SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

1 minute ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

appreciate that but think by September they would be fine . Mid September 6 weeks away ish . Plenty of time for them to get up to speed . 

In theory, but experience says that's optimistic. 

As soon as night follows day, players will play, then quickly pick up an injury and miss several weeks. 

There is a.marked difference between being 'fit' and the physical conditioning and robustness provided by a pre season 

Good players, but a waste of wages IMO to pay someone for 6 weeks to get fit and then pay them for doing rehab.

8 minutes ago, striker said:

As soon as night follows day, players will play, then quickly pick up an injury and miss several weeks. 

There is a.marked difference between being 'fit' and the physical conditioning and robustness provided by a pre season 

Good players, but a waste of wages IMO to pay someone for 6 weeks to get fit and then pay them for doing rehab.

hopefully we get dean or someone ready anyway like to save whatever pre season as such is needed 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, striker said:

They have not been playing for about 2 months, very different scenario to N M L so you can't compare......lots of players don't join a club until late in the window

The club should have a bespoke fitness programme to fix this 

11 hours ago, 0114 said:

He’s not going to wavier a penny mate.

He has a guaranteed £30K p/w going in his pocket. He’s not going to risk £500,000 on a possible promotion bonus.

He’s going to dig his heels in until Birmingham compromise or he’s going nowhere. They’ll have to fork out £30k p/w regardless, may as well save themselves £10k p/w for another signing. 

You have categorically no idea about that 

a footballer coming to his later part of his career may look at a potential promotion campaign and find that more appealing to drop 500k especially if he’s earning 1million with bonus clauses and signing on fees 

As well  as all that it was shown as an equal split to highlight compromise and not suggested as a deal to be offered hence the words “for example” followed by the bracketed ( not suggesting this will be offered ) 

anyway my point is I can absolutely see someone like Harley dean compromising a wage drop to some extent for the right club / challenge rather than being frozen out for another season that may be 25% plus of his remaining career 

2 minutes ago, fpowl said:

You have categorically no idea about that 

a footballer coming to his later part of his career may look at a potential promotion campaign and find that more appealing to drop 500k especially if he’s earning 1million with bonus clauses and signing on fees 

As well  as all that it was shown as an equal split to highlight compromise and not suggested as a deal to be offered hence the words “for example” followed by the bracketed ( not suggesting this will be offered ) 

anyway my point is I can absolutely see someone like Harley dean compromising a wage drop to some extent for the right club / challenge rather than being frozen out for another season that may be 25% plus of his remaining career 

I know he’s not sacrificing £10K p/w on a promotion gamble. 

He will want settling up. Birmingham are stuck paying £31k p/w until 2023 regardless. May as well subside it and have some money to contribute towards a player who can get in the first team. 

1 hour ago, striker said:

I wouldn't take a player on at this stage without having a pre season. To do so would mean they wouldn't be available until October/November time anyway.

Haven’t we just had a 6 week preseason 

given that dons if that was tactical I’m sure we do an intense fitness course and reduce that down to 4 week 

that puts themselves back beginning of September and kissing around 5/6 games 

I think it would be extremely short sited to dismiss any player on a free that the club seems to think can contribute and improve our first game based on not having a pre-season and the current campaign being 1 game old  

2 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I know he’s not sacrificing £10K p/w on a promotion gamble. 

He will want settling up. Birmingham are stuck paying £31k p/w until 2023 regardless. May as well subside it and have some money to contribute towards a player who can get in the first team. 

Well you said he’s not sacrificing a penny earlier 

but just on your latest post how do you know he wouldn’t sacrifice 10k

1) you don’t 

2) that’s probably based on your opinion that you would do even though you’ve never been faced slightly with the reality of making such a decision 

2 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Well you said he’s not sacrificing a penny earlier 

but just on your latest post how do you know he wouldn’t sacrifice 10k

1) you don’t 

2) that’s probably based on your opinion that you would do even though you’ve never been faced slightly with the reality of making such a decision 

He’s not sacrificing a penny, where did I say otherwise?

Let me break it down, slowly. 

He’s on a gigantic deal that he will never in his life get again as a player. Birmingham are the ones stuck paying £30K p/w. They may for 12 months have to subside a chunk of that to allow them more freedom in the market. 

Dean isn’t going to take a £10K p/w waiver like you suggested & I don’t blame him one bit. 

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Bit crazy to think that guys like Hector, Mawson can't find a club. 

Suggests that money must be real tight in the EFL. 

Don’t clubs pay players up until the end of July if they haven’t found a new club after their contract expires at the end of June? I seem to remember reading some info about this previously

Just now, beswetherick said:

Don’t clubs pay players up until the end of July if they haven’t found a new club after their contract expires at the end of June? I seem to remember reading some info about this previously

Could be that. 

I will say though that I'd be looking at Hector as a possible option. 

Appreciate he's no spring chicken (though only 30), but his ability on the ball could be a real asset for us. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Bit crazy to think that guys like Hector, Mawson can't find a club. 

Suggests that money must be real tight in the EFL. 

I’m surprised both haven’t been picked up yet. I thought they were both players that would of been out of Wednesday’s reach this summer, but the longer they’re unavailable the more chance we have with players of that calibre.

Only concern is none have had a pre season. 

Steve Bruce has been considering Mawson but he said that his injury record doesn’t make good reading…….

Mawson suffered a knee injurythat required surgery midway through his debut season (2018/19) with the West Londoners. He made just 15/38 league appearances.

The following campaign (2019/20) saw the 28-year-old feature in 27/46 league outings, once again undergoing knee surgery midway through. He spent the 2020/21 season on loan at Bristol City but made only 11 league appearances before undergoing knee surgery in October which kept him out for three months.

Mawson was back in January 2021 and played a handful of games before a cruciate ligament injury forced Fulham to recall him. That injury kept the defender out until the 2021/22 season, but he managed just six league appearances before being released at the end of the campaign.

50 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Haven’t we just had a 6 week preseason 

given that dons if that was tactical I’m sure we do an intense fitness course and reduce that down to 4 week 

that puts themselves back beginning of September and kissing around 5/6 games 

I think it would be extremely short sited to dismiss any player on a free that the club seems to think can contribute and improve our first game based on not having a pre-season and the current campaign being 1 game old  

You and other posters are right, in that it should be achievable, but just isn't. 

Mendez-Laing, Green in recent years have shown that. Bringing in players even though they had a pre season after not playing games, Dean, before that Flint, both injured for most of their time here. 

Even Windass, got injured in pre season last year, didn't have the robustness needed and missed most of the season through a series of injuries.

What you and others are saying is perfectly plausible, just doesn't happen in practice, I wish it did. I can't think of a single player we've brought in without a pre season whose played consistently without injury. 

Hector, despite my concerns about fitness I would actually love here, but Mawson is fantasy. He's been injury prone for years, not a chance he'd play more than a dozen games this season.

Edited by striker

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

This!! Last season I went on a salary site and looked at Accrington Stanley wages for their starting XI and it totalled circa 11k. I know you have to take those sites with a pinch of salt but the disparity in budgets in this league is horrific. We absolutely don’t need to be spending 10s of thousands of pounds per week per player to be competitive. 

Totally agree ........... Morecambe are currently in contract negotiations with last seasons 20 odd goal top scorer Cole Stockton with a view to making him the highest paid player in their history at £2k per week!

Edited by casbahowl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

One player I would have liked us to take a chance on was McAtee at Grimsby. Just signed for Luton and will spend next season back on loan with Grimsby. 

Yeah agree, he looks a good signing and smart to loan him back to the same club playing in a higher league - still think we should look to do the same with Alex Hunt, maybe securing an option for one more year with us after the loan if he does well.

Then again, the pigs seem to be about to sign his brother from Man City who’s supposed to be a top prospect, if we’d have got him rather than luton you could just imagine the sneering about having “the better brother” etc blah blah blah… 

Genuinely rather we signed a proper centre forward than another wide attacker like Wilks 

Still say someone like Rayhann Tulloch would be a good option for us 

7 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Genuinely rather we signed a proper centre forward than another wide attacker like Wilks 

Still say someone like Rayhann Tulloch would be a good option for us 

Does he make them biscuits that come in foil wrappers?

• Haha 1