SOUTHGATE OUT

17 minutes ago, scram said:

It's not necessary to act the clown in every thread you know

You probably never saw or don't remember Capello's AC Milan side - as close as it gets to football perfection - i'd rank them alongside Barca under Pep when they destroyed Man U at Wembley in the CL Final

Never in a million years did i think we'd get him as England manager 

What's Pep got left to achieve - success in Italy and then he's done it in the big 4 leagues 

He may fancy a stab at international manager - he knows enough about the English game and players and he knows that anybody that can get the group performing and winning a major tournament will be a national hero

As ever you never know until you ask

My guess is if we go foreign it'll be Mourinho - 10 years too late

If we stay English it'll be Gerrard - 5 years too early

How did that work out for us?!

WTF:

not great did it

But he had issues with a huge chasm between the players

But i think it was weak of him to let Terry get away with being such a disruptive influence

My point is that i think the England job is very attractive - as Fabio himself said when he took it on

I think we look at our group of players and look who would maybe get the best from them and play in a style that they benefit from

Alarm bells started ringing with Capello when there was talk of him trying to get Scholes out of retirement for the 2010 World Cup; Scholes having not played for England for several years. 

tbf, the so-called golden generation was beset by big egos, cliques and internal tension between the players at the top clubs; perfectly encapsulated by Terry's failed coup in South Africa. 

Edited by SiJ

13 minutes ago, scram said:

not great did it

But he had issues with a huge chasm between the players

But i think it was weak of him to let Terry get away with being such a disruptive influence

My point is that i think the England job is very attractive - as Fabio himself said when he took it on

I think we look at our group of players and look who would maybe get the best from them and play in a style that they benefit from

Was Capello aware of how toxic Terry was if he couldn’t speak the language well?

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Was Capello aware of how toxic Terry was if he couldn’t speak the language well?

Bizarrely, I think one of the reasons Capello left was because the FA made him strip Terry of the captaincy? 

Might be wrong on that. 

12 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yes he was fully aware

I loved Fabio but have to admit he lost the plot with us - the terry incident lost him a lot of respect among the players too

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

At least with Capello it showed the FA we’re trying.

McClaren, Hodgson, Southgate is comparable to Wednesday’s choices of managers. 

If we crash out of this tournament looking as pants as last night then Southgate has to go. 

Yet Hodgson and Southgate both achieved more than Capello with England. 

2 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

At least with Capello it showed the FA we’re trying.

McClaren, Hodgson, Southgate is comparable to Wednesday’s choices of managers. 

If we crash out of this tournament looking as pants as last night then Southgate has to go. 

They’re so snobby that they don’t want to be embarrassed by the manager. When they go on these functions they are worried about something showing them up. This is why they changed to the EFA as they were get snidey remarks about being the FA from their counterparts and they didn’t like it

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

They’re so snobby that they don’t want to be embarrassed by the manager. When they go on these functions they are worried about something showing them up. This is why they changed to the EFA as they were get snidey remarks about being the FA from their counterparts and they didn’t like it

When did they change to the EFA?

Never heard anyone call the FA the EFA and the website doesn't signify that either.

https://www.thefa.com/

56 minutes ago, scram said:

You probably never saw or don't remember Capello's AC Milan side - as close as it gets to football perfection - i'd rank them alongside Barca under Pep when they destroyed Man U at Wembley in the CL Final

What's Pep got left to achieve - success in Italy and then he's done it in the big 4 leagues 

He may fancy a stab at international manager - he knows enough about the English game and players and he knows that anybody that can get the group performing and winning a major tournament will be a national hero

I was expecting Lampard to be announce U21 manager when Boothroyd left.

Then be asked to take the main job when Southgate left.

The sort of PR transition the FA love

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

When did they change to the EFA?

Never heard anyone call the FA the EFA and the website doesn't signify that either.

https://www.thefa.com/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/12016/11677396/fa-plans-name-change-to-english-football-association Looks like they didn’t go through with it but that was the logic

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I credit the FA for appointing Capello, a man with pedigree, I’m not saying it went well (probably did for his bank balance though). 

Failing to succeed means you should get moved on, no matter who you are. 

This ‘safe option’ approach from the FA is achieving nothing. We want to win a trophy one day. 

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Capello did have some bad luck tbf - the terry debacle, losing Rooney and the Lampard goal that didn't stand at a pivotal point in the game

And his overall record was decent

I think his win ratio was one of the best - if not the best

I'm never gonna get on board with the last WC being some sort of triumph - i'm not going down that rabbit hole because we all know the context - and how we were overall in the tournament

I said it at the time (got negged to death when they were a thing) and i stand by it - losing to a mediocre Croatia in the semi final was not a triumph

Younger fans will look back on that as i do about Mexico 86 and Italia 90

Pep has said previously he sees himself managing at international level at some point.

I’d be happy with Antonio Conte too. Our squad is perfect for his wing back system. It all comes down to money. Not many clubs pay what the FA have been historically willing to pay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scram said:

losing to a mediocre Croatia in the semi final was not a triumph

I recall him not changing anything when we were being dominated in midfield… last night GS didn’t seem to want to make any changes in midfield either. No tactical changes or bravery. 

Last night we could’ve put Grealish on sooner or used Sancho, who has played 0 minutes so far. Instead played out a dull 0-0.

What a waste. 

4 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Pep has said previously he sees himself managing at international level at some point.

I’d be happy with Antonio Conte too. Our squad is perfect for his wing back system. It all comes down to money. Not many clubs pay what the FA have been historically willing to pay.

Pep - I hope his enjoyable time in England makes him interested.

Conte - decent shout. Does well most places he goes. 

Using wingbacks - Chilwell, Walker. Sounds good to me. 

1 hour ago, scram said:

Calls me a clown 

Claims Jose Morinho as next England manager 

amazing