Sunderland fan in peace

Just now, eddie1973 said:

"Mr Partridge....Mr Partridge.....he says hes a Sheffield Wednesday fan but he cant get nae ticket for friday....then he picks up these train tickets to Sunderland and says "these would be nae use to me man""

That was just a noise

• Haha 7

14 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I reckon if Sunderland had just given us the "normal" away allocation of the same that we had for the league game, around 2.8k, we'd have reciprocated with our normal away ticket allocation and given them about 3.5k in the upper West. So their decision is making a lot of their fans miss the Hillsborough game.

It certainly is mate.  And as an away regular myself I personally know some who have missed out.  And I believe its us to blame with the original allocation. 

My only feedback is.  It is looking like Friday will be a sell out.  So we'll be wanting to maximise home fans.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mackem1 said:

Can't call it mate.  2 great teams.  With passionate fan bases who can be the 12th man.  

It would have been an unreal showcase of a final.  

Certainly out of the 2 Sheffield clubs.  I prefer Wednesday. I have been on numerous occasions and never had any trouble. 

If I had to pick an ultimate winner over 2 games? Yous. 

I think you may just have the edge?? 

I think we just slightly have the edge, but it is so slight that its irrelevant.  Its going to come down to who handles the nerves better I think.

I also honestly believe that who ever loses this semi will go on and get automatic promotion next year anyway, not that its much of a consolation.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mackem1 said:

It certainly is mate.  And as an away regular myself I personally know some who have missed out.  And I believe its us to blame with the original allocation. 

My only feedback is.  It is looking like Friday will be a sell out.  So we'll be wanting to maximise home fans.  

Yeah from a purely selfish decision for their home fans Sunderland are justified if it sells out, nobody on here would be compaining if we'd put your fans on the lower Lep (which doesn't actually quite hold 2k I think but you get my drift) and sold the rest of the away end to home fans.

I'm going to be a bit borderline for getting tickets for Friday myself. I go to most away games but don't quite have enough priority points to buy today which is a guaranteed ticket so I'll have to hope that I manage to get one in the morning. I've been OK for games with a slightly smaller allocation like Wycombe, Cheltenham, Morecambe but I guess there'll be far more demand for Sunderland tickets. All of us poor souls who went there and suffered in December should be entitled to one!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Yeah from a purely selfish decision for their home fans Sunderland are justified if it sells out, nobody on here would be compaining if we'd put your fans on the lower Lep (which doesn't actually quite hold 2k I think but you get my drift) and sold the rest of the away end to home fans.

I'm going to be a bit borderline for getting tickets for Friday myself. I go to most away games but don't quite have enough priority points to buy today which is a guaranteed ticket so I'll have to hope that I manage to get one in the morning. I've been OK for games with a slightly smaller allocation like Wycombe, Cheltenham, Morecambe but I guess there'll be far more demand for Sunderland tickets. All of us poor souls who went there and suffered in December should be entitled to one!

I'm on the same hym sheet mate.  

I'm frustrated we have given you a poor allocation.  As it then effects our fans at your place.  I'm on the wrong shift so can't go to yours.  But as it stands I wouldn't have got 1 as it sold out in the first phase. 

We also have priority points and I'm decently well up.  But still didn't have enough.  I hope you manage to get a ticket bud 

• Like 3

It seems remis of me to talk about inconsistency in a season that has seen all points records broken but that has been the plight of us both. 

We have both come some real croppers failing in games that have simply been thrown away. Of course consistency if achieved leaves you well clear of tier three, so should either team prosper next season some of the gaps will have to be filled. The financial pity is we couldn't have met at Wembley in the final with a bumper pay day that would have paid for a few gaps to be filled. However, both of us should do OK for top 10 finishes.   

• Like 1

Youre a great side on your day, just depends which version of you shows up. But like us then. 

If both sides bring thier best game it will be one helluva match. I still think we will edge past you and be playing MK at Wembley but I'd not be suprised if you got through too. There's some good sides in l1 this year

• Like 1

Two sets of fans who deserve much better than the hands their respective clubs have dealt them over the last few years (mostly down to owners) as others have said this ought to have been the final, would have made a cracking day. Really tough one to call, Fridays game will be the big one, if the Owls travel back with anything more positive than a one goal margin defeat I'd fancy us to do the business, injuries may have a big say in the matter. It's going to be tense.

• Like 1

Heyup @Mackem1 I'm going to sound like a stuck record but, it's too close to call and if you beat us, I hope you win at Wembley. I already thought that before I read the other posts on here.

My understanding of the allocation (set by the EFL) is that it's 2000 or 10%, whichever is higher. I'm not sure either club is at fault, but I could be wrong.

I only recently learned of the origins of the word Mackem, and never knew those north of the Tyne where once called Tackem. I'm sure you know this, but for those who don't it comes from the ship building industry of region, where the ships where built in around Sunderland (Make 'em) and sailed from the north side of the Tyne (Take 'em). Summat like that anyway.

Got any suggestions for pubs for Friday?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChapSmurf said:

Heyup @Mackem1 I'm going to sound like a stuck record but, it's too close to call and if you beat us, I hope you win at Wembley. I already thought that before I read the other posts on here.

My understanding of the allocation (set by the EFL) is that it's 2000 or 10%, whichever is higher. I'm not sure either club is at fault, but I could be wrong.

I only recently learned of the origins of the word Mackem, and never knew those north of the Tyne where once called Tackem. I'm sure you know this, but for those who don't it comes from the ship building industry of region, where the ships where built in around Sunderland (Make 'em) and sailed from the north side of the Tyne (Take 'em). Summat like that anyway.

Got any suggestions for pubs for Friday?

Good post mate.  

I'm really looking forward to our 2 games.  The local journalists up here are saying there'll be over 75,000 at both games which will be a new record. 

That's unreal mind. 

Pubs wise. Every pub is welcoming bud.  Just stick to the usual don't act up and you'll be completely fine anywhere.  

Depending on your mode of transport. 

If by bus.  

There's the Collery Tavern near the away end which away fans get in. 

The Wheatscheaf a bit further down that road which has a pre-match commedian on who actively encourage away fans in for the banter.  

Into the town centre.  There's literally loads of pubs and any or fine.  

These should be 2 epic games. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Quite like Sunderland and a lot of time for their fans. Obviously hope we batter them over two legs and go up but I'd have preferred this to be the final. Both sets of fans incredibly loyal and deserve much better than we'd had over the last few years

I honestly think Sunderland are very similar to us in terms of clubs. 

We're both the 'type' of club to scrape our way out of a blood and thunder two legged semi, having one of the best nights in our clubs history in the process, to then lose to Wycombe infront of their 15,000 fans at Wembley. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mackem1 said:

Good post mate.  

I'm really looking forward to our 2 games.  The local journalists up here are saying there'll be over 75,000 at both games which will be a new record. 

That's unreal mind. 

Pubs wise. Every pub is welcoming bud.  Just stick to the usual don't act up and you'll be completely fine anywhere.  

Depending on your mode of transport. 

If by bus.  

There's the Collery Tavern near the away end which away fans get in. 

The Wheatscheaf a bit further down that road which has a pre-match commedian on who actively encourage away fans in for the banter.  

Into the town centre.  There's literally loads of pubs and any or fine.  

These should be 2 epic games. 

75,000! It's crazy mate. I do often wonder what foreign football fans must think when they see our third tier stadia, and the size of our crowds? Like many have said, it's just a shame we couldn't meet at Wembley, as that would have been an incredible advertisement for League 1 football. It's just a shame that clubs like ours having fallen so far, but what a rush when we climb back up hey.

I've not been to the Stadium of Light before (I was away in December and bloody glad I was!) so I'm really looking forward to coming up. Of course I'll be gutted if we don't get a decent result at your place, but I can't control that. But yeah, you're right - I'm expecting two epic games.

Cheers for the info on the pubs. We're travelling up by car and we're always up for a good bit of banter, so maybe I'll suggest the Wheatscheaf to the lads. We like football, having a beer, talking football, having more beers and then mostly talking rounduns. I think we'll be okay lol

2 hours ago, Mackem1 said:

Morning All. 

As the title says.  I come in peace.  

Just wondering your views on our upcoming games.   2 huge clubs who should not be in this league.   

Disappointed with the respective away allocations.  And would hope that's more down too the sag and local police.  I believe the winners of our game will win at Wembley. 

Always had a soft spot for Sunderland especially with the link to the late, great Ian Porterfield for the sterling service to both clubs (and that winning goal in the 1973 Cup Final against Leeds).

Shame about the ticket allocation but both venues will be well sold out. Pity that this was not the final... 90,000+ at plus for a Wembley Final in the third tier would have been some experience.

• Like 1

Welcome @Mackem1, thanks for your views.

I was initially cringing fit to snap at the wave of apparent confidence about the semis I saw from various corners of our fanbase - but I think that was riding a wave from absolutely battering Pompey (4-1 didn’t flatter us one bit, should’ve been six really) and that whole day being a massive surge of relief.

What we’ve seen emerge more widely in the past couple of days has been far more reflective of how I feel about this tie: hopeful, sure, but also grimly realistic. As most on this thread have echoed, it really could go either way this one. We’re each capable of turning the other over by a good few goals on our day - but then again, the two sides that faced each other home and away mid-season have evolved massively since then. Neither has really blinked for ages, so it’s incredibly hard to say who might now.

I’ve plenty of time for Sunderland as a club and fanbase, largely because I feel we’ve shared a very similar depth and type of football fan agony the last couple decades - and especially so because of our uncanny (no idiom pun intended!) similarities in terms of size, history, league trajectories (and stinking neighbours) when everything is averaged out over a couple of decades.

Hope it’ll be a great spectacle, kinda gutted it’s not the final, and nervously excited for both games. Think the fans will get on tbh, never been a club we’ve really had any bother from or with.

Obviously hope we smash it but I wouldn’t put a quid on it either way right now. Very very hard to predict IMO, totally depends which version of both teams shows up twice in a row, who starts, who makes an impact off the bench, what happens over two legs, which approach the away sides adopt in each half…

…basically I’m this lass whenever I try to picture any of it!

image.gif.86ec7967c1d78b5d8af2e12b96fb0bea.gif

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

I honestly think Sunderland are very similar to us in terms of clubs. 

We're both the 'type' of club to scrape our way out of a blood and thunder two legged semi, having one of the best nights in our clubs history in the process, to then lose to Wycombe infront of their 15,000 fans at Wembley. 

If we lose I'll be supporting them in the final as both clubs should be nowhere near this level.

If Don't lose on Friday or at worst lose by 1 goal I'd fancy us to go through.

Think windass and Dean will be massive players for us in the play offs.

I've got alot of time for Sunderland,best m8s a Mackem..

Had friends in Spennymore for years when a nipper.

Can't stand Newcastle over rated gollox,like Leeds scum..Think they have the right..

As for game,wish it was final been a great day out,2 massive clubs..

We can beat any body at home not worried about that leg,it's the game at yours owt could happen.

Could be over before Hillsborough,if switch off Owls turn up,I'd take a draw now..all day long..

Whoever wins this I personally think will go up....

1-1 1st leg

3-1 2nd leg

4-0 final v whoever....

UTO....

Yes its s great match up club wise and if we lose I will want Sunderland to beat the other two just for your long suffering fans. And thats despite Sunderland employing Alex Neil and his anti football antics.

Unlike others though I think Wednesday are currently a much better team than Sunderland and over two legs i think we are clear favourites and should be confident of winning.

The reason we aren't confident is- a bit like you guys - we just imagine we will fek it up.  

Won’t there be considerably more than 75k over the two legs of hillsborough is roughly 34k and SoL is just shy of 50k? 

I’m also of the different opinion to most I’m glad this is the semi. I’d rather have over double the fans of MK or Wycombe at Wembley to give us any advantage we can get. Obviously we need to get to Wembley first which won’t be easy.