Name players that have signed and proven you wrong

In a good way viv anderson ,saw his debut at hull and thought why the feck have w

e signed this old plodder  .......in bad way rhodes was very disappointing as I thought he'd be the one to get goals to get us up but sadly his  injuries  had taken the edge off him  .

Bannan definitely. The stories of him drinking were pretty well known and he was thought of as someone who had wasted his talent.

On a lesser scale, Craig Rocastle. I thought he was utter dogshit when he first came but made himself an important part of the Sturrock promotion team.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, unkastav said:

Stevie may. Thought he’d be good

Good shout. 

His scoring record in Scotland was phenomenal, but he just looked a notch below what was required in the Championship, didn't he?

He wasn't quick enough to get away from defenders, nor strong enough to hold them off for long...and I don't think I've ever seen a striker with a weaker shot.

He did some decent things, but it was all a bit 'meh', really, wasn't it?

This just about sums him up - decent movement and technique, then a pea-roller of a shot which isn't even on target...

485081110_StevieMayTurn.gif.229f604c98d82614e6eb482f57ac0492.gif

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Good shout. 

His scoring record in Scotland was phenomenal, but he just looked a notch below what was required in the Championship, didn't he?

He wasn't quick enough to get away from defenders, nor strong enough to hold them off for long...and I don't think I've ever seen a striker with a weaker shot.

He did some decent things, but it was all a bit 'meh', really, wasn't it?

This just about sums him up - decent movement and technique, then a pea-roller of a shot which isn't even on target...

485081110_StevieMayTurn.gif.229f604c98d82614e6eb482f57ac0492.gif

I remember watching his 20 goals for St Johnstone and the vast majority were so strange - either poor goalkeeping or very good luck.

Like you say he had decent movement but was very weak and physically not quite up to it I don’t think. He went to Preston and got a nasty injury if I recall? Think he could have still forged out a career for a lower league Championship/top half League One side if it wasn’t for that.

• Like 1

Another one here to throw in to the ring.Brian Marwood. Signed from Hull in 1984 for £100,000. Was expecting us to sign big name players for the 1984/85 season.Still he did a pretty good job for us in that season.Eventually, he moved to Arsenal for £700,000.

On the positive side I actually remember thinking Waddle might have been past it before he signed for us. Clearly he wasn’t. 

Disapointments list is almost too long to start but last season Jack Marriott was a particular lowlight. I thought he might be useful. But he wasn’t. Half a season injured and no goals at all. Rubbish.