ENGLAND vs DENMARK - Semi Final - Official Matchday Thread

1 hour ago, Joe Sunburn said:

ENG 3 - 2 DEN in a thriller. 

No chance, this England teams don't do thrillers.

Methodical, efficient, no nonsense approach, maybe a bit boring?.

2-0 England in 90 mins!

No drama, no tension no what ifs!

Guest Mcguigan
7 hours ago, new zealand owl said:

This game can't come quick enough. What a great distraction from the mess of SWFC right now. 

Feels like Denmark are the new Sweden in terms of bogey teams. At least we put that to bed in 2018 and here's hoping we do the same on Wednesday.

Really can't make out how good Denmark are, I've been impressed with them so far and they are 10th in the world rankings. Will be a stern test but back us to scrape through.

Come on England!!!! 

2-1 Kane x2. I think Grealish may well start the game and inevitably have a hand in at least one of the goals.

Grealish won’t start, imo.

He may not even get on at all again.

ive fell asleep watching 2 of the england games , 1 of them i even tried a few drinks made it till 85th min . southgate you cant fault him he has adapted tactics best to win games defo not pleasing on the eye though so id imagine the neutrals would be snoring there heads off. 

Danes looked leggy towards the end of their match and if the Czechs had a bit more quality in the final third it could have been difficult.

The emotion and effort etc may be catching up with them whereas we look reasonably fresh.

As long as Southgate sets us up right and there is enough attacking mentality we should have enough.  

But it will be tight and could all so easily go wrong ..

Been with Italy to win all along and still the faves IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SwellOwl said:

Just to make a final would be a first for many fans. Job to do on Wednesday but the opportunity is there for the taking.

Cant bloody wait!

If we make the final you feel we have to win it.

Our record in these Championships is abysmal and it could be a long time before we have this sort of chance again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

If we make the final you feel we have to win it.

Our record in these Championships is abysmal and it could be a long time before we have this sort of chance again.

Italy are strong and will be an almighty test. The way we are playing though, it should be a great contest. 

• Like 1

The positives for me with the current England team:

• Great defensively
  • Keeper on top form
  • Kane getting into his stride
  • Sterling defying the critics (I was one)
  • Fantastic team spirit
  • Strength in depth 
  • The ball retention and movement is some of the best I've seen from an England side

Add to this Denmark seem to be playing on adrenaline and the awful Christian Eriksen incident, if we don't underestimate them I can see nothing more than a place in the final.

Just now, toppOwl said:

• Great defensively
  • Keeper on top form
  • Fantastic team spirit
  • Strength in depth 
  • The ball retention and movement is some of the best I've seen from an England side

Add to this Denmark seem to be playing on adrenaline and the awful Christian Eriksen incident, if we don't underestimate them I can see nothing more than a place in the final.

Sorry that should say "after the Christian Eriksen incident".

17 hours ago, mozzy85 said:

Out of curiosity if we do beat Denmark who are people wanting in the final. myself think we'd have a better chance of beating spain but thinking about Italys aging defence and the speed of sterling, sako, Sancho seems like it could be a good match up. 

easy pal, long way to go yet.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, toppOwl said:

• Great defensively
  • Keeper on top form
  • Fantastic team spirit
  • Strength in depth 

List Denmark's positives, surely it's not just adrenaline though I do think that has helped them but in there own right they are a decent team and beat England at Wembley not so long ago.

Going to be a tough game for both sides.

Let's be perfectly honest, we haven't played a really good team yet in this tournament. Like in the World Cup, and we couldn't have had an easier route to the semis if Southgate had picked it himself, although I suppose he would have dodged Germany this time if given the chance. 

This will be a huge test. Denmark are comfortably the 2nd best team left in the competition, after Italy, so I expect us to be tested and spend long periods not in control of the game, which is something that hasn't happened so far against weaker opponents.

If the defence stay as solid as they have, then we might scrape it by the odd goal, but I do feel that we have got a Pickford flap, or an unlucky red card awaiting us at some point.

Hoping for a dogged 1-0, but expect a draw after 90 minutes, with the lottery of extra time.

Edited by Sheff74
  • Like 2