SWFC Goalkeeper Situation

Our goalkeeping situation needs sorting! Seriously, what the hell are we doing offering Wildsmith another contract? 

We really shouldnt have to put up with another season of watching Dawson and Wildsmith bumbling around as our two keepers! Sick of it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Guest I Love Coffee

Regarding comments about them not being able to handle playing at home - I think thats probably true.

The mental aspect of the game is just as important as the physical one. If they are second rate in the mental department then I'm afraid thats not good enough for us. We need strong characters who thrive under pressure.

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Cameron Dawson back at SWFC now

Joe Wildsmith has just been offered a new contract

Thoughts?

It was bad enough being lumbered with these 2 lads, but compounding it by sleepwalking into extending the relationship just beggars belief. I know we are tied to Dawson but surely Wildsmith should be on his way. Unless of course the wages offered are very, very low.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris Apolon said:

Firstly I'd be happy with Dawson starting. I live in Exeter and he's had nothing short of praise from their fans (and coaches) down here and if anyone knows about exeter city they can spot a player.

However it could well be that we also have neither on our books by the start of the season.

Dawson may request a move if he's been told he's number 2 and wildsmith may reject a contract as number 2 or number 3.

To sum up...we don't know

They can spot a player?  Is that the reason for all their success?  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Give Dawson a chance without the threat of being dropped after every mistake.

BPF dropped loads of clangers last season, if we had shown Dawson the same patience, his confidence wouldn't be an issue.

As I recall it Dawson was making mistakes on a regular basis, his confidence was shot and he should have been removed from the firing line much sooner than he was for his own good.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, mogbad said:

As I recall it Dawson was making mistakes on a regular basis, his confidence was shot and he should have been removed from the firing line much sooner than he was for his own good.

Every time he made a mistake he had the threat of Wildsmith and Westwood hanging over him. He knew he wasn't always first choice and the fans would have Westwood back at the drop of a hat.

The way the team was set up, any mistake could have been his last.

It's a lot easier to recover from a mistake if you know you'll definitely get another chance.

BPF had a 4-5 game streak where he made mistake after mistake, but he was still playing and he recovered to have a decent season, Dawson never got that opportunity. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

dawson hasnt played in front of our fans in the last couple of years .....he's now 2 years older  with a full succesful season under his belt so you'd think his confidence would high .

Certainly deserves a clean slate IMO. Recency trumps history IMO and especially now that the Westwood circus has long since departed.

Regrettable however there are some who'll be eagerly awaiting any slip to confirm their adverse and  irrevocable opinions. 

11 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Every time he made a mistake he had the threat of Wildsmith and Westwood hanging over him. He knew he wasn't always first choice and the fans would have Westwood back at the drop of a hat.

The way the team was set up, any mistake could have been his last.

It's a lot easier to recover from a mistake if you know you'll definitely get another chance.

BPF had a 4-5 game streak where he made mistake after mistake, but he was still playing and he recovered to have a decent season, Dawson never got that opportunity. 

Surely every player whether a professional or playing for the local pub team knows that if he makes mistakes there's somebody on the sidelines waiting to grab their spot. If a professional can't handle that pressure he needs to find another career.

I actually think there's a good keeper in Dawson but he made the same mistakes and showed the same weaknesses time and again, whether that was down to coaching or attitude I've no idea. Hopefully he's managed to iron out his faults during this time at Exeter.

Personally I'll be surprised if either of Dawson or Wildsmith is first choice when the season starts.  I suspect we'll bring someone in and one of Dawson or Wildsmith will be loaned out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

If I was Dawson I'd want to sign for a club where i can be first choice and a success like the season he's had this season

If I was Wildsmith I'd want to move on 

Dawson has had a very good season for a promotion winning team one league below.

I think he could easily do very well in League One this season. And if he hadn’t played for us he’s be exactly the type we’d be pleased about signing.

The problem is our fans. As soon as he made a mistake the vocal minority would be on him, they’ve made their mind up.

Dawson would’ve never survived the mistakes BPF made before Xmas. The fans would have made it impossible for him.

im wondering if Wildsmith is signing because we are going to let Dawson go to Exeter.

Edited by JemmoJemoJemmo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Surely every player whether a professional or playing for the local pub team knows that if he makes mistakes there's somebody on the sidelines waiting to grab their spot. If a professional can't handle that pressure he needs to find another career.

I actually think there's a good keeper in Dawson but he made the same mistakes and showed the same weaknesses time and again, whether that was down to coaching or attitude I've no idea. Hopefully he's managed to iron out his faults during this time at Exeter.

Personally I'll be surprised if either of Dawson or Wildsmith is first choice when the season starts.  I suspect we'll bring someone in and one of Dawson or Wildsmith will be loaned out.

So did BPF last season.

Clangers, bad at crosses. Terrified of his near post.

But we kept playing him and he got better as the season went on.

• Like 1

As the play off final today shows, goalkeepers are so key. They all make errors but it's the amount and nature of those errors that's key. We also saw with Westwood at his peak, the importance of a keeper who is respected (feared) by his defenders.

I think Joe being offered a new deal makes sense as he won't be on big wages, has experience of playing for Wednesday and is a decent back up if not no.1, particularly as it's sensible to start the season with three keepers.

• Like 1

Neither Wildsmith or Dawson should be looking at been a number 2 anywhere,  if there not going to play here they both need to leave 

Unfortunately for Dawson, I think the fan base will make it impossible for him , there minds are made up irrelevant of what he did last season at Exeter ,  can see us striking some sort of deal to let him stay down there 

With Dawson and Wildsmith between the sticks for the whole season we will need to score at least  80 goals+ to have any chance of make the top 6.

Dawson career league appearances 113 games (lg2, chp), 136 goals conceded, 36 clean sheets - 1.20 goals conceded every game.

Wildsmith career league appearances 69 games (lg1, chp) 103 goals conceded, 19 clean sheets - 1.49 goals conceded every game.

Put it in easy terms we will need to score at least 2 goals in every game to have a chance of winning the game. A feat we managed on 23 occasions last season out of 46 games. Of the 23 games we scored less than 2 goals we took 24 points with BPF getting 8 clean sheets in those games.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

They can spot a player?  Is that the reason for all their success?  

Players, off the top of my head in the last few years; matt grimes, ethan ampadu, ollie Watkins even Jordan storey all came through their academy and first team.  That's some roster. And that's just the well known ones

They've also recently sold a youth player to villa for a few bob who is highly regarded and, and have players who could definitely player higher (matt jay, archie Collins) and some very very good prospects that teams further in the pyramid are sniffing round (Harry Lee and Alfie pond)

They've played a long and sustainable approach to football after they've nearly been bankrupted once. They're a small team with a small fanbase so I'd argue league 1 (which is where they are) is overdelivering for their size actually.

Guess it's what the definition of success is.

• Like 2

Just now, Chris Apolon said:

Players, off the top of my head in the last few years; matt grimes, ethan ampadu, ollie Watkins even Jordan storey all came through their academy and first team.  That's some roster. And that's just the well known ones

They've also recently sold a youth player to villa for a few bob who is highly regarded and, and have players who could definitely player higher (matt jay, archie Collins) and some very very good prospects that teams further in the pyramid are sniffing round (Harry Lee and Alfie pond)

They've played a long and sustainable approach to football after they've nearly been bankrupted once. They're a small team with a small fanbase so I'd argue league 1 (which is where they are) is overdelivering for their size actually.

Guess it's what the definition of success is.

Conversation is over soon as I got to roster you are dead to me.