ENGLAND vs DENMARK - Semi Final - Official Matchday Thread

We should win tonight. On paper we're the stronger squad and we are in form. We know that can often count for little, but I'm confident and enjoying the buildup. 

What I don't enjoy is how some fans and pundits rewrite the script once we've won a game. Croatia were world Cup finalists and a tricky opener before we won, then they were suddenly shadows of their last squad and we'd face tougher tests. Scotland were the auld enemy who had the desire to beat us until we drew, then they were a Sunday league pub team that we couldn't beat and we'd face far tougher tests. Czechs had danger all over the park until we won then they were just also rans who had never done anything and any team in the world should have won that one, and we'd face tougher tests. Germany? World football powerhouses who always do well in tournaments and destroyed a very good Portuguese team. We win and suddenly they're the worst German side in living memory and they had an off day as well. Ukraine were no mugs, there on merit, pace and power blah blah blah. We annihilate em and they're a league 1 side who can't defend. 

Maybe,just maybe, this England squad is making these teams look bad. Maybe we are the ones who are winning rather than coming up against teams who are losing. It could be a defence mechanism type thing but it's bloody annoying. Get on board, enjoy the ride and if it all comes crashing down then that's the way she goes. 

It's time to start enjoying our football surely. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, latemodelchild said:

We should win tonight. On paper we're the stronger squad and we are in form. We know that can often count for little, but I'm confident and enjoying the buildup. 

What I don't enjoy is how some fans and pundits rewrite the script once we've won a game. Croatia were world Cup finalists and a tricky opener before we won, then they were suddenly shadows of their last squad and we'd face tougher tests. Scotland were the auld enemy who had the desire to beat us until we drew, then they were a Sunday league pub team that we couldn't beat and we'd face far tougher tests. Czechs had danger all over the park until we won then they were just also rans who had never done anything and any team in the world should have won that one, and we'd face tougher tests. Germany? World football powerhouses who always do well in tournaments and destroyed a very good Portuguese team. We win and suddenly they're the worst German side in living memory and they had an off day as well. Ukraine were no mugs, there on merit, pace and power blah blah blah. We annihilate em and they're a league 1 side who can't defend. 

Maybe,just maybe, this England squad is making these teams look bad. Maybe we are the ones who are winning rather than coming up against teams who are losing. It could be a defence mechanism type thing but it's bloody annoying. Get on board, enjoy the ride and if it all comes crashing down then that's the way she goes. 

It's time to start enjoying our football surely. 

Well said.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

I haven't had a high opinion of Denmark from the beginning of the tournament but they're here near the death so they've got something.

I'm not a flag waver usually but England easily look the strongest team now that we've virtually seen the tournament play out.

I can't see a weakness that Denmark or Italy can exploit.

Can you?

You think we look stronger than Spain or Italy? 

Tournament football is always a bit unpredictable but I feel good about tonight. Denmark are an ok side but England is a genuinely good side. England’s strength is the lack of reliance on individuals (with the exception of Kane). I’ve never seen an England side with so many options on the bench. The format with 5 subs works in our favour with so much strength in depth. I think it will be similar to the Germany game. Fairly close until later in the game but we just keep bringing fresh legs on until we score. 
2-0 England. 

• Love 1

I think England will win comfortably 2-0 tonight. We are a daunting team to play against at the minute, we never look like conceding (apart from that Muller chance) and being at home, in front of 65,000 at Wembley will bring the win. We have strength in depth all over the pitch but the thing that will probably win the game for us, is the fact we have players like Henderson, Sancho, Grealish and Foden sat on the bench to change the game if things aren't going right.

This is the deepest english pool of players i've ever seen. There is only France in the world that are churning out world class players at the minute. This England team are just very likeable. They seem to have such positivity and cohesion within the group which is completely alien to past England teams.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

but you could easily flip that. during the games social media is full of people despairing at how we are playing but that's soon forgotten and its suddenly coming home. We had the same in the World Cup, got past some easier teams than most and then shown up v the first decent team we played.

Croatia were well out of form (and my Croatian friends told me the same) Scotland is tricky for us as its their cup final and we struggled v them. Germany are never easy but they are blowing hot and cold at the moment and they should have made it 1-1. Ukraine have been running on empty after the previous game.

You can argue it both ways really. England in my mind have deserved to be where they are and though they looked very lethargic and void of attacking ideas they have beaten what's been put in front of them. They haven't in my mind shown anything to put fear into the other teams.

That said I think they might win tonight (50/50 for me) but I wouldn't be putting my house on them bringing it home. But I hope i'm wrong