SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

28 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

Strange move but I suppose to protect asset should he do well at Millwall. 

Searching through the comments, they have cleared quite few players out and their fans seem angry!

They’ve had a rough 18 months bless ‘em. Must’ve been very exciting getting in the playoffs with Ismail in charge and new ownership - it’s all gone rapidly downhill since then 

14 hours ago, Owls Analytics said:

Shaw's move to Celtic is still a no brainer in my eyes. Higher guaranteed salary until 2025, better coaching and facilities. Even when things haven't gone well he's ended up with a loan to the same league we're in. Even if he was here still there would be 0 guarantee he jumps into starting 11. Struggling to see a downside currently.

The downside is Shaw has been at two clubs in the Scottish Premiership and has not been good enough for either. He is absolutely nowhere in the pecking order at Celtic and he has had a failed loan at Motherwell where he couldn’t even get into the starting XI at a seriously poor and struggling side. 

Maybe this loan at a level and club like Morecambe will do him good. He should play there and he has time to turn his career around. I hope it works out well for him but the move to Scotland other than financially has not been good for him.

• Like 4

I know I give him stick but I said at the time that I didn’t blame him for leaving Wednesday because we were in such a mess at the time. I just didn’t think it was a good career move (yes I know he’s managed to land a decent contract) but I’ve been proven right. Career wise it’s been a disaster for him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Don’t understand it. A truly outstanding (some say) player struggling to get himself a deal. Could end up at the car crash that is Birmingham. 

Perhaps his wage demands are too high for some clubs.

Then again I think I'd  take a lesser deal to not go to that poohole.

55 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I know I give him stick but I said at the time that I didn’t blame him for leaving Wednesday because we were in such a mess at the time. I just didn’t think it was a good career move (yes I know he’s managed to land a decent contract) but I’ve been proven right. Career wise it’s been a disaster for him. 

That's assuming he'd have been any better off if he'd stayed here.

Shaw had decent potential, but that's all it was. Similar to Alex Hunt, who's also failed to kick on, really.

Chances are he'd have been down the pecking order here before too long once Moore started bringing his own players in.

We'd probably have ended up loaning him out to somewhere like Morecambe ourselves given the way we've strengthened our midfield in the past two seasons.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

54 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's assuming he'd have been any better off if he'd stayed here.

Shaw had decent potential, but that's all it was. Similar to Alex Hunt, who's also failed to kick on, really.

Chances are he'd have been down the pecking order here before too long once Moore started bringing his own players in.

We'd probably have ended up loaning him out to somewhere like Morecambe ourselves given the way we've strengthened our midfield in the past two seasons.

TBF Shaw was actually getting games at Championship level, Alex has not been able to force his way into a L1 team. Shaw's development has regressed though his wage packet will have definitely progressed in the short term. Alex needed to go to develop Shaw didn't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

TBF Shaw was actually getting games at Championship level, Alex has not been able to force his way into a L1 team. Shaw's development has regressed though his wage packet will have definitely progressed in the short term. Alex needed to go to develop Shaw didn't.

He didn't play all that much, really: just 980 minutes, so equivalent to fewer than 11 full games in his final season with us, in which we were relegated.

He was up against the likes of Pelupessy and Izzy Brown for a midfield berth that season, so it's pretty likely he'd have found himself further down the pecking order once we brought in players like Byers, Adeniran, Vaulks, and Bakinson.

• Like 1

Tbf, on paper, a move to Celtic seemed like an absolute no brainer for Shaw and Urhoghide, particularly when you consider what an absolute mess we were in at that time. 

You back yourself and, if you make it, you get to play for a big club, big crowds, potentially in Europe. 

Neither has made the grade and now they find themselves in League One and Belgium respectively. 

Who knows, if they had stuck around here, they could be important players, but it's all hypotheticals. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, on paper, a move to Celtic seemed like an absolute no brainer for Shaw and Urhoghide, particularly when you consider what an absolute mess we were in at that time. 

You back yourself and, if you make it, you get to play for a big club, big crowds, potentially in Europe. 

Neither has made the grade and now they find themselves in League One and Belgium respectively. 

Who knows, if they had stuck around here, they could be important players, but it's all hypotheticals. 

In hindsight Shaw and Urhoghide would have been strong players in this squad.

Shaw especially would have been excellent playing in the same role as Bakinson in my opinion.

41 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Lets not forget Shaw was out on Loan in 2019 to Chesterfield which will have helped his development even if it was only a handful of games. Hunt hasnt developed even having been oout on loan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tea Baggins said:

In hindsight Shaw and Urhoghide would have been strong players in this squad.

Shaw especially would have been excellent playing in the same role as Bakinson in my opinion.

Neither would get in our team at present,   Urhoghide is nowhere near the level of Liam Palmer 

Shaw might have got a game at Bradford other night, but he wouldn’t get anywhere near that first choice midfield ,  Very similar level to Alex Hunt 

10 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Neither would get in our team at present,   Urhoghide is nowhere near the level of Liam Palmer 

Shaw might have got a game at Bradford other night, but he wouldn’t get anywhere near that first choice midfield ,  Very similar level to Alex Hunt 

I think Urhoghide would have been good at RCB not RB.

Very similar type of player as Iorfa imo