the surname of a Wednesday legend. Is he better than Gregory and/or Smith? It's certainly a debate which could go either way, but he's a far better age than those pair and neither of those two have played every game out of the first 3 league games, let alone over tje 46 game season. Should be the sort of player we're trying to sign 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, oneeyedmilkman said:

To say the fans wouldn't take to Hirst is a little precious surely? I think the fans would take to Adolf hitler if he scored enough and he's not got the surname of a Wednesday legend. Is he better than Gregory and/or Smith? It's certainly a debate which could go either way, but he's a far better age than those pair and neither of those two have played every game out of the first 3 league games, let alone over tje 46 game season. Should be the sort of player we're trying to sign 

Yes I agree,  as I said before we play with two central strikers so we need at least 4 good players for those positions in my view.  We have 6/7 midfielders for the 3 available places there.  As we’ve seen Moore will make changes at 55/60 minutes and freshen things up.  And with 43 league games, and 3 cup competitions I don’t think someone like Hirst will be short of game time, either from the start or the bench for 30 minutes. 

I don’t see Darren Moore signing a central striker at all,  George Hirst or anyone else 

He’ll be after a wide forward,  Personally still think Malik Wilks will sign 

21 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

I don’t see Darren Moore signing a central striker at all,  George Hirst or anyone else 

He’ll be after a wide forward,  Personally still think Malik Wilks will sign 

Personally I think he'll try to get 2 forwards in but as you say a pacey wide man is essential.

1 hour ago, s29wfc said:

But Gregory didn’t play the full season last season. He’s already missed 1 in 3 league games. I think it’s doubtful that he’ll play enough to beat 15 goals.
And we’ll be 10 games into the season before Smith plays a full game (or >75 mins). He might get 20 if he stays fit after his current injury, but he’ll need to score better than 1 in 2. Unlikely.

I think Windass might be a better bet for 20 goals if he plays like he did for the last 10 minutes on Saturday. But that probably requires BB being benched. Again, unlikely.

So far our forwards have contributed 1 league goal. And that a penalty. 15 goals from each of these three players would be a good return provided that the midfield keep chipping in and the defenders too.

Hirst has the got the makings of a very good player but he’s 24 in a few months and if I were his agent I’d be telling him he needs to be the main man somewhere. He’d be behind Windass, Gregory and Smith here. 

• Like 1