Rate our Summer Recruitment out of 10

Rate our Summer Recruitment out of 10  

271 members have voted

1. 1. How good do you think Sheffield Wednesday's recruitment has been this summer?

It's been much better than expected, and about as well as we could have done under the constraints.

The question is hard to answer though until we see how well the team plays though.

Still, it's a solid 7/8 out of 10 on paper.   If I was being ultra picky, I would add another stiker.

8/10

Given the shape the club was in, Moore has done well to attract promising players to join us and create something this season.

That said, on paper it looks good, all about what they can produce as a team. I have confidence, I just hope that if we do have a slow start, we stick with long term plan. 

Edited by SwellOwl
:)

8/10

On paper, excellent work by the club this summer, especially given the financial restrictions imposed. If I was being greedy, I'd say another CB, but that would be the cherry on the icing, on the cake.

Whether that translates to performances on the grass, only time will tell, but can't ask.much  more from the club. Now down to the players and the coaches to make our quality count.

On that point, our next signing will be a coach, I suspect 

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

i'm in the 5 camp as some i havnt heard  of and most the others i havnt seen play ...... moore seems to have got together a mix of young and experienced players lets hope he can get them to gel with what we have left over from last season . 

A mix of youth and experience is what won it for Italy and we have our own Donnarumma in goal

5 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

I don't believe it could be bettered.

All signed on free's, a number of players dropping a division (some 2) to join. 

No prima donna's amongst them.

2nd part of your respons, no I do not believe we'll be posted by Christmas. 

Out of interest, if you don't rate the recruitment highly, what would you have done differently given the resources at our disposal? 

When did I say I didn’t rate the recruitment? Just trying to understand how people are giving 10s when that means perfection. 
For the record, I think the signings of Shodipo,  Wing & Adeniran are excellent. I think Corbeanu is well worth a punt and could be the most exciting acquisition. I worry about the signings of BPF, Hunt and Johnson because they’ve been deemed surplus to requirement by Bielsa, Pearson & Warnock who’s football brains I greatly admire. Gregory is about what I expected. Byers is unnecessary IMO, I would’ve rather seen FSB and Alex Hunt given a go. Kamberi Is a wild card. Brown, not for me.

Big pluses. We can all clearly see there is a plan & Moore clearly has the contacts and  reputation in the game. 
Big worry, Hunt, Gregory, Johnson won’t come cheap. Have we learned our lesson re senior pros on decent wages.

7/10

• Haha 1

Not many weeks ago we were in a state of utter despair, relegated, no cash, no wages, and not enough players for a tug-of-war team.

Somehow DM seems to have wrested control of signings from DC, which is his greatest achievement to date, and he has worked miracles on a very threadbare shoestring.

Out have gone a lot of overpaid underperformers and we've now got a cracking mix of old and new. Granted there will be some that won't make the grade but we should have enough of a squad to be serious contenders.

The change in mood over the last few weeks has been amazing, well done that man. Now let's get the job done.

13 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

When did I say I didn’t rate the recruitment? Just trying to understand how people are giving 10s when that means perfection. 
For the record, I think the signings of Shodipo,  Wing & Adeniran are excellent. I think Corbeanu is well worth a punt and could be the most exciting acquisition. I worry about the signings of BPF, Hunt and Johnson because they’ve been deemed surplus to requirement by Bielsa, Pearson & Warnock who’s football brains I greatly admire. Gregory is about what I expected. Byers is unnecessary IMO, I would’ve rather seen FSB and Alex Hunt given a go. Kamberi Is a wild card. Brown, not for me.

Big pluses. We can all clearly see there is a plan & Moore clearly has the contacts and  reputation in the game. 
Big worry, Hunt, Gregory, Johnson won’t come cheap. Have we learned our lesson re senior pros on decent wages.

7/10

You're a bit defensive dude - check my post as to where I said we'd be promoted by Christmas (I didn't), but still answered your point.

I think we agree time will tell, it is all about whether 'most' come off, I just think there's a different vibe for us going after players with something to prove and willing to do it with us. 

You make some good points regarding the players brought in, lets hope we've got it right. 

My 10 is based purely on what we have to play with in terms of recruitment, 11 decent acquisitions based on us paying 0 in fees has to be good business.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WatfordOwl said:

You're a bit defensive dude - check my post as to where I said we'd be promoted by Christmas (I didn't), but still answered your point.

I think we agree time will tell, it is all about whether 'most' come off, I just think there's a different vibe for us going after players with something to prove and willing to do it with us. 

You make some good points regarding the players brought in, lets hope we've got it right. 

My 10 is based purely on what we have to play with in terms of recruitment, 11 decent acquisitions based on us paying 0 in fees has to be good business.

Fair play mate. Only time will tell and we’ll all still be here come what may

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

The biggest thing that I’ve been impressed with is the evident change in emphasis on who is in charge of recruitment 

We finally have given the manager the final say on whose been brought in and not overpaid rubbish who happens to be friends with an advisor

Can we bare this in mind if things don’t work out though?

And it is possible the maybe GM and Jo’s just made poor signings?

Guest Mcguigan

Quantity 9. With the restrictions on us, we needed squad members and we’ve got them.

Quality 6. Let’s see half a dozen games first and revisit.

Guest Mcguigan
2 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

No complaints at all. Youth and experience. 

This squad is far better than our squad from last season. 

You wouldn’t have Westwood, Shaw, Reach, Borner, Lees and Rhodes in your League 1 starting XI?

2 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

You wouldn’t have Westwood, Shaw, Reach, Borner, Lees and Rhodes in your League 1 starting XI?

Westwood, Borner and Rhodes are definitely a no from me. 

Reach and Lees are definitely a yes.

Shaw is 50/50.

This 'overall' squad is far more balanced and complete compared to the last few seasons IMO. 

Solid 8/10 

DM and Co havr the task of gelling a new team and we need to do this quickly.  DC has supported him.

BB saying how things have changed around the club, also DM saying certain practices have been stopped.

All bodes well for the future.  We have a good blend of potential and experience without the high cost of championship wages.

UTO

4 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

Exciting signings, especially given our position.

Very disappointing that we were pipped at the post on the Grealish deal though, DM slipped up there.

Aye, but Messi really isn't a bad second prize! 

:Chansiri:

On paper we now have a pretty decent squad for this level. For things to happen then most of the players need to perform to near their potential. Problem with the last lot was on paper they were decent enough but were mentally weak. Going one goal down was usually the end of the  match and rarely did we see any leadership to fight back. Think this turn of the handle will be the last for a chunk of our fan base. Fail miserably as we have lately and the divide between club and fans will widen. DM has been given the means to bring in and release what he wants so for me it is on him to succeed and get his players playing.

I'd have gone 10 but we let Urughide and Shaw get snapped up on frees and our 3 senior CB all have had major injuries. 

If we'd have still got those 2 our squad would be extremely balanced between attack and defense. As it stands we're an injury or suspension away from our backline resembling a chernobyl playground. 

That said am pretty ecstatic. 

38 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

without the high cost of championship wages.

This is a nagging worry for me. Hunt, Gregory. Johnson, Byers won’t have been cheap and we’re still carrying Bannan’s wedge plus the likes of Palmer, Luongo, Windass who will have accumulated a decent salary over their careers. I hope and pray we haven’t overstretched ourselves again.