SWFC Goalkeeper Situation

If Dawson wanted to leave that would mean that we need to sign 2/3 keepers and it would make sense to then try and keep JW in case the summer doesn’t go as planned.

Both Dawson and Wildsmith may want to have a fresh start elsewhere though

I think a full year as first choice under Dawsons belt, should mean he’s improved significantly. The question is, does he come back as our number 1. My opinion is we will sell him to Exeter and sign another BPF on loan. Wildsmith is a good enough number 2 for me at present and given his age, he should still be improving.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Cameron Dawson back at SWFC now

Joe Wildsmith has just been offered a new contract

Thoughts?

I think that we'll have limited funds and those funds will likely be used to strengthen elsewhere.

Dawson will be our new number one. Wildsmith will sign a new contract and be backup. Whether you rate Dawson or not, he kept 19 clean sheets last season and almost won player of the season.

I don't particularly have a problem with Dawson between the sticks, provided he comes back and shows the sort of performances he showed for exeter. 

• Like 7

Am I right in thinking that by offering JW a new deal, we would be entitled to some compensation if he then went elsewhere as an academy product?

Maybe he is too old for that to apply now but do seem to recall this rule from George Hirst for example if he had gone straight to Leicester.

9 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Neither Wildsmith nor Dawson are anywhere near as bad as they are made out to be in these august pages 

Both would be more than good enough 

Youd be happy to start with Wildsmith 

lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Neither Wildsmith nor Dawson are anywhere near as bad as they are made out to be in these august pages 

Agree with Lorry, but if one left I'd sign Chapman who's been released by Gillingham 6ft 4" and good in the air

Firstly I'd be happy with Dawson starting. I live in Exeter and he's had nothing short of praise from their fans (and coaches) down here and if anyone knows about exeter city they can spot a player.

However it could well be that we also have neither on our books by the start of the season.

Dawson may request a move if he's been told he's number 2 and wildsmith may reject a contract as number 2 or number 3.

To sum up...we don't know

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

I'm of the opposite persuasion on this

I feel Dawson should find a new club where he can dominate and succeed with confidence

Wildsmith needs to go find a club where he's got a real shot at playing

Both keepers don't have the confidence to play consistently in front of our fans - especially at home

My evidence for this?

The last couple of years of them playing in goal, in front of our fans, especially at home.

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop