Name players that have signed and proven you wrong

2 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

Bannan definitely. The stories of him drinking were pretty well known and he was thought of as someone who had wasted his talent.

On a lesser scale, Craig Rocastle. I thought he was utter dogshit when he first came but made himself an important part of the Sturrock promotion team.

He was utter dogshit 🤣

Never signed unfortunately but safe to say king Eric Cantona proved Trevor Francis wrong! 

Did actually sign - anyone remember Darko Kovacevic! Signed for us as a prolific striker so expected big things - did nothing for us - went to Spain/Italy to become a top player! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

There’s been many times where we’ve signed players and most have raised their eyebrows, Berahino the stand out this season who is yet to offer anything of any substance.

However, what names spring to mind where they have totally proven you wrong?

I can't think of that many eyebrow raisers to be honest! I suppose Jeffers and Leon Clarke came with bad reputations and both worked out as expected.

We've mostly either been excited about a signing and then been disappointed, or never heard of them and then been disappointed.

4 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

There’s been many times where we’ve signed players and most have raised their eyebrows, Berahino the stand out this season who is yet to offer anything of any substance.

However, what names spring to mind where they have totally proven you wrong?

Bestwetherick, did really well at Plymouth, diabolical for us,

32 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Always remember being really happy  we signed Kenny lunt. Was always good lots of assists and mom's at crewe and used to score a lot of goals from midfield. Ws just the complete opposite when we signed him. 

Ahh Kenny Lunt... a gift of a name for the mischievous football fan!😏

• Like 1

• Bobby Craig
  • John Ritchie
  • Bobby Hope
  • Dennis Leman
  • Eric McMordie
  • Mick Lyons
  • Martin Hodge
  • Garry Megson
  • Andy McCulloch
  • Garry Bannister
  • Terry Curran
  • Nigel Pearson
  • Nigel Worthington
  • Roland Nielsson
  • John Sherridan
  • David Hirst
  • Dalian Atkinson
  • Paul Warhurst
  • Benito Carbone 
  • Paulo DiCannio
  • Biggest surprise of all  John Beswetherick WTF lol 

Martin hodge for me came as a keeper who been to a few clubs but never really made and I thought he would be same here however he player 200 odd consecutive  game  and  turned into an excellent keeper

Who should have gone to world Cup with England 

One performance stood out for me was a cup tie at Derby played on a bone hard frosty pitch and despite getting injured produced an 10 out of 10 performance

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flash said:

Never signed unfortunately but safe to say king Eric Cantona proved Trevor Francis wrong! 

Did actually sign - anyone remember Darko Kovacevic! Signed for us as a prolific striker so expected big things - did nothing for us - went to Spain/Italy to become a top player! 

He wasn't here long enough to make an impact. Was sold as we were in the poo financially

4 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Another one here to throw in to the ring.Brian Marwood. Signed from Hull in 1984 for £100,000. Was expecting us to sign big name players for the 1984/85 season.Still he did a pretty good job for us in that season.Eventually, he moved to Arsenal for £700,000.

This, Marwood was an excellent signing, never afraid to take his man on and created so many goals for Chapman, etc. Whilst I didn't agree with this view, I had a Man Utd mate who reckoned he was better than Coppell.....which probably explains why he ended up going to Arsenal for what was big money at the time

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TommyCraig said:

Chris Waddle

Thought he was an aging superstar past his best, getting in a last payday. 

My god he was good. 

I consider myself lucky to have seen him create masterpieces on the hallowed turf. 

Indeed, those of us who are of a certain vintage were blessed to see him play (and the rest of the 92/93 team).

There are so many memories of Waddle and of course his goals at Wembley stand out, both the one in the Semi against the great unwashed but also his equaliser in the Final replay which had us believing, but his performance against West Ham was sensational making Burrows (who was a very good full back) look like a Sunday League player.......sighs as he thinks of what has happened to the club since those halcyon days.

• Like 1
  • Love 2