Goalkeeper

Don’t know if people remember this but the keeper we was being linked with last summer prior to signing BPF was actually West Brom’s Josh Griffiths. However he went on loan to Lincoln, which looked like a decent move as they’d just lost out in the play off final to Blackpool.

This season at Lincoln hasn’t gone to plan as much and I do wonder if WBA would be looking to loan him back out into L1 as they’ve been linked with Karl Darlow to replace Sam Johnstone for the number 1 spot. 

Could be a potential target, seeing as how keen Wednesday were last summer. 

• Like 1

On 16/05/2022 at 13:14, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I've watched all Exeter's highlights this year

I have a mate who goes to their home games

He's had a very good season against League 2 opposition

He won the Junior Grecians player of the year

Exeter would like to keep him

Both myself and my Exeter mate think he is probably a league 1 keeper

He's a very good shot stopper, but he stays on his line alot, he doesn't command his area, and he still has spells where he looks shakey

I believe there are better keepers available at the moment, and we will need better to get out of this division

Just like every goalie in the country - PL downwards....

On 16/05/2022 at 22:14, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I've watched all Exeter's highlights this year

I have a mate who goes to their home games

He's had a very good season against League 2 opposition

He won the Junior Grecians player of the year

Exeter would like to keep him

Both myself and my Exeter mate think he is probably a league 1 keeper

He's a very good shot stopper, but he stays on his line alot, he doesn't command his area, and he still has spells where he looks shakey

I believe there are better keepers available at the moment, and we will need better to get out of this division

Junior Grecian’s player of year

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CourteenerOwl said:

So you think at Exeter City in League 2 and in the space of 12 months Dawson will all of a sudden be able to distribute balls to full backs, take the ball under pressure? A lot of that is natural ability that he hasn't got.

Dawson had a good season at League 2 level as keepers at that level are not expected to be sweepers. Most of the bottom half of this league he will be fine too.

It was no surprise he did very well in league 2. As soon as he is expected to use his feet more is where I think his limitations will become obvious. I saw him play a few times last season and he was slicing balls as usual, it is his issue imo.

Every aspect of his game will be better for having played 46 first team games away from the pressure cooker that is Sheffield Wednesday.

I'm not saying he's suddenly Ederson or Alison but he'll be better, I don't buy into this idea he was as bad at those things as you claim he was before he was loaned out.

Also it's not like we asked BPF to be a sweeper did we? At times yeah we played out from the back but it's not like it was a key element of our game, we did it as and when (sometimes too much in the first third of the season I accept). I can't see that changing under Moore unless we sign a keeper who has that specific ability which you don't tend to get in League One.

• Like 1

I really do think Dawson could do a job for us in league one, he would be a solid league one player although I really am not sure if he could make the step up to championship so I would say if we can find better then absolutely go for that but if push comes to shove there is no point in breaking the bank if we can't really get better...

He did amazingly with Exeter at league two level, he struggled at championship level so I think league one is his level..

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, parajack said:

What’s so funny? Our crowds are bigger than many Championship and even PL Clubs your liking your own posts too much mate

We play in a half empty stadium week in week out. The programme seller was the most Intimidating voice at hillsborough

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

We play in a half empty stadium week in week out. The programme seller was the most Intimidating voice at hillsborough

it’s down to the ST policy that said ‘half empty’ stadium is not fuller….And also as much  down to capacity/size rather than a lack of numbers.Average attendances for third Division games of 20,000 plus are awesome.Wold be even higher with a reasonable POTG…..As to Cameron It’s made him error prone b4 and  I see nothing to make me think that’s changed

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 0114 said:

Don’t know if people remember this but the keeper we was being linked with last summer prior to signing BPF was actually West Brom’s Josh Griffiths. However he went on loan to Lincoln, which looked like a decent move as they’d just lost out in the play off final to Blackpool.

This season at Lincoln hasn’t gone to plan as much and I do wonder if WBA would be looking to loan him back out into L1 as they’ve been linked with Karl Darlow to replace Sam Johnstone for the number 1 spot. 

Could be a potential target, seeing as how keen Wednesday were last summer. 

And herein lies the problem with this thread, people proposing any old poo rather than a keeper, our own, who has actually had a good season.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rotherham Owl said:

And herein lies the problem with this thread, people proposing any old poo rather than a keeper, our own, who has actually had a good season.

So are you suggesting no other goalkeeper other than Cameron Dawson can be suggested? :laugh: I also don’t think I even suggested Griffiths, just pointed out one of our main targets from last summer could be available. 

Anyhow, I sincerely apologise for creating a “problem” with the thread :laugh:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rotherham Owl said:

No the problem is…..people being nostalgic about players who we have not had any success with and wanting them back at S6  We lost 14 Million quid last Year by not achieving promotion

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, parajack said:

No the problem is…..people being nostalgic about players who we have not had any success with and wanting them back at S6  We lost 14 Million quid last Year by not achieving promotion

Maybe if the G/K had not cost us 6 pts we would have gone up?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

Maybe if the G/K had not cost us 6 pts we would have gone up?.

Not DM tactics? 14 draws against mediocre sides in the third tier of English football? And what about the numerous clean sheets BPF kept during our Season? Rose tinted blue & white glasses mate Really need a reality check You want’Hutch’ recontracted as well? ‘Fessi ’ back? ‘We sty’ as well yuk

• Like 1

To be fair to Dawson, he's just had a fantastic season albeit in the next division down and I'm sure I saw a player of the year for Exeter. Hell be full of confidence and hopefully matured more and grown as a player. So for me I'd maybe look for a loan in and bring Dawson back into the fold and see how he does going into the season,give the lad anotger chance to show he's improved before writing the lad off just yet 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/05/2022 at 05:02, Fablon Dunlop said:

Limited funds for transfers. 

Other areas to strengthen. 

One of our own, coming back from an excellent season on loan and ready to slot straight back into that GK role. 

🤷

Apart from the fact he’s effin crap, yeah why not? 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 83owl said:

Proving your own point than arnt you? What would you put the error prone displays and lack of confidence of our GK down to than,if not the nerves of playing in front of 20,000 + home supporters? Just being sh&&e?