All kicking off at Derby

36 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

That's certainly the spin the Derby chairman has been trying to put on it.

In reality the EFL has been very clear exactly how much they are allowed to spend on players wages (£4,500 per week, free transfers and loans only) and how many they are able to sign (a senior squad of 22 players), and Derby have chosen not to accept it and launch endless futile appeals and 'requests for clarification'.

It was Nixon who reported this to be the situation. If, as you say, it was crystal clear then Derby will have to go with younger players or sign up some of their many trialists in the next hour or so. Whatever the truth of this, they appear to be in a right mess and, despite avoiding relegation, are arguably worse off than ourselves. 

6 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

It was Nixon who reported this to be the situation. If, as you say, it was crystal clear then Derby will have to go with younger players or sign up some of their many trialists in the next hour or so. Whatever the truth of this, they appear to be in a right mess and, despite avoiding relegation, are arguably worse off than ourselves. 

Presumably those trialists have been told that they will be getting more than 4.5k per week just as soon as the EFL caves in or they would have been able to sign (some of) them already.

Morris seems determined that he's going to win this game of chicken (or at least be able to use it as an excuse not to actually spend any money in the hope that a buyer will come along in the meantime).

I think the best thing you can say about Chansiri is that at least he appears to have accepted reality and allowed the manager to make the best of a bad situation by bringing in the best players he can given the restrictions we are under.

Assuming Morris isn't just playing for time to avoid spending any more money before the club is sold, he appears determined to continue to fight the authorities.

If they had just cracked on and accepted their punishment, they could easily have built a team with a good chance of staying up with loans and low-wage freebies.  The players Moore has brought in are easily better than the collection of last-chance-saloon types and 38-year-old 'big names' looking for a last payday that are currently hanging around at Derby.

• Like 1

It’s quite scary ( for them) when you look at the players they’ve got on trial.  Even if they can sign them I don’t hold out much hope for them. Plus they have already got a suspended deduction, with an almost inevitable one coming when the accounts are finally submitted, without even considering the twelve for admin. They could be relegated by the end of the month the way this is panning out. 

And once again it’s the fans that suffer. 

18 minutes ago, Plonk said:

It’s quite scary ( for them) when you look at the players they’ve got on trial.  Even if they can sign them I don’t hold out much hope for them. Plus they have already got a suspended deduction, with an almost inevitable one coming when the accounts are finally submitted, without even considering the twelve for admin. They could be relegated by the end of the month the way this is panning out. 

There hasn’t been any audited accounts for 2 financial years now plus I think the last lot need two doing. It’s a mess

Add into the mix missed salaries and I also believe I’ve read there is a backdated tax bill in amongst all of this it looks like it’s all about to come crashing down 

Very sad and I’ll echo what has already been said it’s the fans who suffer

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan
2 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

There hasn’t been any audited accounts for 2 financial years now plus I think the last lot need two doing. It’s a mess

Add into the mix missed salaries and I also believe I’ve read there is a backdated tax bill in amongst all of this it looks like it’s all about to come crashing down 

Very sad and I’ll echo what has already been said it’s the fans who suffer

The fans wouldn't have given two hoots if they had got promoted via the playoffs in 18/19. It wasn't like the signs weren't there, it's just they chose not to see them.

36 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Oh well

8 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Nixon saying they’ve managed to agree deals with Curtis Davies, goalkeeper Ryan Allsop and one other.

Ravel Morrison has unfollowed the club on social media so presume he isn’t up for the circus.

Richard Stearman is the other

They now have 3 keepers in the squad 

If you want to know exactly what has happened at Derby, and why they are where they are with regards to the EFL, I will break this down for you - as simply as is possible because it is quite complex. For any Accountants, I understand this is related to FRS 102 (I'm not an Accountant).

Mel Morris basically made his fortune by firstly selling the website uDate and then selling King software, who made the Candy Crush saga, to Activision|Blizzard,. He pocketed around £470M for these two takeovers. In 2015 he increased his 22% share in DCFC and took over shortly after. Since then, he has spunked around £200M on big name players and managers. That's not say DCFC are out of pocket for that amount, but probably close.

Like all financially struggling clubs, something had to be done. What DCFC/MM did was to change the way they reported the amortisation of their players. Amortisation is easiest explained like this. If a player is bought for £4M on a 4 year contract, rather than £4M going out of that years accounts, the value of the player is divided by the contract length. So 4/4 is 1, and therefore £1M per season, for 4 seasons is applied to the accounts. You are essentially reducing the value of the player, like reducing the value of a car as it gets older.

What DCFC did was to not reduce the value of the player until the 3rd season, claiming, in their eyes, that the players value - as an asset - hadn't reduced over the first 2 seasons. There is nothing illegal in this, but it is bending the rules to almost breaking point.

Realising this wasn't enough to stop them sliding beyond the £39M ceiling, they legally sold their ground to a new company owned by MM. MM paid £80M for the ground, £40M above its value and £70M above its resale value.

The EFL then caught up with DCFC regarding the way they were reporting amortisation, and so DCFC then said "OMG! We've just found an extra £40M down the back of the sofa from the stadium sale. We valued it at £40M, but got paid £80M for it. Aren't we clever lucky"

And that is where DCFC are currently at. They have bent the rules to the point where they have absolutely p!ssed the EFL off. However, from what I know and understand, they haven't done anything illegal but have now tried it on three times, firstly with amortisation, secondly with the over-inflated stadium sale and then with the reduction of the stadium value and somehow finding an extra £40M to add to their accounts.

The big picture is that they are in financial peril. So are many clubs, but DCFC situation seems to be an extremely worrying one, especially for their fans.

The above is my understanding of what has happened. I am not claiming it is 100% accurate, but it's not far off if I do have anything wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7