Sunderland fan in peace

Will echo some of the other comments - it's absolutely ridiculous that this is a League One fixture but there we are.

Two even teams, two big stadiums, two amazing atmospheres and both teams will fancy the home leg to tip the balance. I'm glad we're at SoL first and getting you back to Hillsborough. Just hope we're close enough after the first leg for that to count. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Mackem1 said:

Morning All. 

As the title says.  I come in peace.  

Just wondering your views on our upcoming games.   2 huge clubs who should not be in this league.   

Disappointed with the respective away allocations.  And would hope that's more down too the sag and local police.  I believe the winners of our game will win at Wembley. 

Hi mate. Thanks for the message. 

Any chance you can get us 6,000 tickets? Promise to be quiet and talk like that porter in the Alan Partridge series. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

45 minutes ago, Mackem1 said:

Morning All. 

Just wondering your views on our upcoming games.   2 huge clubs who should not be in this league.   

Disappointed with the respective away allocations.  And would hope that's more down too the sag and local police.  I believe the winners of our game will win at Wembley. 

It's down to Sunderland who restricted the allocation to 2,000 despite what I read on your message board saying it was Wednesday who had dictated the allocation. 

Remember when we played you in the League Cup a few years ago and despite there being less than 14,000 in attendance, Wednesday only received a similar allocation when there were over 30,000 empty seats.

Sunderland would've had the Upper and Lower Tier of Leppings Lane if they'd reciprocated the allocation amount.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, owl-zat said:

It's down to Sunderland who restricted the allocation to 2,000

Absolutely untrue!!!

Allocation is set by EFL.

Edited by oldtawnyowl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

To think this fixture is a third division game is crazy. Had this been the final it would draw 90,000. Just think the second leg of Villarreal v Liverpool in the champions league semi final will have less fans than either of our fixtures and like I said had this been the final you would be hard pressed to find another game around the globe with a bigger attendance.  

Two mismanaged and well supported clubs in this position is unacceptable to most but it is what it is. 

If Sunderland beat us I will be firmly in their camp and hope they go up. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, owl-zat said:

It's down to Sunderland who restricted the allocation to 2,000 despite what I read on your message board saying it was Wednesday who had dictated the allocation. 

Remember when we played you in the League Cup a few years ago and despite there being less than 14,000 in attendance, Wednesday only received a similar allocation when there were over 30,000 empty seats.

Sunderland would've had the Upper and Lower Tier of Leppings Lane if they'd reciprocated the allocation amount.

I also think it's us who's restricted the allocation which is pathetic as you were then always going to restrict ours and rightly so mate. 

Our 2k has just sold out as we speak. 

I've had a season ticket for around 30 years and go away regularly. 

Always had time for Wednesday fans.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Absolutely untrue!!!

My understanding of it is that minimum allocation is set by the EFL.

Clubs can choose to allocate more seats to away fans if they want to/are allowed to by police, SAG, etc. Sunderland chose not to

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I think you could flip a coin to decide this one, there’s nothing between these 2 sides IMO, would’ve been a more fitting final with a packed out Wembley.

A huge factor for us will be if Bannan is fit, gave us a bit of a scare coming off injured at the end against Portsmouth and would be a huge miss if he’s out.

Any update on the Broadhead injury? How big a blow would it be losing him ahead of this one?

• Like 1

I have family in Stockton-on-Tees so I'm up that way quite a bit, but I've always had respect for all the North East clubs. The people up there are fanatical about football and I've always found them to be friendly, gracious in defeat and magnanimous in victory.

I think there's a lot of mutual respect between Sunderland and Wednesday supporters and I hope that continues after the play-off games. Sunderland are basically a bigger version of us to me and I think we both see similarities in each other, especially in regards to away support.

Like the games between us this season, I'm sure there will be 180 minute where we are 'rivals' but after that I can't see them riding out on it for years if they beat us like Huddersfield and Hull fans do. But that's small team mentality for you.

Struggling to even make a prediction for the game. There's a bit of jekyll and hyde about us both. Us having the second leg at home gives us a very narrow advantage, but it just depends on what happens at your place as our away form isn't great.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I think you could flip a coin to decide this one, there’s nothing between these 2 sides IMO, would’ve been a more fitting final with a packed out Wembley.

A huge factor for us will be if Bannan is fit, gave us a bit of a scare coming off injured at the end against Portsmouth and would be a huge miss if he’s out.

Any update on the Broadhead injury? How big a blow would it be losing him ahead of this one?

Rumours are he's out for the season.  Which as you rightly say would be a huge loss. 

But the slight off-set is McGeady is in and around the squad.  

As has been said.   You can literally throw a coin for the result 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wycombe and MK will be creaming themselves over our 'big club' love in. Who cares about the size of our clubs when it comes to winning the play offs its ugly and the 'smaller' clubs play on the arrogance of their opponents. I reckon we might well be going to the stadium of light and Hillsborough next season. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Absolutely untrue!!!

It's absolutely true, the EFL stipulate a minimum allocation of 10% of the stadium up to 2,000 tickets but more can be given dependant on the two clubs.

Sunderland opted to just give the minimum 2,000 tickets so Wednesday said you get the same.  

• Thanks 1

I think 99% of Wednesday fans will say the same about Sunderland, we respect them as a club and hope they go on to win it if they get through against us. For sure, we'd be even happier if we both went up and Wigan or Rotherham had have missed out, but football isn't like that.

The league table, the support, the squads, the history, there's not much between us and we're evenly matched for this. I'm sure it will come down to small margins. 

Good Morning Mackem

I was hoping this would be the Final a packed Wembley and two sets of the most loyal fans in the country howling at each other.

Not to be sadly

Like most I think its too close to call

The clubs seem to think restricting the away allocation will benefit the home side

Didn't for us against teams like Shrewsbury who came up and won ..Didn't at away games when there were more Owls in than home supporters.

No doubt you lads can tell a similar story.

Its down to the players for the most part and recent form tells you theres hardly anything between us.

If you beat us...I'll have the mump on for a while, but hope you go on to win the final , your fans deserve it...(Sadly as we well know, that counts for jacksheeite)

I reckon if Sunderland had just given us the "normal" away allocation of the same that we had for the league game, around 2.8k, we'd have reciprocated with our normal away ticket allocation and given them about 3.5k in the upper West. So their decision is making a lot of their fans miss the Hillsborough game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mackem1 said:

Can't call it mate.  2 great teams.  With passionate fan bases who can be the 12th man.  

It would have been an unreal showcase of a final.  

Certainly out of the 2 Sheffield clubs.  I prefer Wednesday. I have been on numerous occasions and never had any trouble. 

If I had to pick an ultimate winner over 2 games? Yous. 

I think you may just have the edge?? 

Mind games have started...

52 minutes ago, vulva said:

Any chance you can get us 6,000 tickets? Promise to be quiet and talk like that porter in the Alan Partridge series. 

"Mr Partridge....Mr Partridge.....he says hes a Sheffield Wednesday fan but he cant get nae ticket for friday....then he picks up these train tickets to Sunderland and says "these would be nae use to me man""

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Good Morning Mackem

I was hoping this would be the Final a packed Wembley and two sets of the most loyal fans in the country howling at each other.

Not to be sadly

Like most I think its too close to call

The clubs seem to think restricting the away allocation will benefit the home side

Didn't for us against teams like Shrewsbury who came up and won ..Didn't at away games when there were more Owls in than home supporters.

No doubt you lads can tell a similar story.

Its down to the players for the most part and recent form tells you theres hardly anything between us.

If you beat us...I'll have the mump on for a while, but hope you go on to win the final , your fans deserve it...(Sadly as we well know, that counts for jacksheeite)

Great Post.  

I think / I know talking to the lads I go with.  We certainly do respect Wednesday fans.  Very similar fan bases in my opinion. 

And I will certainly echo your comments. 

If you do beat us over the 2 games.  I'd have a bit mump on for a few days.  But you would certainly have my best wishes for the final.  

I'd rather see yous go up than the Franchise or Wycombe. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, Mackem1 said:

Morning All. 

I forbid you to answer any questions on allocation of away tickets!!!

Spoiler

They are a bit fik on err!