Iorfa / Dunkley

I commented to my Brother straight away  how the body language of the 2 centre backs( especially Dunkley) looked so down and negative. Shoulders slumped, moaning at each other, something doesn’t seem right there. They looked so uncomfortable. And I mean even at 0-0. I thought after a good mid-week win there would be energy and players would be buzzing around but it seems very flat.

They all look a bit lost. Maybe then you have to look at the coaching and manager. I don’t know... I’m clutching at straws a bit here. I thought they looked scared to death to even have the ball.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for them. They are not ball playing defenders. They just don’t have it in there lockers. So making them the starting point for attacks is a joke. It’s time to stop playing out from the back! We can’t do it. Even with Hutch who is the best at it we still don’t give options to pass to and the ball is heading back at us time after time!

It’s league one! Fast wingers, big strikers, lots of running around, capitalise on mistakes and small moments of quality to win games. 
When we do battle hard and go more direct we look ok in the main. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jim Wonk said:

I commented to my Brother straight away  how the body language of the 2 centre backs( especially Dunkley) looked so down and negative. Shoulders slumped, moaning at each other, something doesn’t seem right there. They looked so uncomfortable. And I mean even at 0-0. I thought after a good mid-week win there would be energy and players would be buzzing around but it seems very flat.

They all look a bit lost. Maybe then you have to look at the coaching and manager. I don’t know... I’m clutching at straws a bit here. I thought they looked scared to death to even have the ball.

Dunkley in particular looked very pi55ed off from the start yesterday. You could see him and BPF having some very heated conversations. 

Dunkley had a proper go at him after their first goal. 

• Like 1

You can't play Champagne Football with Fanta

In the first hald yesterday we constantly passed to Dunkley a right footed CB playing in the left CB position. That meant he was either panicked into clearing it with his left or turning back inside again and the ball going to BPF to clear or a dodgy pass to Iorfa/Palmer.

Oxford constantly played the ball down the channels with great resullts, every set piece/goal kick also went towards Johnson as they spotted he was the weak link.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fpowl said:

Football made complicated in an uncomplicated league 

let defenders defend 

let attackers attack 

keep the ball away from your goal 

in otherworlds get rid of it 

playing out from the back will end up Moore collecting his P45 he needs to stop it and fast 

What do the midfielders do?

37 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

I'd stick Big Dom in middle with Dele and Bannan......sorted...

Yes in a thread where everyone is lambasting the poor abilities on the ball of two players then the obvious solution is to put one of them in a position where they will see more of the ball and with less time on the ball to play. Sorted.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Billque said:

It was very obvious that we missed Hutchinson at the back today. Dom. needs his reliability at the side of him, cos he seems to lose all his confidence when covering for Dunkerley all the time.. As posted on other posts, Johmson at left wing back does not work, simply cos he can not defend.

Johnson cost us the penalty in the other game. Yesterday he was given a hospital pass, he was covered. He should have put it out for a throw and had a go at the player who passed to him. Instead he tried to play out of it and lost the ball.  The keeper should have saved it , he got done at the near post, not his greatest moment. Great save later though.

Johnson does get forward well but if he can't be relied upon in defence either Brown needs to play or we need to get Palmer back on that side. Not ideal but he is better as a defender.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom22709 said:

It’s about beating the press and forcing a 4v4, 5v5 situation further up the pitch, essentially a game of chess, the best sides will work angles and play out to try and force these situations. We don’t, we do it for the sake of doing it, and it gets us into a lot of trouble 

If that is the plan the midfield is far too static. They need to be on the move constantly pulling players around and constantly creating gaps and angles.

Having the CB's with the ball and the full backs wide but covered won't work unless the midfield are switched on.

2 hours ago, the_vinyl_frontier said:

I love Iorfa, I think he is a brilliant player, but playing with Dunkley is making him look poor as he is having to cover for him too. Dunkley is dreadful and nowhere near the level we need for a CB

Dunkley's having to cover for Johnson, at least Iorfa has some cover with Palmer. 

He was fine with Palmer next to him earlier in the season. 

53 minutes ago, prowl said:

If that is the plan the midfield is far too static. They need to be on the move constantly pulling players around and constantly creating gaps and angles.

Having the CB's with the ball and the full backs wide but covered won't work unless the midfield are switched on.

Exactly, teams who do it well will work on plays and have a plan to beat the press, we just seem to do it for the sake of doing it, of course it also helps if your centre halves can play football

3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Dunkley is a waste of space. 

Dunkley is an excellent League One defender. He is outstanding in the air, strong in the tackle and organises the back line.

playing in our last promotion team, he’d have been excellent.

Keep passing it to him in his own area from our own goal kick, he will struggle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Behave ffs 😂

Tom Lees barring a weird spell last season was pretty consistent for us.

Iorfa isn't consistent in the slightest and is similar to Lees in that he is half the player when he hasn't got Hutchinson next to him, a bit like Lees was with Loovens. So far in his career he hasn't showed he is anywhere near as reliable as Lees.