SWFC Goalkeeper Situation

34 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

We need a new keeper.

Why? I think Dawson has earned another opportunity. Probably on less wages than many. See how he gets on in pre season and if they feel the need to sign someone on loan I’m sure we will. 

Certainly other parts of the squad that are more urgent to upgrade. Centre backs and strikers for starters. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Cameron Dawson back at SWFC now

Joe Wildsmith has just been offered a new contract

Thoughts?

Missed the bit about Wildsmith. Probably would have released him to be honest, he was dreadful the season we got relegated. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BIG D said:

If I was the manager I’d be disappointed that someone of Wildsmiths age is happy to be a backup keeper in League 1. 
Go and have a career somewhere ffs and play games. 

For his sake hopefully he doesn't  sign. He's only been offered the chance to stay. He may have made his mind up he is leaving regardless of contract offer or not. Must be tempting for a Wednesday fan to have a contract to sign but he is only going to be 2nd or 3rd choice.

33 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I think a full year as first choice under Dawsons belt, should mean he’s improved significantly. The question is, does he come back as our number 1. My opinion is we will sell him to Exeter and sign another BPF on loan. Wildsmith is a good enough number 2 for me at present and given his age, he should still be improving.

Yes!
If the objective is to get out of this league , then we have to have a strong, consistent keeper on loan from the Championship 

25 minutes ago, apswfcowl said:

Am I right in thinking that by offering JW a new deal, we would be entitled to some compensation if he then went elsewhere as an academy product?

Maybe he is too old for that to apply now but do seem to recall this rule from George Hirst for example if he had gone straight to Leicester.

Yes I thought that was if the player was Under 24 or maybe 23.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Both keepers don't have the confidence to play consistently in front of our fans - especially at home

My evidence for this?

The last couple of years of them playing in goal, in front of our fans, especially at home.

dawson hasnt played in front of our fans in the last couple of years .....he's now 2 years older  with a full succesful season under his belt so you'd think his confidence would high .

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

Why are we writing Dawson off before even playing?

Was thrown into the team in the Championship and naturally had some iffy games (but also some good games).

He's since had a really bad injury but battled back and had an outstanding season at Exeter. 

They are desperate to keep him but can't afford. He is still only 26 so is far from his prime. He's deserved his chance to become our number one after that loan spell and we should give him every opportunity to earn it in pre season.

Agree. If he hadn’t played here before and we’d signed a 26 year old from Exeter with 19 clean sheets there would be a positive reaction.

My head says he should now have his shot here. But then there’s that other side of things whereby he’s coming in again after another good keeper and any mistake will be jumped on as he will always have his detractors now. It’s whether it can actually work for him here because of that.

Guest I Love Coffee

Both nowhere near the standard we need.

Wildsmith seems happy being on the bench, he's ok to cover that role.

Guest Theboylangers
45 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm of the opposite persuasion on this

I feel Dawson should find a new club where he can dominate and succeed with confidence

Wildsmith needs to go find a club where he's got a real shot at playing

Both keepers don't have the confidence to play consistently in front of our fans - especially at home

My evidence for this?

The last couple of years of them playing in goal, in front of our fans, especially at home.

Absolutely bang right. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

If I was Dawson I'd want to sign for a club where i can be first choice and a success like the season he's had this season

If I was Wildsmith I'd want to move on 

Ideally I'd like us to shift one of them on. 

Not sure how Hall and Render are progressing but I'd like to think Render should be knocking on the bench any time now. 

I'm sure someone knowledgeable can update me on them though.

• Like 1

Neither good enough and we will be less than 5 games in when the majority are moaning about a Dawson clanger.  

I think with Dawson it is mental and he would be best for him to leave his home town club.

• Like 1

Perhaps reading too much into it, but I feel that we are looking to bring in new first choice keeper and sell Dawson before his contract runs out next season.

Guess that is why We offered Wildsmith new deal. Perhaps Moore thought it was too much to find two new first team keepers in single transfer window.

Having a good goalkeeper is hugely important and often under appreciated. You only have to look at what a massive influence Henderson had at utd to see that. Vital that we make some good calls on this front. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see dawson have another shot 

That loan will have done him the good 

Unfortunately one mistake and the lads confidence would be ripped to shreds with the  vile abuse he would get 

Best he moved on for his own sake 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, apswfcowl said:

Am I right in thinking that by offering JW a new deal, we would be entitled to some compensation if he then went elsewhere as an academy product?

Maybe he is too old for that to apply now but do seem to recall this rule from George Hirst for example if he had gone straight to Leicester.

Wildsmith is 26, that only applies to under 24 years of age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1