One Loss in the Last 12...

We are doing well and are very much in the hunt .

the next game is against the best team in the league in my view so we cannot get too carried away if we don’t win it.  We are showing decent form now- creating more chances, defence looks better playing out and players look fitter.  

4 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

It does neither because the season is ongoing. But for me they have to do what they have done in the last 4 league games on a more consistent basis. This week against two top 6 sides should show us a lot about whether we are up to it or not. 

Exactly this, the next 6 days will definitely be a litmus test to see where we are, and whether any renewed hope is justified. Let's just hope the litmus paper turns blue, with white stripes.

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Could you share your assessments of the teams doing better than us and how their squads are poorly assembled please. TBH I don’t know much about the other teams in this league and I’d be interested to learn how our squad of failed championship players, unproven loans, freebies and rejects is so much better than theirs. Thanks in advance. 

So you’re suggesting that Wycombe and Rotherham, who only finished above us last season due to our points deduction, have a better assembled squad than us? 

Wigan? MK Dons? Sunderland? Am I seriously meant to believe they’ve attracted better players, have better squads and/or spent more money than us? I know the wallet has been tight recently, but I still can’t believe any of these clubs made any big signings financially. They are league 1 clubs 

Also, weren’t only 4 out of the 11 playing yesterday summer signings? 

Dunkley

Luongo

Bannan

Patterson

Palmer 

Brennan

Dele Bashiru

Were already here 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

It was bloody nervy in that away end after they'd made it 3-2, and it was palpable in the players as well.  We could/should still have put the game to bed on the break, but not scoring enough goals is another major concern. 

Thought the players handled it quite well, AS didn't exactly bombarded us.  Yes, we are making loads of chances and we aren't finishing them off.  Need to find better quality forwards, he says flippantly. 

We're not pulling up any trees at the moment but, remarkably, we're still in a good position.  A couple of weeks ago I wasn't convinced about DM, but we do seem to be improving.  Take away the baffling selections/formations, and I think we would all have accepted 2 points off the playoffs for this stage, at the beginning of the season - considering the players need to gell etc etc.  It's just come in such a hap-hazzard way.

So for me, the jury's still out, but he has my support, for the time being.

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

So you’re suggesting that Wycombe and Rotherham, who only finished above us last season due to our points deduction, have a better assembled squad than us? 

Wigan? MK Dons? Sunderland? Am I seriously meant to believe they’ve attracted better players, have better squads and/or spent more money than us? I know the wallet has been tight recently, but I still can’t believe any of these clubs made any big signings financially. They are league 1 clubs 

Dunkley

Luongo

Bannan

Patterson

Palmer 

Brennan

Dele Bashiru

Were already here 

So you know nothing about the other squads either ? How much money have we spent ? We are a league one club who couldn’t pay the players wages when we were in the Championship. 

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Dunkley

Luongo

Bannan

Patterson

Palmer 

Brennan

Dele Bashiru

Were already here 

They have a far better manager than us..and Rotherham have a great team mentality..not like us...

• Haha 1

'The league is Dogpiss'

Blimey.

I'm going to guess that people who bang on about this 'the league is rubbish':

1) would never have the nous to say this to any League 1 footballer they met.

2) Haven't really played past a 5 a side standard.

3) Couldn't name more than 2 players from any other team in this league, let alone have any clue about them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Dunkley

Luongo

Bannan

Patterson

Palmer 

Brennan

Dele Bashiru

Were already here 

Some will never accept it....................and you left out Joe Wildsmith  that would make 8

Edited by parajack

52 minutes ago, Otley Owl said:

'The league is Dogpiss'

Blimey.

I'm going to guess that people who bang on about this 'the league is rubbish':

1) would never have the nous to say this to any League 1 footballer they met.

2) Haven't really played past a 5 a side standard.

3) Couldn't name more than 2 players from any other team in this league, let alone have any clue about them. 

This League IS poor,thats why its Division 3 out of 4 in England...it means the two Leagues higher are better.There is a salary cap applicable in this League,different rules apply to grounds,referee's and linesman (most would agree)are  of a lesser standard.....& so on....theres less TV & EFL money,salarys lower(generally) crowds lower.....all valid reasons why its poor in my view

Its not a ******** swinging contest,i would be quite happy to say that to any L1 footballer i met...whats to disagree about the above statement?

Do players play in L1 than for the 'glory' Errrrr NO they play there because that is there current level,and they have not(in the main relegation aside) been able to obtain and keep Employment  in the Championship or PL.(exceptions apply BB etc)

Your last point is irrelevant.....half the paid commentators cant name the players let alone the fan base

2 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

So you know nothing about the other squads either ? How much money have we spent ? We are a league one club who couldn’t pay the players wages when we were in the Championship. 

Couldn't or wouldn't? neither you or I know the answer to that,but what we do know is no further sanction was forthcoming and a temporary cash flow situation,at a time of no gate income,in the middle of a Global pandemic,is not quite the scenario your painting is it?

At the top things change but at the moment I would say that Rotherham and Plymouth are the best teams in the league and will eventually pull away unless they get major injuries.

I personally don't see Wigan keeping it up.

The rest of the teams in the top 10 all have major weaknesses. Its about being consistent from now on. Charlton are flying too and will make the race for the top 6 even harder. 

I think we will scrape in but I wouldn't bet much on it.

20 hours ago, parajack said:

Couldn't or wouldn't? neither you or I know the answer to that,but what we do know is no further sanction was forthcoming and a temporary cash flow situation,at a time of no gate income,in the middle of a Global pandemic,is not quite the scenario your painting is it?

Couldn’t or wouldn’t, many feel that the failure to pay wages was a factor in the clubs abject surrender last season. If it was a deliberate act (wouldn’t) it appears ill advised and counter productive. 

Anyway, the actual point was about the relative strength of squads in this division. The scenario was actually painted by Fresh Owl that SWFC and, in particular, the playing squad are somehow the best in League 1.. The table suggests otherwise so I’m interested in the rationale as I don’t know enough about everyone else’s squads. 

We still aren't clinical enough in front of goal. Saturday was a prime example because we could have had three or four more goals quite easily then it wouldn't have been such a nervy finish.

Bannan, Corbeanu and Patterson all had relatively simple chances in the first half and there were two or three more in the second. More work to be done in this area.