Man of the match & ratings - CAMBRIDGE (A)

Man of the match   

223 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the match

• Peacock-Farrell
    • Hunt
    • Johnson
    • Palmer
    • Iorfa
    • Dunkley
    • Dele-Bashiru
    • Bannan
    • Paterson
    • Gregory
    • Wing
    • Adeniran
    • Berahino
    • Shodipo

2 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

I will have to watch it back to see how astute it was.

For me he doesn't get involved enough can't think of anything else he did positively.

Here you go should play from just before the goal:

Though Berahino was improved last night, first couple of appearances he looked decent then went off a bit, doesn't help to be coming on as sub into some of the team performances we've seen of late, personally haven't written him off yet!

I thought we were appalling for 60 minutes. Then we got rid of the stupid back three and we battered them. Play a simple formation and we will games in this league.

Peacock-Farrell 6 looked nervy at first but a few decent catches/punches and one great save

Hunt 7 had a good game. Has produced decent crosses in last two games

Iorfa 6 ok but not the messiah we excepted in this league 

Dunkley 6 one great block but has zero pace

Palmer 6 feel sorry for him being shunted about. Almost scored the winner

Bannan 8 anyone who doesn’t rate Baz is a total tool who knows nothing about football IMO. Our best player by a country mile

Wing 4 he’s been awful. I just don’t understand it. He was amazing for Rovrum 

Dele-Bashiru 8 great running and an excellent finish for the goal. We could have a player here

Paterson 5 struggled last night

Gregory 5 not up to his usual high standards

Adeniran 6 solid enough but he ain’t as good as people go on about 

Shodipo 6 gave pace but missed a decent chance late on. Has no confidence 

Berahino 6 got an assist but I’m just not impressed. Not quite sure what he’s actually good at

Moore 3 garbage again. A back three is ridiculous in this league and not needed. All our attacking players are stuck on the bench. For me he gets the next 4 games until the international break and if there’s no serious improvement he needs removing 

• Thanks 1

Easiest decision of my life, even before his goal FDB woulda been my MOTM. Goal just confirmed it, he made that from very little.

As others have said, Bannan was also great but there's no use in him making chances if no one can finish them so has to go to FDB if for that alone

Edited by S6ToBerlin

8 hours ago, Morepork said:

I’ve made my feelings known on our lack of tactical identity and our apparent mentality vacuum. But my god, why at the outset of a match do we still look startled at the oppositions desire to f@ck us over and send us packing. We need to be riled up and ready for a scrap before the game starts, not just managing to find some grit in the final ten minutes.

Teams have us sussed. We are weak at left back so they attack down that side.

Dunley is a liability when we play out from defence so they put him under pressuce while cutting out his passing options. The midfield is static so he hasn't got a pass option. Get it sorted.

In windy conditions don't play high balls, the wind will affect it's flight. After trying it a couple of times a professional footballer should realise that. Keep it on the deck.

I this league you are going to come up against very fit, hardworking players who won't give you time for fancy stuff. You have to match them to earn the right before you can let your quality show.

Sort out the throw ins, I watched Cambridge at throw ins, it looked like they had 3 players moving to a pattern they'd practiced in training, it created space and time to retain the ball. We don't, we have one player showing. Simple to sort so do it.

• Like 2

Bpf 6 

Hunt 7 did well 

Palmer 6

Dunkley 6 battles well but looks a bit of a liability 

Iorfa 5 not his best game 

Johnson 5.5

Wing 4 very poor

Bannan 6

FDB 8 motm

Gregory 6.5 battled well

Patterson 6.5 see above

Adeniran looked decent when he came on 

8 hours ago, Paul.. said:

Here you go should play from just before the goal:

Though Berahino was improved last night, first couple of appearances he looked decent then went off a bit, doesn't help to be coming on as sub into some of the team performances we've seen of late, personally haven't written him off yet!

Thanks for posting that.

Confirms why I marked him a 5 instead of a 4.

Only 8 sets of ratings in so far... any more left in the tank?

Current average scores are:

Peacock-Farrell: 6.4

Iorfa: 5.3

Dunkley: 6.0

Palmer: 6.6

Hunt: 6.6

Johnson: 5.0

Bannan: 7.3

Wing: 3.8

Dele-Bashiru: 8.1

Gregory: 5.6

Paterson: 5.4

Adeniran: 6.5

Berahino: 6.2

Shodipo: 5.3

Will tally up the final scores tomorrow evening.

Peacock-Farrell:              7 

Hunt:                                 7

Iorfa:                                 7

Dunkley:                            6

Palmer:                              7 

Johnson:                           5

Dele-Bashiru:                    8            Bums off seats award

Wing:                                 4

Bannan                              8             MOTM Award again

Gregory:                             5

Paterson:                           6

Adeniran:                           7

Berahino:                           6

Shodipo:                            5

Peacock-Farrell: 7 Didn't really have much to do. Doesn't like nearpost crosses at all.

Iorfa: 7 Just Dom.

Dunkley: 7 Solid as usual, best pass of the game.

Palmer: 7 Much better once on the right. The main driver behind the barrage at the end.

Hunt: 6 A better wing back than full back.

Johnson: 6 More defensive than usual, but OK.

Bannan: 8 Involved in everything.

Wing: 6 Playing pretty well at the start, then had a mad 10 minutes where nothing worked and got frustrated. Seemed tired.

Dele-Bashiru: 8 Drifted in and out, but great energy late on and a good goal.

Gregory: 5 Honestly don't see what everyone sees in him.

Paterson: 7 He's like a hyperactive spaniel. In everything, whether he should be or not.

Adeniran: 6 OK, didn't really do much once on.

Berahino: 7 Good flick, good movement.

Shodipo: 6 Needs a goal to settle down. Still got a couple of shots off.

Bit late, but here goes...

Peacock-Farrell - 6 - A very uncertain start, where he flapped at a few crosses, and kicked poorly. But, in testing conditions, he steadied himself and looked assured enough in the 2nd half.

Iorfa - 6 - Below par. Careless in possession too often, and defensively looked nowhere near as assured as normal.

Dunkley - 7 - Two crucial interventions which prevented potential goals...firstly following Palmer's rash decision making to make a last ditch block, and secondly a last ditch tackle on the six yard box to deny Cambridge an attempt at goal. Looks comfortable playing in the middle of a three.

Palmer - 6 - His rash decision to dive in to attempt to intercept a through ball could've cost us a goal, but for Dunkley's block. Seemed to be stuck between two positions all night, and failed to defend the box well enough on too many occasions. Missed a sitter at the end. Still baffled as to Moore's decision to take off the offensively efficient Hunt and move the offensively impotent Palmer to right back.

Hunt - 6 - Defended the right flank well, but probably frustrated about his lack of attacking opportunities, but showed good quality when in advanced areas.

Johnson - 6 - Struggled to cope with Cambridge's right hand side in the 1st half, with Williams creating overloads often, but lacked support from either Wing or Palmer. Grew into the game, and I thought he had a good 2nd half, was involved in a lot of good stuff going forward. 

Wing - 4 - He's officially infuriating me now. He's offered nothing like the standards we saw last season at Rotherham. In fact, he beginning to look like a competition winner. So bereft of confidence, to the point where he seems to have lost all footballing ability. 

Bannan - 8 - Ran the game in the 2nd half especially, and consistently probed with forward passes looking to make things happen. It's a travesty that we are failing to score goals with a player of this quality in our team.

Dele-Bashiru - 8 - Man of the Match - Just edged the MotM from Bannan, because I think he deserves credit for having the bravery to try and make things happen that so many of his teammates are lacking. Constantly looking to get forward, get into the box, commits players. Doesn't hide. Refreshing to see from a player with so little experience. Took his goal well, and unfortunate not to have got a goal in the 1st half also.

Paterson - 5 - Another poor performance from Paterson. Seems more intent on getting himself concussed than he does playing football. 

Gregory - 6 - Quiet game. Feeding off scraps. Did the simple things well enough, but we need to create more for him.

Adeniran - 6 - Nothing special, but huge improvement on Wing.

Berahino - 6 - Couldn't understand the substitution given it was in a period where we needed to go more direct. He failed to get himself into the game, but showed a nice bit of quality for the touch for the goal.

Shodipo - 5 - Like Wing...I think he's left his boots at his parent club. Where is the player that clocked up a ton of goals and assists at Oxford last season? Looks like he has it all on, just to stand up. Needs to buck his ideas up.

Overall...

Same old problems. Another poor result, against a pretty poor outfit.

Slow, sluggish, turgid play for much of the game. Reliant on individual quality of players rather than team cohesion. 

Cambridge dealt with the conditions better, and were well up for it. We looked shell shocked again. 

Still a million miles away from it looking anything like clicking. And Moore's constant over-protection and deluded optimism is becoming very worrying.

• Like 2

Bpf 6- bit Shakey,early on especially. hopefully he will settle down now and hs e a decent run.

Dom not his best game by his own high standards 6

dunkley - made some important interventions 7 

Palmer solid as usual ,made some good dribbles .almost scored  7

hunt_ bit quieter today ,did alright 6.5

johnson- made mistakes again ...has a decent cross on his but can't defend ,flew in and missed the tackle early,seemed naive. 5

wing +yet again was really poor,passing been terrible ..it's not working for him in our midfield .5

fizz mom ...grew in confidence.makes brilliant powerful runs. getting better at when to pass and when to burst forward..

so pleased he got that goal.

hes kicked on from last year..8

bannan 7.5 as usual he is different  class with his vision..teeing up his teammates once again ..lovely move with Palmer ..

he's our conducter..

patto- couldn't get his dad body into this one... but still worked hard. and moaned lots about his head ..6

Gregory - not as involved but still tried up top 6

berinhino -came on and got an assist...maybe start his with Gregory next game...

he might be useful in a two 7

adeniran ..game opened up late on and while Denis wasn't  involved in loads of the played his part and looked better than wing 6.5

shopido - got some space and had chances to make something happen, didn't happen for him6

• Like 1

Just watched it on ifollow. Thought we weren't as bad as Giddings made out, suggesting Cambridge were the better side. We had a 1-on1 with the keeper, hit the post, had a header cleared off the line, a great save from Palmer's header, another save from Johnson's shot plus the goal - and what did Cambridge do apart from launch balls at us (often from throw-ins where they'd stolen a good 10 yards!) and score from a set-piece. Did they have another chance?

Peacock-Farrell: 5 Difficult night. Almost conceded from another clanger. Got beaten at near post again. 

Iorfa: 6 OK

Dunkley: 7 Battling performance. Much needed in those conditions

Palmer: 7 Did fine, almost scored.

Hunt: 7 Always a threat but his crosses didn't come off

Johnson: 6 OK

Bannan: 8 Another good game. Some superb balls including the Palmer header and the one cleared off the line

Wing: 4 - Did he do anything right all game? Love someone else's description of him having his feet on backwards. Looks likely to lose his place now and deservedly so. I'm gutted as I thought he'd be good.

Dele-Bashiru: 8 MoM. Full of energy, barely misplaced a pass, worked his opening well when he hit the post and scored a beauty. I've been critical before but he looked great tonight.

Paterson: 5 Barely noticed any contribution from him.

Gregory: 6 Worked hard as ever but not much to show for it

Adeniran: 6 Looked an improvement on Wing

Berahino: 6 Nice flick for the assist. Quick to pounce when Johnson's shot was spilled. Looked a bit more like a footballer tonight.

Shodipo: 4 Another I had high hopes of but seems to be fluffing every audition

• Like 1

13 sets of ratings in total. Thanks as usual to @Bez, @Holmowl, @Pieman, @A E Neuman NYowl, @trotter, @Owlabroad2001, @Andrew_Owl, @nevthelodgemoorowl, @Tewkesbury, @frastheowl, @adamwestsleftear, @davetherivelinowl

Final scores are:

Cambridge United vs SWFC, 19 October 2021

Peacock-Farrell: 6.3

Iorfa: 5.7

Dunkley: 6.3

Palmer: 6.7

Hunt: 6.5

Johnson: 5.3

Bannan: 7.5

Wing: 4.1

Dele-Bashiru: 8.0 - MoM

Gregory: 5.6