SOUTHGATE OUT

We have come a long way since the Roy Hodgson era.  We now have a very clear way of playing , based on defensive , possession based football with pace in the wide areas to create chances.  We pass back to the goalie much more than most teams, plenty of times we have had corners, corner headed clear and we go back to the goalie instead of crossing in again.  Means we havent been done on the counter attack and conceded though .

The manager deserves credit for his record of getting results. A semi and a quarter ( at least) in his two tournaments so far , and simple qualification, is excellent.  We are in the best shape as a national team since the high point of the Sven era.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

We have come a long way since the Roy Hodgson era.  We now have a very clear way of playing , based on defensive , possession based football with pace in the wide areas to create chances.  We pass back to the goalie much more than most teams, plenty of times we have had corners, corner headed clear and we go back to the goalie instead of crossing in again.  Means we havent been done on the counter attack and conceded though .

The manager deserves credit for his record of getting results. A semi and a quarter ( at least) in his two tournaments so far , and simple qualification, is excellent.  We are in the best shape as a national team since the high point of the Sven era.

Totally agree, Southgate has already surpassed svens record with arguably a slightly weaker and certainly younger squad. I said on the matchday thread that whoever gets the gig next is in for a good time. The mentality of playing  for England has totally changed and there's little fear in the squad   if we don't win this thing now it will be because we weren't quite good enough not because we have choked......fast forward to Sunday where we go down to 9 men and lose 3-1 to Ukraine!! 

On 18/06/2021 at 21:55, BIG D said:

Sh ite 

On 18/06/2021 at 22:00, fudge27 said:

England for too long have had managers who worry more about trying to be trendy and talk about stopping the oppositions passing lines and pressing smartly. 

We need someone who picks players who will be aggressive with the ball and without it. 

On 18/06/2021 at 22:00, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Very negative manager

We'll win nowt with him..

On 18/06/2021 at 22:06, FreshOwl said:

Should be forced to resign and never been in this position in the first place. 

nice guy blah blah but an absolute fraud 

On 18/06/2021 at 22:28, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Should get back to the pizza adverts...

On 18/06/2021 at 22:56, jonnyowl said:

Southgate will hold these talented players back.

Totally out of his depth.

On 18/06/2021 at 23:03, BIG D said:

Takes a special manager to make Foden, Mount, Sterling, Kane, Rashford and Grealish play with all the desire, intensity and desire of last seasons Wednesday.

On 19/06/2021 at 12:12, 0742 said:

If you listen to this, it gives a good insight in to Southgate's mindset, it really is all about not losing or dealing with losing. https://www.thehighperformancepodcast.com/episodes/gareth-southgate

How he set those players up last night was shocking, so boring and pointless. You see more aggression and penetration on eunuch pôrn.

Lol 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Taz said:

Lol 

As i said before

Football makes fools of all of us

We should be beating every team we have played so far (possible exception of an end-of-life Germany) - and we have so fair enough

But it can easily be undone 

It shouldn't be because we absolutely should beat Denmark

If we get to final and lose then we will have hit par because Italy are the outstanding team of the tournament and although not unbeatable it would be no shame to lose to them - but they still have to negotiate a very difficult game against Spain

Either in the final will be a very tough ask - and that will be the cutting edge of the game

What we have faced so far has been mediocrity in international football terms but we have done the job required

I honestly don't care as long as we win

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scram said:

As i said before

We should be beating every team we have played so far (possible exception of an end-of-life Germany) - and we have so fair enough

If we get to final and lose then we will have hit par because Italy are the outstanding team of the tournament and although not unbeatable it would be no shame to lose to them - but they still have to negotiate a very difficult game against Spain

Either in the final will be a very tough ask - and that will be the cutting edge of the game

What we have faced so far has been mediocrity in international football terms but we have done the job required

Honestly.

I just want us to win, and this thread going in the hall of fame will be a lovely bit of fun.

After the Scotland game, NOBODY saw this coming. But it’s still funny. 

5 minutes ago, Taz said:

Honestly.

I just want us to win, and this thread going in the hall of fame will be a lovely bit of fun.

After the Scotland game, NOBODY saw this coming. But it’s still funny. 

Don't care about egg-on-face nor humble pie - i just want us to win

I've said it plenty of times but my overriding ambition in football was to see England win the world cup - in my kiddies football-mad mind i was gonna captain England to winning the world cup - i probably won't get to captain England, hell, i might not ever get a game for them now...

But it still holds

I've been let down so many times when we were on the cusp of greatness so forgive my cynicism 

Up to this point Southgate has to be given credit and rightly so - for not just being a coach that has taken us to a position that we maybe felt was slipping away - but also (and i'll always think this of him regardless of football) is because he's a bloody decent human being

But as i said, football makes fools of all of us and this may have a very different complexion in the coming days

I'm even starting to believe

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scram said:

Don't care about egg-on-face nor humble pie - i just want us to win

I've said it plenty of times but my overriding ambition in football was to see England win the world cup - in my kiddies football-mad mind i was gonna captain England to winning the world cup - i probably won't get to captain England, hell, i might not ever get a game for them now...

But it still holds

I've been let down so many times when we were on the cusp of greatness so forgive my cynicism 

Up to this point Southgate has to be given credit and rightly so - for not just being a coach that has taken us to a position that we maybe felt was slipping away - but also (and i'll always think this of him regardless of football) is because he's a bloody decent human being

But as i said, football makes fools of all of us and this may have a very different complexion in the coming days

I'm even starting to believe

I know 

I can’t believe it’s THIS possible.

Win two games at Wembley for a trophy, one being Denmark. 

What I'm particularly surprised by is the amount of changes he's made each game while keeping our performances consistent.

Making two or three changes to the starting line up each time and even switching system for the Germany game sounds like the sort of thing that would end up in a post-tournament dissection of why England failed again, but it's working here. Maybe Southgate isn't a natural tactician but he's doing something right on that front.

• Like 1

Obviously if we lose to Denmark the haters will be back in their droves but let's just enjoy this.

Said it alot already but worth repeating that its clear for all to see that Southgate and his coaching team, with the support to the FA have a clear long term plan and that plan is starting to work.

God knows how much money the FA have wasted on previous long term plans and managers that have failed miserably but this time they are getting it right. To have two good tournaments in a row is no fluke despite what people say about lucky halves of the draw etc etc. 

On to Wednesday and 4th in the world plays 10th, it will be a really tight game but hoping a firing Kane will be the difference.

5 hours ago, scram said:

As i said before

I don't think any country in the world would think reaching a final in any major tournament would be hitting par, whether that is the World Cup, Euro's, the Copa or even the CONCACAF World cup, maybe Mexico would see it that way but that's by far the poorest tournament of the ones I mentioned.

• Like 1