Iorfa / Dunkley

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

You wonder why Dunkley looks scared, here is where we lost possession v Oxford:

Note that Dunkley didn't lose possession, Iorfa once in midfield and Palmer once in their corner.

image.png.5e052793de05a79321fba86632ff5fcf.png

So we lost possession 30 odd times in 90 minutes.

Would you mind informing on the league average mate?

No worries if not to hand.

As someone said earlier, Iorfa isn’t a ball playing CB. He’s a head it, kick it,type player. Win it and thump it down field. Let him be that type of player and leave the playing it out from the back to Man City types. 
Iorfas game will only improve if he’s allowed to do what he can do best. 

2 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Our set up is wrong for them, and neither are playing as good as they should be. 

According to their stats, Iorfa, Dunkley and Hutch are our best players. 

We still have the second best defence in the league, even with the mistakes.

Dunkley played a blinder against Oxford, given the liability that Johnson was.

Heatmap for Dunkley and Oxford team:

image.png.ae70ac1f921c306290a07b6012e9be69.png

He was constantly filling the gap for Johnson. Here's where Johnson lost the ball:

image.png.833d193d91dd4be7f94d3bd9c927a23e.png

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, striker said:

Both looked a liability today, some last ditch stuff at times saved further embarrassment....and how did their (comparatively) little number 9 win so many headers against those two. 

Because,let's be honest they arent very good,iorfa has gone so far backward in 3 years its unbelievable..and Dunkley has always been poor...

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Recently I’ve said that goals will get us out of this league. 

I think if we actually attack the game first half, go a goal or two up then our CB pairing is probably more than good enough to keep the door shut… I can’t see them conceding two from a winning position - but the tactics and messing about puts us in a hole, making us sloppy and more likely to concede first. 

23 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Those two can defend very well at this level. Probably the best pair in the division.

Asking your centre backs to play it out from the keeper in League One is unnecessary and brain dead.

I hate to say this but if the partnership of Dom and Dunkley are the best in this division then with the display we have seen lately then god help the others. My grandson could pass a ball better, utter shambolic !!!  

• Like 1

We are going nowhere with those 2 as our pairing. Our distribution from the back is absolutely dreadful. We really need Hutch partnering Big Dom. Dom looks more assured when Hutch is next to him and Hutch gives us that ability to make passes out of defence. We are likely to see Hutch play more games at the back 2.

We then have a problem at CDM and I hope for Moore’s sake that Luongo gets fit and stays fit. 

10 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

According to their stats, Iorfa, Dunkley and Hutch are our best players. 

Dunkley played a blinder against Oxford, given the liability that Johnson was.

Heatmap for Dunkley and Oxford team:

image.png.ae70ac1f921c306290a07b6012e9be69.png

He was constantly filling the gap for Johnson. Here's where Johnson lost the ball:

image.png.833d193d91dd4be7f94d3bd9c927a23e.png

This is brilliant and really puts a cat amongst the pigeons to the ‘I know what my eyes see crowd’ that keep berating Dunkley yet his average rating each game is up there with our best players. 

Our problem isn’t our CB’s. That’s why they are rated 1, 2 and 3 of our top performing players this year. Any two of these three is a good Championship pairing let alone league 1. 

Our failings IMO are a static midfield that don’t create space to be passed to. That offer little  in terms of  defensive cover and they are often outplayed, out thought, out fought and overrun. 

Compounded by fullbacks that are often the only spare player to pass to that have similarly little options and prone to mistakes and mishaps as they try and keep position. 

3 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Our failings IMO are a static midfield that don’t create space to be passed to. That offer little  in terms of  defensive cover and they are often outplayed, out thought, out fought and overrun. 

Compounded by fullbacks that are often the only spare player to pass to that have similarly little options and prone to mistakes and mishaps as they try and keep position. 

If you watch the Oxford game, there were massive gaps between these two and the rest of the team. They were winning headers and clearing all over the back line but nobody was winning the second ball, so it was coming straight back at them.

It's not so bad at right back, Palmer seems to be doing OK, but Johnson is being targeted and found wanting.

We really miss Hutch, Luongo or Byers  in that gap to pick up the stray balls.

Wing has played there the last 3 games and is low key growing into the role, still making mistakes but getting better, struggled without Hutch covering him last game but still getting better. At least putting him there shows that DM has identified the problem and is trying to deal with it.

If Bannan can be disciplined enough to fill that gap he could be the best in the league with his skill set.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Feel sorry for them tbh, neither of them are ball playing centre backs yet DM is sticking with that style of play? You can't drill that into two players who have been playing for 5 years, having the composure and ability to pick a pass as a centre back is a hard skill especially in league 1, you can either play out from the back as a centre back or you can't, and i'm sure the both of them would admit it's not their game, yet DM is sticking with it and really exposing both of them on their distribution