Goalkeeper

1 hour ago, Rotherham Owl said:

I think I will be happy with whatever DM decides. If he thinks he is good enough then I will be happy for him to be our No. 1, if not then happy with him getting someone else in.

Agreed. It seems that Dawson has had a great season and likely to come back a significantly improved keeper. Let Moore and his team assess him on the keeper he is now not the one he was two seasons ago with all the shenanigans of that time. 

• Like 2

We have to remember what a toxic environment and team dawson was brought into ... Exeter have shown that with their love and support he has been great for them this season and instrumental in them being promoted

He's a wednesday lad at the end of the day and hopefully last season has been a great move for both and he comes back stronger and hungrier for that No.1 jersey

• Like 2

Out of the list of keepers out of contract this summer, Jon Ruddy could be decent. Granted he's mid 30's but someone of his experience and physical attributes would fill me with more confidence in this league than an up and coming keeper with hardly any league experience. There's a lot of long balls and crosses and aerial battles so Ruddy would be very good for a season. 

• Like 2

There’s a couple of out of contract keepers in Scotland who would be worth looking at. Ben Siegrist from Dundee United but I believe the Glasgow pair are looking at him as a potential backup so maybe out of our reach. 

And Zander Clark at St Johnstone who has been called up to the Scotland squad recently

and is a very good keeper. Both will be moving on and would be an upgrade on Dawson/Wildsmith.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fudge27 said:

I haven't but saw him a bit at QPR and thought he was decent. 27 so best years ahead of him and won't be in a big wage. 

He was decent at QPR but he's massively dropped off at Boro.

Some of the mistakes he's made are worse than anything Dawson has done for us.

49 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Seems a huge wave of support on twitter for Dawson to become number 1.

Are we all ignoring that Dawson cannot kick a ball?

So a player can't go out on loan and improve?

Think we need to judge Cameron Dawson as of now as appose to being thrown under the bus by Jos and a loss of confidence under Monk.

• Like 1

Just now, TomtheOwl95 said:

So a player can't go out on loan and improve?

Think we need to judge Cameron Dawson as of now as appose to being thrown under the bus by Jos and a loss of confidence under Monk.

Can defo improve but can a slow player go out on loan and become rapid?

10 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

So you're saying increasing someone's pace is the same as improving technique when striking a football?

Similar. Dawson is what 26/27? He is not 16. If he had no technique and little composure with a football its unlikely he ever will have.

1 hour ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Seems a huge wave of support on twitter for Dawson to become number 1.

Are we all ignoring that Dawson cannot kick a ball?

or take control of the box or come and claim the ball. Good shot stopper though but we need more than that imo. 

• Like 1

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

or take control of the box or come and claim the ball. Good shot stopper though but we need more than that imo. 

Agree. Dawson is an excellent shot stopper. This is the area when his confidence dropped he let silly goals in he would normally save.

I just don't see why some people think a stint in League 2 means Dawsons issues with the ball at his feet will become void.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Similar. Dawson is what 26/27? He is not 16. If he had no technique and little composure with a football its unlikely he ever will have.

But 26 isn't exactly old for a keeper, he's also never had a full season of game time where he knows he's going to be playing.

He's gone away, developed, enjoyed himself and got promoted.

Like I said before, we need to judge him and his performances from now (if he stays) and not the car crash of a club that was the case before. I don't think it's fair to say he had no technique or little composure, the only real time he showed a lack of composure was the start of last season where his confidence had clearly been shot. Understandable really when the club was a mess, defence changing in front of him every week and everything he did being over analysed.

It's a big summer for him, but if he is our number 1 next season we need to back him.

Just now, TomtheOwl95 said:

But 26 isn't exactly old for a keeper, he's also never had a full season of game time where he knows he's going to be playing.

He's gone away, developed, enjoyed himself and got promoted.

Like I said before, we need to judge him and his performances from now (if he stays) and not the car crash of a club that was the case before. I don't think it's fair to say he had no technique or little composure, the only real time he showed a lack of composure was the start of last season where his confidence had clearly been shot. Understandable really when the club was a mess, defence changing in front of him every week and everything he did being over analysed.

It's a big summer for him, but if he is our number 1 next season we need to back him.

So you think at Exeter City in League 2 and in the space of 12 months Dawson will all of a sudden be able to distribute balls to full backs, take the ball under pressure? A lot of that is natural ability that he hasn't got.

Dawson had a good season at League 2 level as keepers at that level are not expected to be sweepers. Most of the bottom half of this league he will be fine too.

It was no surprise he did very well in league 2. As soon as he is expected to use his feet more is where I think his limitations will become obvious. I saw him play a few times last season and he was slicing balls as usual, it is his issue imo.

On 16/05/2022 at 12:41, HopefulOwl said:

With BPF going back to Burnley what are peoples thoughts on the kind of keeper we need next.

Personally i think we need 2 new keepers....  but do we go and buy or rely on loan market or freebies.

I'd like someone experienced like Westwood was when he signed...

2 names who are out of contract and worth a punt..   Forster at Southampton and Ruddy at Wolves...  both 30 plus and will want games.. maybe League one is to big a drop though.

Just the same as two days ago. Why another thread ?

I have been attending Hillsborough and a good few other grounds since 1957. I haven't seen many keepers that don't have an extensive catalogue of super saves that they have kept in their lockers over the years. So too the clean sheets but these are just as much a product of the defence that offers protection to the keepers.

So what do we look for in a Keeper ? Sound subjective positional sense. An increasing degree of footwork given the back passes and playing out philosophy. A big shout out capable of organising his back line in conjunction with the defensive organiser. Finally, a keeper strong enough to physically cope with all the buffeting and roughing that we see from in coming set pieces. These attributes, rather than super saves, are what will reduce our goals conceded column.       

• Like 1