Rate our Summer Recruitment out of 10

Rate our Summer Recruitment out of 10  

271 members have voted

1. 1. How good do you think Sheffield Wednesday's recruitment has been this summer?

What I wanted this summer was to get rid of the dead wood and bring in a lot of players who were younger and would improve us and themselves overtime. Mixed with a bit of experience.

So bannan hunt hutch iorfa dunks offer the experience 

Brown adeniran corbeanu  Byers wing  shodipo offer the youth energy enthusiasm.

Plus Johnson massimo Gregory palmer kamberi windass Green all good players for this level.

Spent no money compared to the millions wasted on over the hill wage takers we have signed in previous years.

For me he couldn't do any better with the current restrictions in play over recent months.

One thing I'm sure of we won't see the best of this team until we are well into the season hopefully end of November it clicks gives us a chance to build in the new year

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

I hope we review in 6 months with more positivity then the last summer, where tbf on the face of it, I thought Monk had made some decent buys, but this feels different. 

The balance in terms of age, position and options feels much better this yesr, and I rate Moore much better then the fraud last summer who was hated by all the clubs he left unlike our dazza

I agree, a lot on here were over the moon with the signings, turned out to be dog poo, don't know much about these

signings, at least we have recruited in the right areas which we didn't last

season.

• Like 1

I’m always reluctant to give 10 for anything so a 9 for me.  Given the situation a few weeks ago, with all the talk about not paying wages, followed by the threat of a point deduction if repeated DM has worked a miracle to persist many players to come here 

Now the work begins. Top 6 and that 9 will look miserly 

I've gone with 8.

It's not so long ago I was genuinely wondering who would sign for us considering our state, and I was worried about our reputation in the game - how players / agents would talk about us etc.

Something has clearly changed, and massive credit has to go to Moore, and also to Chansiri, as the club appears to be turning round. At the start of the summer, when asked how we'd do, I would have said 'absolutely no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if we go down again'. 

Now I'm thinking we can do top 10 as a minimum, and giddily hoping for a promotion challenge. Really looking forward to the season.

For that, Moore and Chansiri deserve a lot of credit. 

• Like 1

The fact that we had so many first team players leave at the end of last season, added to the alleged "no fee embargo" we are supposedly under, I've given this a cautious 8. Getting players in like Wing, Johnson and Gregory show that we still have pulling power. The fact the Hunt has returned shows perhaps that the club isn't quite in the turmoil we think it is. No thanks to the mess DC has left us in!

Peacock-Farrell is rated highly in the game, and it seems parent-club fans rate Corbeanu and Shodipo. Swansea fans rated Byers and Steven Gerrard likewise with Kamberi, so I think we have done well. It seems that Moore had either a list of players, or a brief of the kind of player he wanted, has had a major input to all signings, so all that remains is to see whether they all gel and do what Moore expects.

I'm sure some will excel beyond what we anticipated. Others will simply do what is expected and others will do an Abdi on us, but that's football. I hate to draw parallels to them across the wrong side of the city, but the team Wilder built wasn't world beaters with regards to skill. What they did have was the mental spirit and fight, the togetherness that's need and maybe this is what we have now started to build.

• Thanks 1

At least we're not left chewing our fingernails waiting for any scraps to come our way on Sky Sports news at 10.55pm on the last day of August while Jim White blathers away in his yellow tie.

We actually have a balanced looking squad for the start of a season for the first time since 1991. I'm not saying they are that good!.

The main thing is that DM can concentrate on the football side of things now, without the distraction of chasing round agents.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

The fact that we had so many first team players leave at the end of last season, added to the alleged "no fee embargo" we are supposedly under, I've given this a cautious 8. Getting players in like Wing, Johnson and Gregory show that we still have pulling power. The fact the Hunt has returned shows perhaps that the club isn't quite in the turmoil we think it is. No thanks to the mess DC has left us in!

Peacock-Farrell is rated highly in the game, and it seems parent-club fans rate Corbeanu and Shodipo. Swansea fans rated Byers and Steven Gerrard likewise with Kamberi, so I think we have done well. It seems that Moore had either a list of players, or a brief of the kind of player he wanted, has had a major input to all signings, so all that remains is to see whether they all gel and do what Moore expects.

I'm sure some will excel beyond what we anticipated. Others will simply do what is expected and others will do an Abdi on us, but that's football. I hate to draw parallels to them across the wrong side of the city, but the team Wilder built wasn't world beaters with regards to skill. What they did have was the mental spirit and fight, the togetherness that's need and maybe this is what we have now started to build.

Bang on smurf. Togetherness, the will to win, the desire to dig in on a Tuesday night, freezing cold in Portsmouth, this is what is important. Once you have that and you compete, it’s about that extra bit of quality. We have it with the likes of Bannan, Wing and Windass. If 3 or 4 others step up and deliver where the likes of Harris, Reach, Joey and others couldn’t, we can get automatic promotion.

• Like 1

I think we definitely have a squad capable of challenging at the top of this division. We have enough quality to rotate as well to deal with the tough slog of 46 games.

Unlike last season we should have the personnel to score the goals needed to win games and not rely on the defence as much. Obviously signings in their 30's like Hunt, Gregory and Johnson aren't going to be for the long term but the priority is to get out of this division at the first attempt.

Interestingly despite the new signings, our odds for promotion with BetFred have drifted out to 10/3 from 3/1. Sunderland are also out to 5/2 and Ipswich shortened to 15/8 favourites

5 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Bang on smurf. Togetherness, the will to win, the desire to dig in on a Tuesday night, freezing cold in Portsmouth, this is what is important. Once you have that and you compete, it’s about that extra bit of quality. We have it with the likes of Bannan, Wing and Windass. If 3 or 4 others step up and deliver where the likes of Harris, Reach, Joey and others couldn’t, we can get automatic promotion.

Before the recruitment, honestly, I would have taken anything above relegation - which was highly unlikely. If I was in charge of a football club like Wednesday, a football brain and mental toughness would rank higher than out-and-out skill. Skill you can teach and nurture, but that mental ability comes from within and is quite possibly develeoped within a person at time before they can even kick a ball.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog that will win.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WatfordOwl said:

Not felt as optimnistic under DC's reign since the 1st season we had Carlos.

Genuinely feels like a turning point in the way the club is moving. 

Lets get behind each and every one of these new signings and show them what Wednesday is made of. 

An absolutely fantastic summer of activity, let's hope it gels on the pitch! 

Well done DM & DC.

So just to be clear, on a scale of 1 - 10, presumably 10 is perfect, could not be bettered? That’s some statement. We should be promoted by Christmas if you’re correct. 

8 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

So just to be clear, on a scale of 1 - 10, presumably 10 is perfect, could not be bettered? That’s some statement. We should be promoted by Christmas if you’re correct. 

I don't believe it could be bettered.

All signed on free's, a number of players dropping a division (some 2) to join. 

No prima donna's amongst them.

2nd part of your respons, no I do not believe we'll be posted by Christmas. 

Out of interest, if you don't rate the recruitment highly, what would you have done differently given the resources at our disposal? 

Gone with 9. Been surprised with business we’ve done. Expected the business we did early on to be how this transfer window went. To get in experienced championship players like Wing, Johnson and Gregory has gotten me quite positive.

Here’s hoping to the pieces all fitting together nicely.

I remember when we got relegated to this division last time, signing the lols of Teale, Sedgwick and Clinton Morrison (all from a higher level) and thinking we’d done well to get them here.

I remember last season there were lots on here banging on about how great our transfers were too.

On paper we’ve made some good signings but I’ll reserve judgement for now.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Overall excellent. Amazed we’ve signed 11 players and some good ones in there too. Just hope Chansiri can actually afford to pay them!!