SOUTHGATE OUT

I watched Spain last night and thought they were similar to us. Plenty of good players but with an attitude of we only have to turn up to win. Other teams like Italy have the skill but have a different attitude. They work to make things happen unlike us who just hope it will. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, markg said:

Don’t rate Southgate at all but it is impossible to win tournaments with the lack of quality we have at the back and in central defence. 

You don’t get anywhere near trophy’s with players like Declan rice in midfield 

3 of our potential back 4 were Champions League finalist. The other, who many feel is our best defender, was a Europa League finalist. 

The defence myth is exactly that, a myth. It’s an excuse nothing more. We have as good a squad as anybody in the tournament. The problem is our 3rd rate manager.

2 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

3 of our potential back 4 were Champions League finalist. The other, who many feel is our best defender, was a Europa League finalist. 

The defence myth is exactly that, a myth. It’s an excuse nothing more. We have as good a squad as anybody in the tournament. The problem is our 3rd rate manager.

That’s a good point about the defence mate yeah.

agree on Southgate too but I do think that you need at least one world class central midfielder to have a chance when you get to the knockout games against the big teams. The midfields of France, Italy, Portugal, Germany etc would destroy us 

15 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Put it this way: we shouldn't be worrying about our defence that much against Scotland, particularly when you've got two holding midfielders sat there. 

I just don't understand the approach on Friday night. 

You've got Stones and Mings protected by Philips and Rice. He switches out the fullbacks and you would think did so to offer more of a attacking threat in the wide areas and yet they barely got forward. In the end, we had six defenders on the pitch. Useless. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Put it this way: we shouldn't be worrying about our defence that much against Scotland, particularly when you've got two holding midfielders sat there. 

You've got Stones and Mings protected by Philips and Rice. He switches out the fullbacks and you would think did so to offer more of a attacking threat in the wide areas and yet they barely got forward. In the end, we had six defenders on the pitch. Useless. 

Yep. 
If you play 2 defensive midfielders then the full backs should be pushing right up 

44 minutes ago, SiJ said:

that was my issue

We played right into their hands with that formation

A back 6 against Scotland is just ridiculous

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 0wl18 said:

The defence isn't as bad as some make out but it isn't world class. Most people acknowledge we are strong at full-back. Yes Stones had a good season and was a Champions League finalist but the real strength at the heart of the city defence was Diaz. Man Utd did well in Europe but I am not sure many top clubs would be in the market for Maguire if he was available, Man Utd paid way over the odds for him. Mings has done OK in the 2 games but wouldn't get into many top nations teams.

Pickford has also done well so far but he isn't top class.

Our squad is not as good as France, that's for sure. 

However, the way we played against Scotland has nothing to do with the strength at the back. 

2 hours ago, scram said:

that was my issue

We played right into their hands with that formation

A back 6 against Scotland is just ridiculous

The restraint of the full backs was just pathetic.

James played the ball forward so many times and just stood and admired. It was obvious it was due to instruction. No intention to get around Sterling or even under lap. Movement creates space, we just stood still far too often.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Because of close contact with Gilmour! yet none of their players have to miss out?

Outrageous really

So i imagine they must have got together after the game or something?

But he's literally been with the Scotland players with weeks!

I think the question I would genuinely ask SouthGate is… why wouldn’t you pick our best attacking side and just tell the squad to go and put 5 past the Scots, and don’t worry if we concede 1?

seems obvious when you’re squad is so much better? Or am I missing something 

4 minutes ago, scram said:

So i imagine they must have got together after the game or something?

No mention of exactly what happened in the Southgate interview… it’s a disciplinary situation surely if it’s something unnecessary (?)

Are we just being very cautious after the whole Foden/Greenwood situation. Who knows.