SWFC Goalkeeper Situation

14 hours ago, Don Penn (pen) said:

Both have been given chances by 6 Managers and been exposed as not being good enough. Dawson going nowhere permanent yet as hes on a contract he’ll never see again. As for Offering Wildsmith a contract, that amazes me

Me too,its a worry.......how does that show 'ambition'?

I'd keep Dawson as back up after he did well for Exeter City on loan but I would hope we bring in someone else to replace BPF. The Shrewsbury keeper we've been linked with sounds a good shout or I'd look at trying to loan in another keeper from the top flight, someone like that Bazunu who was impressive on loan at Pompey from Man City, if unrealistic, then someone similar that needs competitive games. 

1 hour ago, The Night-Owl said:

I'd keep Dawson as back up after he did well for Exeter City on loan but I would hope we bring in someone else to replace BPF. The Shrewsbury keeper we've been linked with sounds a good shout or I'd look at trying to loan in another keeper from the top flight, someone like that Bazunu who was impressive on loan at Pompey from Man City, if unrealistic, then someone similar that needs competitive games. 

Again I'll put forward Aaron Chapman released from Gillingham he's 6" 4 or 5 and I saw the highlights of the final game against Rotherham and he was brilliant it could have been 4 or 5 if not for him.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Is the general consensus that neither Dawson or Wildsmith would be good enough for League 1? I would have thought both would be good with Wildsmith the number 1

Complacency? too well paid? too long with one Employer & not feeling challenged any more....?where is the hunger for the no1 jersey? Do you see it from either?  I have NO idea at all if any of these things apply to either of our GK but i think its undeniable niether have been able to convince a variety of managers that the shirt was theres...

We will see if DM goes with either at season start......

I dont think its an issue of what level or Division you play in....more one of motivation,ambition,  eg being second,or third choice GK at SWFC may well be a sound career move......(money wise)Home City,regular employment on long contracts(both i believe had 5 Year deals).......

No secret wages here have been excellent..... I dont blame them for that  if so? .Why not?...Didnt Winnall say that his S6 move was 'life changing money'?

But could that be the reason why some of our players have stagnated?...over time?.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, shandypants said:

It would be remiss of us to not give Dawson a try given the season he’s just had - even if that “try” is in preseason. 

Sometime players come back better from a loan spell. 

When wer last time that happened then?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Question is, if Dawson wasn’t one of our own would you want the keeper from the League 2 runners up to replace BPF as our number 1 ?

Personally I don’t se how Dawson deserves to be our number 1 based on what he’s done elsewhere 

Yes I would actually. 

Before coming to us BPF had played a total of 8 competitive games since the 2018-2019 season at club level. We always talk about signing players with 'potential' who are reaching their peak. Would you not class one of the stand out performers in a team promoted from League 2 as just that? I would.

We are in League One and Dawson should be provided every opportunity to stake his claim as our first choice keeper. I couldn't care less whether he's a Wednesday fan. He's missed one game all season and had a wonderful season in a team who got automatic promotion. You can't grumble with that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, The coach said:

When wer last time that happened then?

It happens every season at every club. Don’t be so negative. We should give Dawson a try and if he’s not good enough, we move him on. If he is good enough then that’s a bonus.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

It happens every season at every club. Don’t be so negative. We should give Dawson a try and if he’s not good enough, we move him on. If he is good enough then that’s a bonus.  

Its NOT a 'bonus' at ALL is it?its a chance we dont need to take....if we start Dawson and he starts costing us,how long do you give him? (to improve?) because some on here say percevere.....until he settles down.....

But what if like this season thats too late?...85 points wasnt enough this season for auto's which means we need prob 95 to be sure of autos on last seasons numbers..

We have to eliminate ALL of the variables we control.....ie not re signing injury prone players,letting those go who havnt produced,....

Signing players to stop the needless dead ball goals we are giving away.....Bring in players to sort out weak area's...

And above ALL ELSE  do NOT go backwards in ANY area....

GK is a key position we  simply MUST get this right...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mighty Quinn said:

Again I'll put forward Aaron Chapman released from Gillingham he's 6" 4 or 5 and I saw the highlights of the final game against Rotherham and he was brilliant it could have been 4 or 5 if not for him.

Been released because he wants to leave and they know they can't keep him?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, parajack said:

Its NOT a 'bonus' at ALL is it?its a chance we dont need to take....if we start Dawson and he starts costing us,how long do you give him? (to improve?) because some on here say percevere.....until he settles down.....

But what if like this season thats too late?...85 points wasnt enough this season for auto's which means we need prob 95 to be sure of autos on last seasons numbers..

We have to eliminate ALL of the variables we control.....ie not re signing injury prone players,letting those go who havnt produced,....

Signing players to stop the needless dead ball goals we are giving away.....Bring in players to sort out weak area's...

And above ALL ELSE  do NOT go backwards in ANY area....

GK is a key position we  simply MUST get this right...

I said we should give him a chance, even if that chance is preseason. If he looks well off the pace in preseason, move him on. If he looks the part then give him a try. Even though it’s in the league below, he’s had a brilliant season just gone. It would be remiss of us not to try him. We might not be going backwards now if we play Dawson, he might come back a real player. 

Moore is no mug when it comes to identifying players for his squad; I’m sure he’ll do the right thing whatever that is. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mighty Quinn said:

He sounds interesting.

5 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

Yes I would actually. 

Before coming to us BPF had played a total of 8 competitive games since the 2018-2019 season at club level. We always talk about signing players with 'potential' who are reaching their peak. Would you not class one of the stand out performers in a team promoted from League 2 as just that? I would.

We are in League One and Dawson should be provided every opportunity to stake his claim as our first choice keeper. I couldn't care less whether he's a Wednesday fan. He's missed one game all season and had a wonderful season in a team who got automatic promotion. You can't grumble with that.

Wouldn’t you prefer to sign Luke McGee or Liam Roberts ?

10 hours ago, shandypants said:

I said we should give him a chance, even if that chance is preseason. If he looks well off the pace in preseason, move him on. If he looks the part then give him a try. Even though it’s in the league below, he’s had a brilliant season just gone. It would be remiss of us not to try him. We might not be going backwards now if we play Dawson, he might come back a real player. 

Moore is no mug when it comes to identifying players for his squad; I’m sure he’ll do the right thing whatever that is. 

How does he recruit a new keeper on loan or otherwise without making him no 1? Would be irresponsible in my view doing what you propose as it would leave us with a choice of either Dawson or JW if Dawson doesn’t cut it….when in the past BOTH have been found wanting. What do you say to a new arrival we want you but can’t promise you regular football? Would we have got BPF on that basis?