LISTEN: Pitch too hard. Players don't like it. Players say that's a reason for injuries.

7 hours ago, waverley_owl said:

As we do every week, we had 'The Debate Show' over on Twitter where we ask for you to come on and have your say on SWFC. As you can imagine the big talking point was the current state of the pitch and Giles had something interesting to say having spoken to a few of the players recently. 

Giles: "I've spoken to a few of the players and they've said it's not very nice [the pitch] to play on. It's very hard underneath... and they think that's one of the reasons why we're getting so many injuries."

>>> LISTEN TO THE FULL EPISODE <<<

Do you think there's any truth in that? Can we attribute the hard ground under the pitch as to why we're picking up so many injuries? 

No ridiculous suggestion 

I’m no expert, but it’s surely a bit of a non issue when exactly players go down with injuries, whether it be at home away or at the training ground? It’s perhaps that if they’ve been playing more often on sub standard surfaces than not, that puts their bodies under more strains and then they become more susceptible to picking up injuries?

So it’s impacting and lowering their overall condition, not simply turning up somewhere and it being a bad pitch and them getting injured because of solely that isolated interaction? 

55 minutes ago, graz gp said:

Whatever is causing all these injuries it needs sorting.  DM said he was going to investigate, but nothings been said about the outcome of his investigation. It would be interesting to hear is views. Uto

Waiting for the sue gray report 

• Like 1

No doubt in my mind it’s the pitch

Whether at Middlwood or Hillsborough 

Yes some mention we signed aged players and crocks  but look around the leagues… There are many playing whole seasons in their mid 30’s in league one

There are always the exception (Reach Bannan) but I think it’s the surfaces

Have you ever seen a desso pitch as terrible as Hillsborough?

They are normally like bowling greens but Hillsborough is different.

Think others have nailed it: 

The reason we get so many injuries is because we have a tendency to sign older players who have hit and miss injury records. 

Regarding NML, he is 29 and had barely kicked a ball for several months until he rocked up here. He is a player who relies on his pace and power, so one likely to be more susceptible to a pulled hamstring. 

Dunkley joined the club with a broken leg or something, didn't he? Hutchinson had to retire once because his injuries were so bad. Hunt was prone to having spells out when he was here in his first spell. 

Could go on and on. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Owl in Nottingham said:

If the pitch is so hard may be they should try softer insoles in their boots. 

Worth a try init. 

Cheaper than a new pitch so then we have a bit of cash left to by some replacement players for when we get injuries. 

softer insoles wouldn't reduce the forces involved 

not that I agree the pitch has an affect

14 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Think others have nailed it: 

The reason we get so many injuries is because we have a tendency to sign older players who have hit and miss injury records. 

Regarding NML, he is 29 and had barely kicked a ball for several months until he rocked up here. He is a player who relies on his pace and power, so one likely to be more susceptible to a pulled hamstring. 

Dunkley joined the club with a broken leg or something, didn't he? Hutchinson had to retire once because his injuries were so bad. Hunt was prone to having spells out when he was here in his first spell. 

Could go on and on. 

I think you can make this case for players like NML. Gone some time with not playing regular football - thrust back into it and pick up knocks. Players like NML also play the game at such a fast pace, I think given the high volume of games it was only a matter of time before he picked up a knock.

But I don’t think it’s as simple as we ‘sign crocks’. We’ve always had this issue and there’s players on the treatment table now who didn’t come here with a reputation of being injury prone. Windass and Iorfa being examples of that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think you can make this case for players like NML. Gone some time with not playing regular football - thrust back into it and pick up knocks. Players like NML also play the game at such a fast pace, I think given the high volume of games it was only a matter of time before he picked up a knock.

But I don’t think it’s as simple as we ‘sign crocks’. We’ve always had this issue and there’s players on the treatment table now who didn’t come here with a reputation of being injury prone. Windass and Iorfa being examples of that. 

but 1. They may have had to play more than what was ideal because of injuries elsewhere and 2. Clubs are going to get injuries anyway

11 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yes, but it is a factor. 

Guest Musttryharder

Is it the pitch, training gound, warming up or training. One thing is for sure,we collect an alarming amount of injuries which take an eternity to recover. That in itself appears to be the common factor. Why does it so long and 'knocks' become long term injuries. Is it how they are treated at club level. Why is it that over the last few years, players have taken themselves off to other countries to seek specilaist medical help. There must be something in that. Are we actually paying and recruiting a medical team up to treating football injuries correctly.

Sometbhing ain't right thats for sure.