SOUTHGATE OUT

If the press continue to hound Southgate, explanation number 2 will be rolled out.

Namely, Kane reads out a statement, The players are all agreed that the performance against Scotland was well below that of which is expected of an England team.

However, that is the fault of the players and not the manager ........blah blah ..................................... 🤮

Or

they’re exciting when you put multi million pound squads of players from all over the globe around them.

I get bored and lose my excitement looking at the team sheet, and the game goes how I expect. 

tf do you guys see when you look at that squad? 

this is hilarious 

Would it be fair to say that we won't be getting endless repeats of this clash like we do with the Euro 96 one? 

No dentist chair this time, though I did feel like I was under general anaesthetic watching it. 

27 minutes ago, Raminpeace said:

I don’t follow England that closely as they bore me shtless, but Scotland was a predictable low. we quality by beating useless teams and then usually fail against any country rated in the top 10.

we have some decent attacking players but they weren’t on the pitch. Grealish is wasted. He is head and shoulders above the rest. (Just a pity that he is a pillock, but he can play). Tammy Abrahams will always score goals but where is he? We were statuesque as Scotland passed it about and grew in confidence. There was no fire in our bellies. 

Amongst it all, not picking tammy Abraham is quite a remarkable thing to single out for criticism

11 hours ago, Taz said:

Whoever replaces Southgate will be worse. 

we just aren’t very good. You surround these average players with Agueros and they look amazing. The England side has never been better than any top half premier league side. 

of course we’ll get mullered by 8 or so teams in this competition. 

I have ZERO fkn idea what you lost expect out of our squad. 

for 20 years England have done naff all and have had a series of awful tournaments, or not even qualifying.

mcclaren

capello

Hodgson

the games against Iceland and algeria and the rest....

but nah nah, you lot, you geniuses, you football brainiacs have cracked it... it’s the bloke who took us to the World Cup final in 2018... that’s the problem.

lol

fk me 

why would these players be playing with ageuro if they weren't very good?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Would it be fair to say that we won't be getting endless repeats of this clash like we do with the Euro 96 one? 

No dentist chair this time, though I did feel like I was under general anaesthetic watching it. 

If you listen to the interviews this week all the players are kinda like 'it's just another game' I don't think they understood the importance. Kinda like when we played Sheff Utd a few seasons ago, forgot whether it was CC or JL that underplayed it all.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, scram said:

I understand that the main objective is to get through to the next round - so in that regard job done - and yes we can make yesterday just a blip in the road to glory

It's just so disappointing to see us so clueless, so out of shape regarding gameplan, looking so ponderous and lethargic - 2 DM's at home to one of the lowest rankled teams ever to get to the finals

So many good players looking a shadow of themselves - no expression, no intensity and no idea what their objective is

I've seen this film before

Too many times

Very true, it is frustrating to watch, said all throughout the build up to the tournament that 2 DM's was perhaps understandable in the tougher games but would be disappointing in the games we are expected to take control of. 

The players have to take some responsibility too though, yes a more attacking approach would have helped but to a man they were so flat, not one of them tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck or gee up his team mates and get us going. The lethargy of captain Kane rubbed off on the whole team and Sterling slowing the game down didn't help.

as you say we have seen this film way too many times before. We have nearly always had a decent crop of players that should be aiming quarter finals as par since I started watching football in the 80's but how often have we achieved. Most managers we have had have made decisions that have left the country frustrated.

In my time watching it started with Taylor refusing to pick the likes of Waddle and Beardsley even when other attacking options were injured, resulting in 3 boring displays at Euro 92 and failure to even qualify for World Cup 94.

Venables then did well but of course it was short lived, even then there were 2 and a half poor performances out of 5 games at Euro 96.

Hoddle had us playing decent football but in 98 we finished 2nd to Romania in our group.

Keegan failed

Sven had the 'golden generation' perhaps overhyped at times but a really good squad. He achieved 'par' in every tournament and was perhaps unlucky with key injuries and penalty shoot outs but still made debatable judgments, the failure to make use of the talents of Scholes in particular.

McLaren couldn't get us to a finals.

Capello, one of the worlds most renowned managers, led us to 4 really poor performances in South Africa.

Hodgson, relatively successful in club and international football, achieved par in 2012, had a disaster in 2014 and 2016. 

Southgate, made the most of a favourable draw in 2018, disappointing in the semi-final but at least we got there, we've previously been knocked out by worse teams than we beat in that competition. 

Just about every England manager & team I have seen has under performed, some way more than others, regardless of experience or stature. 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

It seemed like the team were the ones under anesthetic. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It seemed like the team were the ones under anesthetic. 

Indeed.

So lethargic throughout.

Bad with and without the ball. 

You can't play that sort of a midfield if you're not going to properly press and harry the opposition.

Edited by SiJ

15 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

As the game wore on, I found myself quietly hoping Scotland would win just so I could observe the meltdown online.

England just aren't that good, and our players are vastly overrated because they play alongside great players who make them look better.

Sorry but they're not vastly overrated

They don't play for the best club sides in the world as a favour to them

• Like 4

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

As the game wore on, I found myself quietly hoping Scotland would win just so I could observe the meltdown online.

England just aren't that good, and our players are vastly overrated because they play alongside great players who make them look better.

Phil Foden was arguably Man City's best player in the second half of last season. He has certainly moved ahead of Bernado Silva in the pecking order, Silva starts regularly for the current European Champions.

Sterling had a poor second half of the season but he been hugely well paid by Man City for many years and has repaid their faith. If Pep thought he was pap he could choose almost any player from around the world and could probably get him on less wages.

Harry Kane has been the sole reason Spurs have performed well at times, nobody in his club side is making him look better. 

Mount plays a key role for Chelsea. They changed managers mid season, the new coach wasn't sure about him at first but his performances made him undroppable for a club with plenty of resources. 

Our attacking players are good enough to overcome the likes of Scotland if used correctly and they apply themselves correctly. We played well against Croatia and very poorly last night. Lets hope it was a one-off, disappointing as it was to come against our near neighbours. Even the most successful nations rarely go through a tournament playing well in every game. 

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

why would these players be playing with ageuro if they weren't very good?

The same reason Harry maguire cost 70 or whatever million. 

cmon lads, you can’t all be this naive

theres a reason these players are at Man City and Man U yet you get all the best English lads in one team and they’re rubbish. 

let’s stop thinking these lads are world class. Where do you think France or Belgium would finish in the premier league? Top 3, England, 13th.

now did they play last night, as well as they can? No. Obviously. 

but let’s take some elements into account… 1. Derby type game, skews things, always has and always will. 2. They kept a clean sheet. 3. It just wasn’t our night. 4. We really aren’t that good, we aren’t better than Germany, Spain, France, Portugal, Holland, Belgium, Italy. 

Last night was like Everton drawing to Huddersfield in a cup game… happens all the time. 

also this having a go at Southgate about getting us through an easy World Cup, if that’s easy why couldn’t hodgson or capello get us beating the slew of teams we lost to in group games. 

having 4 points, 2 games into the group stage is a very high bar for an England manager in the last 25 years. A wc final is a VERY high bar for an England manager. 

I don’t even rate Southgate I just think this is ridiculous.

ALSO! 

on paper that England team should beat Scotland with no manager. I mean Jesus Christ. Seriously. 

the players bottled it, as they always do. 

southgate should be able to play 6 mid fielders, no striker and set them up to play for a 1-0 and they do it. 

It just wasn’t the players night. It’s about that simple. 

IF we don’t make it out the group, like we should, and if we go out in the knock outs to a team ranked below us… that’s when you look at replacing Southgate. 

Jesus

what is this thread 

19 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Who would people want to take over from Southgate?

Yeah, I've thought this a few times. 

Who is there? 

I don't think any of the current English managers would do any better to be brutally honest. We just don't produce top class managers and coaches imo. 

• Like 1