One Loss in the Last 12...

... in the league. 

On a points per game basis, the last 12 games translates to 73 points. Historically, that's just about scraping the play-offs. This has been without: Iorfa, Hutchinson, Gibson, Byers, Windass and Luongo.

Unquestionably there have been performances that haven't been good enough during the last 12 games, from both the manager and the team as a whole. But... has the criticism of Moore been overly harsh? Or does scraping a 3-2 win away against Accrington Stanley just paper over the cracks? I genuinely can't decide by the way. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think now is the time we’ll actually kick on. 

Got to put everything into these next games and we’ll get on a roll. 

I think we’ve nearly/just about figured out some of the way we should be playing. 

Theo has changed our style, so has being more direct etc… Dunkley has been doing his best as a leader 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

A nervy win that should have been a comfortable one against Accrington is still only papering over the cracks for me. 

It's alright saying we've only lost 1 in 12, but how many of those 12 have we won, 4? Performances have been largely poor and unconvincing, which I put down to Moore's refusal to play anything other than 352 even when it means having nearly half the team playing outside of their natural positions. If we'd been playing well but been unlucky not to win games I wouldn't mind so much, but we're not - all too often we're uncreative, mentally weak, and the players seem either unsure what they're supposed to be doing, or sometimes they don't seem to care. 

I was happy with the win yesterday obviously, but we need to be way more consistent, if we start to turn the draws to wins in a consistent basis I'll be cautiously optimistic but Moore still has to do a lot better to turn things around.  Draws kill you, we may have only lost 3 of 18 league games which some people take to mean all is well, but before yesterday's win we'd have actually been slightly better off pointswise had we lost every other game and won the rest. 

• Like 9

How we do against the likes of Wycombe, MK, Portsmouth and Sunderland in our next few games will demonstrate if we’ve turned a corner or not, IMO. 

In the second half of the season we have to correct the mistakes we’ve made in the first half if we’re serious about going up - I hope we can do it but I’m not confident at all

• Like 2

I think 4 wins out of 12, with this group of players for this league, probably tells you that people haven’t been too harsh on Moore

We should be doing much better. 

This league is utter dogpiss and there’s teams doing better than us with poorly assembled squads 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, alanharper said:

A nervy win that should have been a comfortable one against Accrington is still only papering over the cracks for me. 

It's alright saying we've only lost 1 in 12, but how many of those 12 have we won, 4? Performances have been largely poor and unconvincing, which I put down to Moore's refusal to play anything other than 352 even when it means having nearly half the team playing outside of their natural positions. If we'd been playing well but been unlucky not to win games I wouldn't mind so much, but we're not - all too often we're uncreative, mentally weak, and the players seem either unsure what they're supposed to be doing, or sometimes they don't seem to care. 

I was happy with the win yesterday obviously, but we need to be way more consistent, if we start to turn the draws to wins in a consistent basis I'll be cautiously optimistic but Moore still has to do a lot better to turn things around.  Draws kill you, we may have only lost 3 of 18 league games which some people take to mean all is well, but before yesterday's win we'd have actually been slightly better off pointswise had we lost every other game and won the rest. 

Didn’t we play 442 yesterday? 

52 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Unquestionably there have been performances that haven't been good enough during the last 12 games, from both the manager and the team as a whole. But... has the criticism of Moore been overly harsh? Or does scraping a 3-2 win away against Accrington Stanley just paper over the cracks? I genuinely can't decide by the way. 

It's been harsh. And it's been contradictory. People complaining that he keeps changing system, while others complain that he's "stubborn" and persists with 3-5-2 for example. People saying that with the current squad we should be bossing the league, while ignoring the fact that it was DM who brought a lot of those players to Hillsborough.

Considering we spent all of last season in the relegation zone, couldn't pay the players, and half the first team looked like they couldn't wait to get away and our performance this season begins to look like a big step in the right direction.

BTW, did we really "scrape a win" against Accrington Stanley? I know they pulled back two goals, but the first had an element of fortune about it, and the second was an absolute peach. In reality, we were quite comfortable and looked more likely to extend our lead than surrender it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The performances have been much better over the last few games. The last 3 league games (well first half against Accrington at least, Sunderland and Gillingham) have been 3 of our best performances of the season. Plenty of good play and loads of chances created. 

A month ago we seemed all over the place with formation and lineup changes each week and just no creativity.

• Like 4

This league is absolutely abysmal and performances and results against some of the sides near the bottom of it have been awful, especially when a lot of it has been of Moore’s own making 

Not good enough and it’s going to take more than a panicky win against Accrington Stanley to change my mind 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

It didn't look a nervy win to me. We do need to win more though, still don't think we are the finished article as a squad, more work to me done.

There is always more to a stat like that which as a standalone is impressive.

In that 12 games there have been draws v weak opposition, a continuation of points thrown away which is cause for concern.

We do have tough games coming up and we may regret not beating Fleetwood, Cheltenham, Cambridge etc.

Personally I have found tactics and team selections weird but thats just my take.

However we are scoring more goals and have moved on from negative football. Lets hope this continues as playoffs are still for taking.

UTO.

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

... in the league. 

On a points per game basis, the last 12 games translates to 73 points. Historically, that's just about scraping the play-offs. This has been without: Iorfa, Hutchinson, Gibson, Byers, Windass and Luongo.

Good post. I'd be very happy if we can win 3 or 4 on the bounce and build momentum. I hope Moore can learn from his mistakes and set us up properly from the off. Two home games we should be winning coming up. Time will tell. 

This league is there for the taking if play it smart, especially with the returning players coming back into the squad. 

48 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

It didn't look a nervy win to me. We do need to win more though, still don't think we are the finished article as a squad, more work to me done.

It was bloody nervy in that away end after they'd made it 3-2, and it was palpable in the players as well.  We could/should still have put the game to bed on the break, but not scoring enough goals is another major concern. 

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I think 4 wins out of 12, with this group of players for this league, probably tells you that people haven’t been too harsh on Moore

We should be doing much better. 

This league is utter dogpiss and there’s teams doing better than us with poorly assembled squads 

Could you share your assessments of the teams doing better than us and how their squads are poorly assembled please. TBH I don’t know much about the other teams in this league and I’d be interested to learn how our squad of failed championship players, unproven loans, freebies and rejects is so much better than theirs. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3