SWFC Goalkeeper Situation

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

If I was Dawson I'd want to sign for a club where i can be first choice and a success like the season he's had this season

If I was Wildsmith I'd want to move on 

And if both stay what does it say about the two players? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Certainly deserves a clean slate IMO. Recency trumps history IMO and especially now that the Westwood circus has long since departed.

Regrettable however there are some who'll be eagerly awaiting any slip to confirm their adverse and  irrevocable opinions. 

It’s football people don’t deserve anything,you get in if your good enough and you keep your place the same 

40 minutes ago, parajack said:

It’s football people don’t deserve anything,you get in if your good enough and you keep your place the same 

Absolutely. He's back next season after a storming season just gone. If he gets his chance and continues in his most recent form then he'll likely keep his place and most of us will be happy.

10 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

Why are we writing Dawson off before even playing?

Was thrown into the team in the Championship and naturally had some iffy games (but also some good games).

He's since had a really bad injury but battled back and had an outstanding season at Exeter. 

They are desperate to keep him but can't afford. He is still only 26 so is far from his prime. He's deserved his chance to become our number one after that loan spell and we should give him every opportunity to earn it in pre season.

Agree completely. I don't know why it's gotten into the Wednesdayite popular consensus that Dawson isn't a good keeper, he was brilliant for us at first and then had to deal with the most depressing run of mismanagement since 1999. The fact that he's done so well at Exeter for me implies that his true nature is that of a keeper that can do it and is ready, he's earned a chance at very least. Those seasons he got buggered by Jos, Monk, and Pulis are the ones he should have spent on loan.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, parajack said:

And if both stay what does it say about the two players? 

It says they both realise they know they arnt good enough. But they like the wedge and are happy to sit on the bench gettin splinters in the old arris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

Why are we writing Dawson off before even playing?

Was thrown into the team in the Championship and naturally had some iffy games (but also some good games).

He's since had a really bad injury but battled back and had an outstanding season at Exeter. 

They are desperate to keep him but can't afford. He is still only 26 so is far from his prime. He's deserved his chance to become our number one after that loan spell and we should give him every opportunity to earn it in pre season.

Question is, if Dawson wasn’t one of our own would you want the keeper from the League 2 runners up to replace BPF as our number 1 ?

Personally I don’t se how Dawson deserves to be our number 1 based on what he’s done elsewhere 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Cameron Dawson back at SWFC now

Joe Wildsmith has just been offered a new contract

Thoughts?

It would be remiss of us to not give Dawson a try given the season he’s just had - even if that “try” is in preseason. 

Sometime players come back better from a loan spell. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Don Penn (pen) said:

Both have been given chances by 6 Managers and been exposed as not being good enough. Dawson going nowhere permanent yet as hes on a contract he’ll never see again. As for Offering Wildsmith a contract, that amazes me

Have a massive correctamondo on me..very worrying times 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Question is, if Dawson wasn’t one of our own would you want the keeper from the League 2 runners up to replace BPF as our number 1 ?

Personally I don’t se how Dawson deserves to be our number 1 based on what he’s done elsewhere 

Personally I think the question should be ; has he improved sufficiently to be considered by our coaching team as a potential  number one for us. I doubt many on here saw enough of him last season to make a valid assessment. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

I think that we'll have limited funds and those funds will likely be used to strengthen elsewhere.

Dawson will be our new number one. Wildsmith will sign a new contract and be backup. Whether you rate Dawson or not, he kept 19 clean sheets last season and almost won player of the season.

I don't particularly have a problem with Dawson between the sticks, provided he comes back and shows the sort of performances he showed for exeter. 

God help us

8 hours ago, shandypants said:

It would be remiss of us to not give Dawson a try given the season he’s just had - even if that “try” is in preseason. 

Sometime players come back better from a loan spell. 

This. 100%.

I know he's had his faults in the past. I'm fully aware that he's struggled in front of our crowd. But sometimes, it takes just the sort of season he's just had to really shine and grow in confidence. I watched a few of the exeter games (I'm local to the area) and he's been a different keeper than the one I've watched at Hillsborough in the past. 

There is no reason at all to not have him back in and to assess where he's at now. I've no doubt that the coaching team will be keeping a close eye on him and making the correct judgement. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Personally I think the question should be ; has he improved sufficiently to be considered by our coaching team as a potential  number one for us. I doubt many on here saw enough of him last season to make a valid assessment. 

Fair enough. Amounts to the same thing

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

That they want to play for a club with ambition and potential?

LOL....Niether have been first choice keepers  in the last season,one loaned out to the 4th Division...You seriously saying if they stay its to progress their careers?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

This. 100%.

I know he's had his faults in the past. I'm fully aware that he's struggled in front of our crowd. But sometimes, it takes just the sort of season he's just had to really shine and grow in confidence. I watched a few of the exeter games (I'm local to the area) and he's been a different keeper than the one I've watched at Hillsborough in the past. 

There is no reason at all to not have him back in and to assess where he's at now. I've no doubt that the coaching team will be keeping a close eye on him and making the correct judgement. 

Theres EVERY reason not to have him back,if he starts dropping clangers again it will cost us for two reasons,DM will want to play it out and this puts GK and defenders under pressure when teams high press(they will)

Dawson no good at playing sweeper & his kicking not good.Likes to stay on his line....

If he is first choice pre season,who do we put in the net if it doesnt work out? JW? cos that wont work either which is why i am bemused he has been offered new terms...

Hardly a way to start to eradicate errors is it?...

• Like 4