The Sunderland goal - A step by step photographic breakdown

9 hours ago, SiJ said:

With most goals, you will find one or two defensive errors or ******** ups. 

For me, the unforgivable one is NML's tracking back or lack thereof which put a very tired Storey in a  difficult position. 

This 100%.

NML refusal to track Clarke left us all at sea.

if he tracks his runner - Storey settles into the back line and we reorganise from there.

As it happens, Storey is pulled wide and there’s a great big gaping hole in the 6 yard box.

Considering the position of the tie at that point, it is terrible game management. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kilbyj said:

I think if you rolled it back 30 seconds there's others at fault too.

They pumped a long ball forward which nobody was getting on the end of and the ball trajectory was going to straight to BPF. either he hasn't shouted or baz hasn't listened as he diving heads the ball out for a throw.

Lo and behold from the throw in the ball immediately ends up in their half and the move to score begins.

Game management at its worst. We always seem to rush things and panic.

Hope Moore builds in just a little bit of the Wycombe and the Alex Neil's for next season but not too much mind.

Agreed...there are several who didn't do enough. 

Also look at Luongo's initial position...very questionable at that stage of the game!! 7 minutes to get through until you can regroup properly.

36 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

NML basically didnt track his man on the wing. The rest is history. 

I think it's more than this. 

NML was pushing up to support an attack, as he should have been. Storey moved out wide to block the cross. That's exactly what should happen with this system. 

Storey should have then stopped the cross. Dean should have blocked it near post. Palmer should have stopped Roberts at the back post. Those 3 are more culpable than NML imo. 

We should have scored more than 1 goal over 180 minutes though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liam_Baggies said:

This 100%.

NML refusal to track Clarke left us all at sea.

if he tracks his runner - Storey settles into the back line and we reorganise from there.

As it happens, Storey is pulled wide and there’s a great big gaping hole in the 6 yard box.

Considering the position of the tie at that point, it is terrible game management. 

Has been an issue all season. 

It's slightly ironic that a team managed by Darren Moore has a soft underbelly and questionable game management. 

Can you imagine what Darren Moore the player would have done to NML after that? 

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

You forgot the bit where the defender had about 3 hours to pick out the pass with no pressure whatsoever.

I'm sorry that Lee Gregory ran over your dog or something. 

I really am. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BIG D said:

Pace out wide is what we are really missing.

We don't really have an out wide with it being wingbacks. They can't always be pushed forwards especially against teams like Sunderland. Ironically we signed loads of wingers and aimed to play 433 which is what Sunderland were doing on the offense. 

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

We don't really have an out wide with it being wingbacks. They can't always be pushed forwards especially against teams like Sunderland. Ironically we signed loads of wingers and aimed to play 433 which is what Sunderland were doing on the offense. 

One way to inject pace would be to perhaps switch to a 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1? 

Get some sort of pace around Gregory? 

He’s come in from so far out it’d almost be weird if anyone in our back line WAS tracking him tbf. Much more interested in who NML and Mass think they’re covering in that first pic, and the rest of the midfield being totally out of shot is slightly incriminating IMO - I know we were pushing for a goal but it wasn’t THAT rapid a counter

Edited by Mr. Tom

Palmer is put in an absolutely awful position there. One speedy wide player tearing into the box with not much pressure on the ball, another winger charging into the box at speed. A goal is scored, it happens. I definitely don’t blame him. 

If anything it all comes from NML not tracking back but Moore accepted that risk when he brought him on. 

Players were tiring at the end because they worked so hard to get back into the game. 

Over the course of the tie I think we matched Sunderland and could have gone either way. Bad luck really. 

Need to put the pitchforks away and not overanalyse it. Expect us to be challenging near the top next season! 

• Like 2

Can usually pick out 2 or 3 errors in most goals.

Imagine Moore instructed NML to get further up the pitch when we were chasing the goal. It doesn't excuse him for not tracking back but it kind of justifies the type of player we need if we want to stick to this system.

The whole team looked lethargic going into the last 10 minutes, it was like we'd used all our energy and showed all the cards in our hand to get back into the game and then we didn't have a clue what to do next. Had the game gone to extra time, I think we would have still lost as Sunderland had options on the bench and just looked fitter in every area. 

• Like 1

Wasn't great defending all round, and I'm certainly not a Palmer basher, but it's poor defending by him to let the wide man come across him and get to the ball first like that. I'm pretty sure that's his main job in that situation.

• Like 1

Defence has been a sh@tshow all season. Look rock solid for a game or two and then injuries happen or Moore tinkers with it and it looks like they havent seen each other before for a few games till they settle down. Rinse and repeat.

Need to invest in or sign up some reliable and depdable centre halves. Dont need to be world beaters, just 7 out of 10 players that dont fill you with worry when a ball comes into the box. I also wouldnt sign Dean and Storey aint in our price range. 

Edited by OwlinOldham

14 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

There's a reason some of these players are at a 3rd division club. Anticipation and decision making is the difference in a average and good player.

What you on about,apparently we have the best squad,team,players in the division by a mile according to some....lol...

Obviously we haven't proof is in the pudding..

UTO...

Palmer is ball watching. Nothing wrong with his position as he has to be mindful of a chip to the far post. But their winger starts going full pelt for the near post from miles out. One early glance behind was all Palmer needed to do to know that the danger was near post.

At the end of the day its just a League 1 players error and Palmer has had a decent season. It just was mainly his error and it happened at a terrible time.