Berahino Interview with Rio

15 hours ago, fpowl said:

I’ll not be surprised or moan 

As redknapp said when he signed do Camio from us for West Ham 

“I don’t care what anyone says I’ve signed a f&@king genius” went on to be a West Ham legend 

we’re a league one club this could be an obscene player for us on the pitch 

it’s what I pay my money for to see it in the pitch 

I’ve 0 influence on wages, dressing room, personalities, professionalism and I trust those that do to manage that 

so have we signed a player of quality at this level 

I’d like to think yes 

Di Canio pushed a referee though and it wasn’t even that bad 

Guest LondonOwl313
4 hours ago, Plonk said:

Except of course when he walked out Celtic, and went back to Italy, oh yeah and when he walked out on us and went back to Italy. I love DiCanio, but let’s not try and rewrite history. 

What’s that got to do with how he applies himself in training and on the pitch

This is a good listen. I urge fans to listen to it. 

Darren Fletcher gives him a particularly good character reference. 

It seems he really thrived when playing in a team of role models and father figures. He should have that with Moore and hopefully the good feeling and team spirit. 

He clearly really struggled at Stoke in a negative environment. Plus the media ruined him with stories, gossip and lies. He clearly didn't reapond well to this and did some silly things but he does really seem to be a good lad. 

I am extremely happy about his signing.

Some people drink and drive all the time and don't get caught,

(drinking and driving or under the influence of drugs whilst driving is not acceptable)

others get caught, it happens.

I don't accept his reputation as a bad influence in the changing room,

if your face don't fit you will be castigated more than others.

He comes across as someone I know very well, had the same upbringing as other family members

but spent a lot of time in trouble and going to prison for a number of years, it happens, hoping that his

past misdemeanour's are in the past.

WELCOME TO SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

SAIDO BERAHINO

And good luck.

18 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

When I was 21/22, I was not an absolute tail.  Nope.  Not me!  I was a saint, I did everything by the book and didn't get into any trouble whatsoever.  I certainly didn't get arrested, or nearly die in a stupid drunken accident in a hotel in Bali.  

I'd like to think we can all say the same.

Welcome Saido.  💙

I agree except for Bali read Ripley

2 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Glen Johnson was pretty scathing in his view on him.

Saido Berahino appeared to have vendetta against Stoke and his attitude was terrible, says Glen Johnson (talksport.com)

Link

https://talksport.com/football/efl/584071/saido-berahino-vendetta-stoke-attitude-glen-johnson/

15 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Glen Johnson was pretty scathing in his view on him.

Saido Berahino appeared to have vendetta against Stoke and his attitude was terrible, says Glen Johnson (talksport.com)

Talks about this in the interview. Not sure if you’ve listened to it, well worth a listen.

Weren't Stoke in a mess when he was there though? And this is where all their troubles started?

Can't pin all that on Berahino. 

His personal choices outside of football you cannot defend, you just have to hope he has grown up, put it all behind him and ready to really give his all.

A lot of people in the football world are saying the same thing - This signing is either going to be a disaster or masterstroke. I'm excited to see which way it goes!

9 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Has their ever been a case in the history of football where someone from a troubled past has put his antics to one side and actually turned a new leaf? 

Only one that immediately comes to mind is Troy Deeney 

There are loads of examples of players with troubled pasts overcoming adversity and being as good a footballer as they were before. A few off the top of my head:

Eric Cantona

Danny Simpson

Lee Hughes

Jamie Lawrence

Jan Molby

Luke McCormick

Jermaine Pennant

Vinnie Jones

Dennis Wise

Duncan Ferguson

Patrick Kluivert

Diego Maradona

Luis Suarez

Paul Gascoigne

Paul McGrath

Craig Bellamy

Tony Adams

There's a big difference in ability between some of these, and some of them (i.e. Gazza) never really got over off-pitch demons but continued to perform on it - e.g. in Euro 96, whereas others became club legends - e.g. Cantona at Man U, Wise at Chelsea, McGrath at Villa/Ireland. And with some it was patterns of behaviour, others it was one-off terrible things.

To a lesser extent you could argue some ex-Wednesday players like Terry Curran, John Sheridan, were considered troubled or unruly and bombed out of clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1