All kicking off at Derby

Don’t know why but I have a similar vibe to 1990 when we were relegated from the old first division on goal difference. Derby were pivotal in our last day drama when they lost at home to Luton. We lost at home to Forest just as our last home game of last season was against Forest. Replace GD with point deduction and the relegations are eerily similar. Chuck in Derby getting relegated the following season finishing bottom. We all know what happened to us, replace the League Cup with the Papa Johns Trophy, no sponsors on the shirts, similar patterns on the home and away shirts and it smells like promotion? 😳

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Indeed, just like SWFC. But I think it’s impossible not to feel sorry for the supporters who trust the owners of the club to run it sensibly. We’ve seen here how we are very much at the mercy of a clueless egotist and the damage they can do.

Agree with this

8 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

EFL needs to introduce some legislation to expel football owners in situations like this, then there should be a situation similar to administration, but the administrators are actually there to find a new owner rather than wind down the club

So they expel an owner who has put millions in and can't get a buyer for the club who is paying for the day to day running costs? Administrators are there for exactly that reason as they get paid for more if they actually sell the club

The EFL are just not fit for purpose. I know Derby sent us down and Rooney isn't everybody's favourite, but you do feel that Derby are being screwed over by the EFL who seem very vindictive.  Decisions about wages and players ought to have been made weeks ago.

Edited by Beauchief Owl
  • Like 1

Guest T Hardy
2 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Agree with this

So they expel an owner who has put millions in and can't get a buyer for the club who is paying for the day to day running costs? Administrators are there for exactly that reason as they get paid for more if they actually sell the club

Are you sure about that? I worked for a company that went into administration and closed down 3 years ago. I spoke to a couple of parties who met with the administrators with the intention to buy, and they said it was clear they were trying to sell all the assets they can and weren’t really interested in finding a buyer. I got a little bit of compensation months later and saw a breakdown of where all the money went, ‘Administrator fees’ were in the region of £2m, the general consensus was they get their fees no matter what happens 

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

Indeed, just like SWFC. But I think it’s impossible not to feel sorry for the supporters who trust the owners of the club to run it sensibly. We’ve seen here how we are very much at the mercy of a clueless egotist and the damage they can do.

If Derby stayed up at our expense, completed a successful takeover this summer and kicked on to promotion next year, they wouldn't have given us a second thought.

At the risk of sounding petty.. I think a lot of this "impossible not to feel sorry for" stuff is a load of fluff. We all agree the game is fundamentally broken but the situations at Portsmouth and Bolton have never been anything more than a passing thought to everybody else. Our last two decades have either been laughed at or mostly ignored by the wider community and other fans. Derby in particular have contributed to that directly. They've mocked us before for the 3-3 game in 2000 that near enough sent us down, and they'd have been lauding it for doing it again on the last day last season if it was a full house. 

Derby will probably get relegated and may spend a few years languishing in League One and below Forest. It's not the end of the world and you could argue they're just about due a spell like that, having avoided the same fate that near enough all their similarly sized Championship rivals have suffered instead over recent years. It would be nice if the wider game sorted itself out and situations like this didn't exist, but quite frankly my only priority is Wednesday. After all, we're not Derby's or anybody else's. Good luck to Derby but I don't feel for their fans. 

Edited by sheffield_dave
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

EFL needs to introduce some legislation to expel football owners in situations like this, then there should be a situation similar to administration, but the administrators are actually there to find a new owner rather than wind down the club

Agreed. Owners who’s actions are that of someone deemed not fit to run a club should be binned. 

6 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Are you sure about that? I worked for a company that went into administration and closed down 3 years ago. I spoke to a couple of parties who met with the administrators with the intention to buy, and they said it was clear they were trying to sell all the assets they can and weren’t really interested in finding a buyer. I got a little bit of compensation months later and saw a breakdown of where all the money went, ‘Administrator fees’ were in the region of £2m, the general consensus was they get their fees no matter what happens 

Companies are somewhat different to a football club. Look at Wigan, Rangers, and the rest. Administrators will always get paid more for selling a company than liquidating and asset selling

4 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

If Derby stayed up at our expense, completed a successful takeover this summer and kicked on to promotion next year, they wouldn't have given us a second thought.

This is similiar to the reason why I still have a lot of bitterness towards Crystal Palace. Granted, we probably deserved to go down that season, but Palace broke the rules and got away with it on the basis that the punishment wasnt harsh enough. We went down and they kicked on and got promoted.

Doubt anyone at Palace gives us a second thought either.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

I dont get why Rooney hasn't left yet

Nothing in it for him. Hardly needs the money does he. Jump ship and run. 

What other club is going to touch Rooney with his 1 win in about the last 16 matches.

• Haha 2