Sunderland fan in peace

As someone mentioned, it is who will handle the pressure of the occasion. If we turn out our spine of Dean, Luongo, Bannan and Gregory, I think that gives us an edge. Big players generally make the difference in big games. The same is true for McGeady.

At the end of the day, I hope one team ‘wins’ it through a piece of quality and the tie isn’t lost by a mistake or bloody penalties.

All the best.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheGreatNebber said:

If Wednesday lose then I'll definitely be supporting Sunderland for the final. Wycombe are basically set up to cheat their way to victory and although MK Dons play some nice stuff I'm of an age where I can never forget how they came to into existence. It's also 'about time' Sunderland got out of this league after 5 years and that's just one reason why I'm not very confident about our chances; sometimes it just seems like a team is on some kind of pre-determined path to promotion (see also the large numbers of last minute winners over recent weeks). 

There has been a bit of an embarrassing trend on twitter of fans of Wigan, Wycombe. MK Done and Rotherham having a love-in and wearing their lack of support as a kind of badge of honour. Yes, supporter numbers don't win you promotion but attracting big gates in the third tier of football is something to shout about and fans of bigger teams going though hard times do deserve some level of reward. Same reason I'd like to see Forest get promoted to the Premier League, not a fan in any way but they are 1000% times preferable to Bournemouth getting back up. 

Completely agree. Said to my Sunderland supporting mate, while I think we are just the better team, it feels like it’s your ‘time/turn’ to go up.

• Like 1

Soz mate but I think we're going to blow you away by 3 or 4 goals at your place.

Echo what the others have said about this should be the final. 
That way at least one of us goes up.

Wouldn't begrudge MK cos I like the concrete cows.

But there's a chance Wycombe could go up which would be a travesty. No offence to their fans but that style of play needs stamping out of the game.

But I'm not nervous at all about our games.

We've been our worst enemy after a few wins and think we just need to turn up.

When we can be actually arsed, we rain goals. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChapSmurf said:

75,000! It's crazy mate. I do often wonder what foreign football fans must think when they see our third tier stadia, and the size of our crowds? Like many have said, it's just a shame we couldn't meet at Wembley, as that would have been an incredible advertisement for League 1 football. It's just a shame that clubs like ours having fallen so far, but what a rush when we climb back up hey.

I've not been to the Stadium of Light before (I was away in December and bloody glad I was!) so I'm really looking forward to coming up. Of course I'll be gutted if we don't get a decent result at your place, but I can't control that. But yeah, you're right - I'm expecting two epic games.

Cheers for the info on the pubs. We're travelling up by car and we're always up for a good bit of banter, so maybe I'll suggest the Wheatscheaf to the lads. We like football, having a beer, talking football, having more beers and then mostly talking rounduns. I think we'll be okay lol

Try our message board mate.  

Apologies in advance for some idiots on there.  But we all have them in our fan base.   Ha. 

www.readytogo.purefootball

You'll be absolutely fine in any of the pubs then mate.   

The Wheatscheaf is a decent sized pub and usually get away fans in.  And if you are there in good time.  Ample street parking near-by 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

Welcome @Mackem1, thanks for your views.

I was initially cringing fit to snap at the wave of apparent confidence about the semis I saw from various corners of our fanbase - but I think that was riding a wave from absolutely battering Pompey (4-1 didn’t flatter us one bit, should’ve been six really) and that whole day being a massive surge of relief.

What we’ve seen emerge more widely in the past couple of days has been far more reflective of how I feel about this tie: hopeful, sure, but also grimly realistic. As most on this thread have echoed, it really could go either way this one. We’re each capable of turning the other over by a good few goals on our day - but then again, the two sides that faced each other home and away mid-season have evolved massively since then. Neither has really blinked for ages, so it’s incredibly hard to say who might now.

I’ve plenty of time for Sunderland as a club and fanbase, largely because I feel we’ve shared a very similar depth and type of football fan agony the last couple decades - and especially so because of our uncanny (no idiom pun intended!) similarities in terms of size, history, league trajectories (and stinking neighbours) when everything is averaged out over a couple of decades.

Hope it’ll be a great spectacle, kinda gutted it’s not the final, and nervously excited for both games. Think the fans will get on tbh, never been a club we’ve really had any bother from or with.

Obviously hope we smash it but I wouldn’t put a quid on it either way right now. Very very hard to predict IMO, totally depends which version of both teams shows up twice in a row, who starts, who makes an impact off the bench, what happens over two legs, which approach the away sides adopt in each half…

…basically I’m this lass whenever I try to picture any of it!

image.gif.86ec7967c1d78b5d8af2e12b96fb0bea.gif

Another top post mate.  

I can't call it.  I think Fridays game could decide it.  As in if you can take something back to Sheffield.  It's yours to lose.  

2 massive clubs.  With unreal fans.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

One thing that could come into play and actually help Sunderland is player mentality in the first leg. Both sides have great home records and obviously gained big home wins in the regular season against each other. We could be in danger of going there thinking that a 1-0 defeat is a good result. The problem with that is if Sunderland do go 1 up we might still sit back, whereas in a league match we’d know we need to equalise. If you look at our mentality when we were 3-0 up at MK, especially in the 2nd half, we really sat back and created very little, despite the fact we’d already shown we could really get at them. I don’t want Wednesday to go into the match thinking 0-0 and 0-1 are good results and that 0-2 is ok. I hope Moore sends them out to win. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday v Sunderland would have been a great final with Wembley full.

Sunderland are a proper club and very similar to Wednesday.  Company I work for has a site in Hetton and I sometimes visit there so know quite a few Mackems.  All really nice people and wish them all the best apart from Friday and Monday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGreatNebber said:

If Wednesday lose then I'll definitely be supporting Sunderland for the final. Wycombe are basically set up to cheat their way to victory and although MK Dons play some nice stuff I'm of an age where I can never forget how they came to into existence. It's also 'about time' Sunderland got out of this league after 5 years and that's just one reason why I'm not very confident about our chances; sometimes it just seems like a team is on some kind of pre-determined path to promotion (see also the large numbers of last minute winners over recent weeks). 

There has been a bit of an embarrassing trend on twitter of fans of Wigan, Wycombe. MK Done and Rotherham having a love-in and wearing their lack of support as a kind of badge of honour. Yes, supporter numbers don't win you promotion but attracting big gates in the third tier of football is something to shout about and fans of bigger teams going though hard times do deserve some level of reward. Same reason I'd like to see Forest get promoted to the Premier League, not a fan in any way but they are 1000% times preferable to Bournemouth getting back up. 

I'd love to see Forest go back up over the parachute payment funded Bournemouth. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mackem1 said:

Morning All. 

As the title says.  I come in peace.  

Just wondering your views on our upcoming games.   2 huge clubs who should not be in this league.   

Disappointed with the respective away allocations.  And would hope that's more down too the sag and local police.  I believe the winners of our game will win at Wembley. 

810B8646-E26B-496F-9AEA-0542579CED95.jpeg

2 hours ago, TheGreatNebber said:

Agree totally with that 2nd paragraph. Rovrum fans decrying crowds, yet posting their season stats & highest home attendance was against us! 😂

Muppets. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mackem1 said:

Morning All. 

As the title says.  I come in peace.  

Just wondering your views on our upcoming games.   2 huge clubs who should not be in this league.   

Disappointed with the respective away allocations.  And would hope that's more down too the sag and local police.  I believe the winners of our game will win at Wembley. 

My 2nd team is Sunderland. Used to watch them back in the day at Roker Park. Lawrie McMenemy days. Marco Gabbiadini, Eric Gates, Gary Bennett etc. My mate at work was a Mackem. He used to come and watch us, and I went over to watch you lot.

His family would come over from Sunderland when you played us at Hillsborough too. I was actually at the game when Sunderland won the old league three.

Sorry but on this occasion, it has to be a Wednesday win though. 

• Like 1

Far too close to call.

On paper, I think we do edge it and probs have a little bit more quality, but it is splitting hairs really.

It's also the play offs where just about anything can happen. It may well come down more to mental toughness and dealing with pressure than quality on the ball.

Do agree though that this would have been a great final.

2 hours ago, Mosborough-owl said:

Not gunna lie, I think you’ll beat us at your place, but i think we will win at ours.

it’s just a case of who scores more for me 

This. Would be  ‘happy’ to come back to S6 trailing by a single goal if we can’t win or draw. Think we’d respond like we did against Pompey.