ENGLAND vs DENMARK - Semi Final - Official Matchday Thread

2 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

Let's be perfectly honest, we haven't played a really good team yet in this tournament. Like in the World Cup, and we couldn't have had an easier route to the semis if Southgate had picked it himself, although I suppose he would have dodged Germany this time if given the chance. 

This will be a huge test. Denmark are comfortably the 2nd best team left in the competition, after Italy, so I expect us to be tested and spend long periods not in control of the game, which is something that hasn't happened so far against weaker opponents.

If the defence stay as solid as they have, then we might scrape it by the odd goal, but I do feel that we have got a Pickford flap, or an unlucky red card awaiting us at some point.

Hoping for a dogged 1-0, but expect a draw after 90 minutes, with the lottery of extra time.

I'm with you on this one

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

33 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

Let's be perfectly honest, we haven't played a really good team yet in this tournament. Like in the World Cup, and we couldn't have had an easier route to the semis if Southgate had picked it himself, although I suppose he would have dodged Germany this time if given the chance. 

This will be a huge test. Denmark are comfortably the 2nd best team left in the competition, after Italy, so I expect us to be tested and spend long periods not in control of the game, which is something that hasn't happened so far against weaker opponents.

If the defence stay as solid as they have, then we might scrape it by the odd goal, but I do feel that we have got a Pickford flap, or an unlucky red card awaiting us at some point.

Hoping for a dogged 1-0, but expect a draw after 90 minutes, with the lottery of extra time.

I think that is a bit harsh. 

Who has Denmark beaten for you to be confident that they are the 2nd best team left in the competition?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheff74 said:

Disagree on this one. 

We haven't conceded and have controlled games. Been boring but it has been professional. 

Played Croatia - WC runners up

Czechs - had a good tournament and it could have easily been them in the semis - they knocked out Netherlands

Germany - always a good tournament team - have a lot of quality

3/5 games were difficult. Could argue Scotland is difficult as different animal but not on paper. 

Denmark will be tough but no more difficult to navigate than Germany/ Czech or Croatia.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

Who has Denmark beaten for you to be confident that they are the 2nd best team left in the competition?

Czechs (we beat), Wales and Russia.

Remember in the group stage, Denmark Played 3, Lost 2, Won 1 but still qualified in second place on goal difference.  How can a team that loses 66% of its games finish second?  Crazy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheff74 said:

You think Denmark are the 2nd best side left? They barely got out of their group. People quick to say we’ve not played a decent side but ignoring we hadn’t beaten Germany in a million years. Who has Denmark played who are decent? They played Belgium and got beat. 

19 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Czechs (we beat), Wales and Russia.

Remember in the group stage, Denmark Played 3, Lost 2, Won 1 but still qualified in second place on goal difference.  How can a team that loses 66% of its games finish second?  Crazy.

With you on that one.

1 hour ago, SwellOwl said:

They Narrowly lost to the worlds number 1 ranked team, before demolishing an admittedly poor Russia, then doing the same to a very decent Wales team, who barley got a touch of the ball. The Czechs were no pushovers and they did the job. I am ignoring the Finland result for (what I am sure we can both agree) are understandable reasons, considering what had happened earlier in the day.

Also, based on their style of play, energetic and stylish from back to front.  

I am not saying England are crap, far from it,  just that our style is more functional, and I don't think we have been truly tested yet. Whether that is down to us not letting teams test us is debatable. 

So based on the teams left, I would rank us 3rd, ahead of Spain.  All about opinions though.

52 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

You think Denmark are the 2nd best side left? They barely got out of their group. People quick to say we’ve not played a decent side but ignoring we hadn’t beaten Germany in a million years. Who has Denmark played who are decent? They played Belgium and got beat. 

See my post above. Belgium are currently ranked as the best team in the world (or were before the tournament) so losing 2-1 is hardly a disgrace.

The Finland result should be utterly disregarded, considering earlier events.

Russia crap, hammered.  Wales decent, hammered. Czechs decent, beat.

Then from our results, yes beating Germany is great, but that is probably the 2nd worse German side I have ever seen in a tournament.

We were poo against Scotland, not great against Croatia, then hammered Ukraine, who were half decent.

Having watched every one of the above games, I absolutely think Denmark have had a tougher run of it and are certainly a better team to watch.

28 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

They Narrowly lost to the worlds number 1 ranked team, before demolishing an admittedly poor Russia, then doing the same to a very decent Wales team, who barley got a touch of the ball. The Czechs were no pushovers and they did the job. I am ignoring the Finland result for (what I am sure we can both agree) are understandable reasons, considering what had happened earlier in the day.

Also, based on their style of play, energetic and stylish from back to front.  

I am not saying England are crap, far from it,  just that our style is more functional, and I don't think we have been truly tested yet. Whether that is down to us not letting teams test us is debatable. 

So based on the teams left, I would rank us 3rd, ahead of Spain.  All about opinions though.

Fair enough and it is all about opinions. That said, Germany are a better team than Wales and we also beat Czech Rep. I believe we are the better team and should be favourites for the game but it will be a close contest. A nervy one for all fans!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

List Denmark's positives, surely it's not just adrenaline though I do think that has helped them but in there own right they are a decent team and beat England at Wembley not so long ago.

Going to be a tough game for both sides.

I'm not underestimating them, I just think on current form we'll have too much for them, they're a team I'd like to see win the tournament should England not.

12 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

I'm not underestimating them, I just think on current form we'll have too much for them, they're a team I'd like to see win the tournament should England not.

Yup if they knock us out they'll have my support

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, owls maniac said:

They’d have comfortably got out the group were it not for the Erickson incident.. they should have been a couple of goals up by half time against Finland.

But I think they’re the weakest team left.. wouldn’t take any of their players, maybe Schmeichal but Pickford has been on fire. Their midfield has the likes of Hojberg who doesn’t do much for Spurs 

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

They’d have comfortably got out the group were it not for the Erickson incident.. they should have been a couple of goals up by half time against Finland.

That’s guesswork tbh. They haven’t impressed me in any games apart from Russia.

Braithwate will cause problems, but they aren’t any better than Germany or Croatia that’s for sure. With the momentum we have, and 60k behind us we need to be getting through this. An early goal will settle the nerves, and we seem to be good at getting them this tournament