SWFC Goalkeeper Situation

Dawson are peas in a pod.  Both very average, both with weaknesses albeit, different to each other.

They have both done well by being in the shadows.  Some people make entire careers out of it, in any workplace.  Not much is asked, not much is expected, but just picking up the salary until retirement.  Which is why both will be happy to be the backup goalkeepers until they're in their late 30s.

If we want promotion, then "good enough for League One" isn't good enough.  We need "good enough for the championship".  Wildsmith and Dawson are not the future, unless our future is third tier football. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, The coach said:

When wer last time that happened then?

Who's that bloke up front for Tottenham......England Captain I think.....supposedly subject to a £100m bid from City last summer?

Or that Beckham bloke.....how did it pan out for him when he went back to Man Utd from Preston

• Like 2

‘Give Dawson a chance’ 

‘Why are we writing him off?’

’We’ve not played a game yet’

Football fans have a very short memory. 

Dawson has had more than enough opportunities in a SWFC shirt. He isn’t good enough. Makes a mistake a game. Positionally poor. Glued to his line. 

He’s not a kid anymore. Let him go to to Exeter. I think one of the things he’s always struggled with is the pressure of playing for  us. Nothing against the lad but, it’ll be rinse and repeat in 6 months when we’re crying out for a keeper.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

‘Give Dawson a chance’ 

‘Why are we writing him off?’

’We’ve not played a game yet’

Football fans have a very short memory. 

Dawson has had more than enough opportunities in a SWFC shirt. He isn’t good enough. Makes a mistake a game. Positionally poor. Glued to his line. 

He’s not a kid anymore. Let him go to to Exeter. I think one of the things he’s always struggled with is the pressure of playing for  us. Nothing against the lad but, it’ll be rinse and repeat in 6 months when we’re crying out for a 

Players improve. Better to judge him on his most recent season. Moore and his team will undoubtedly have kept an eye on him last season. If they like what they saw, as the Exeter coaches and fans did, he may well start as our number one next season. If that is the case he needs backing but unfortunately it's likely he'll be scrutinised more critically than BPF was last season when some of his gaffes were excused.... thankfully.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2022 at 10:55, @owlstalk said:

I'm of the opposite persuasion on this

I feel Dawson should find a new club where he can dominate and succeed with confidence

Wildsmith needs to go find a club where he's got a real shot at playing

Both keepers don't have the confidence to play consistently in front of our fans - especially at home

My evidence for this?

The last couple of years of them playing in goal, in front of our fans, especially at home.

Fans fault then as per.

• Haha 1

Guest Andy W
On 21/05/2022 at 10:18, @owlstalk said:

Cameron Dawson back at SWFC now

Joe Wildsmith has just been offered a new contract

Thoughts?

Why keep either?

Guest Andy W
On 23/05/2022 at 11:01, Manwë said:

Dawson are peas in a pod.  Both very average, both with weaknesses albeit, different to each other.

They have both done well by being in the shadows.  Some people make entire careers out of it, in any workplace.  Not much is asked, not much is expected, but just picking up the salary until retirement.  Which is why both will be happy to be the backup goalkeepers until they're in their late 30s.

If we want promotion, then "good enough for League One" isn't good enough.  We need "good enough for the championship".  Wildsmith and Dawson are not the future, unless our future is third tier football. 

Our future IS third tier football

Guest Andy W
On 21/05/2022 at 10:36, Inspector Lestrade said:

Wildsmith & Dawson are good enough for our present needs.

Our present standard are very low though

Guest Andy W
2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I disagree

You are more than welcome to do so, that's why it's a forum

Dawson has only played in teams that were devoid of confidence and poorly managed and organised. 

Factor in his inexperience and really he didn't do that much wrong. 

Bpf made a number of costly errors earlier in the season. Ipswich away springs to mind mainly. If Dawson had made that mistake he would have been lambasted. 

At Exeter he has gained experience and confidence. Let's welcome back Dawson as our number 1 and soend precious funds elsewhere it is more needed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 23/05/2022 at 07:37, Ian said:

Who's that bloke up front for Tottenham......England Captain I think.....supposedly subject to a £100m bid from City last summer?

Or that Beckham bloke.....how did it pan out for him when he went back to Man Utd from Preston

When someone says "when was the last time that happened?", it might be wise not to reply with an example that's more recent than 1995

lol

Some people on this thread need a head wobble.

We are in the third tier of English football.

Almost all teams at our level would be looking at Dawson and thinking he could improve what they have in the goalkeeping department.

So, Wednesday fans know what he has done before that give us a few shudders about his future for us, but what every other club is looking at is his performances in the season just gone.

You can only be judged on your current form.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, DaveClark said:

Some people on this thread need a head wobble.

We are in the third tier of English football.

Almost all teams at our level would be looking at Dawson and thinking he could improve what they have in the goalkeeping department.

So, Wednesday fans know what he has done before that give us a few shudders about his future for us, but what every other club is looking at is his performances in the season just gone.

You can only be judged on your current form.

Bang on

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Jamal Blackman just been released by Huddersfield Town. 

Bring him in on a 1 season contract for some experience if necessary, give Dawson a big chunk of play time, give Pierce Charles a game or two here or there. I wouldn't be worried with this set up.

• Haha 1

On 23/05/2022 at 20:13, Mighty Quinn said:

Well my suggestion Aaron Chapman has been signed by Steve Evans at Stevenage that's the 3rd time he's signed him so must be decent 

The phuck does this even mean. 

He's throw