Bannan playmaker in league two or liability?

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

I think Bannan should spend his summer learning how to shoot at the goal, for such a gifted player his goal return is appalling, Liam Palmer has scored more goals from open play than Bannan in the last 60 games. Yes Liam, the bloke that score one goal every decade.

I expect at least double figures in the goal column from Bannan next season.

needs to practice corners and free kicks as well

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

He'll be the best player in the league, if he stays. 

I seem to recall regularly hearing that said when we were in the league above.

At the end of the day, the lower the league, the rougher it is to play in. Bannan is not physically strong, and is likely to be targeted as the key player to take out.  I can see him getting bullied regularly.

This didn't happen as much in the champ because he was just a decent player at that level and not as feared.

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Look at the stats and he is constantly at the top of most of them. He has been our best player for the past 3 seasons but hey ho lets bash him

Can’t argue with that but hardly a ringing endorsement when considering the ‘competition’ for “best player” 😉

He needs to be pushed further forward to maximise his vision and ability, he plays far too deep.

zero point our best player getting the ball 2 yards in front of our centre backs.

find the space in the opposition half.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

It's the right template tho.

Agree it's probably a pipedream.

There has to be two young upcoming midfield players with the ability to win the ball have some pace and passing ability...that way Bannan doesn't have to try and do everything

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
4 hours ago, room0035 said:

I think Bannan should spend his summer learning how to shoot at the goal, for such a gifted player his goal return is appalling, Liam Palmer has scored more goals from open play than Bannan in the last 60 games. Yes Liam, the bloke that score one goal every decade.

I expect at least double figures in the goal column from Bannan next season.

At least double figures? You think he could get triple figure. Like your optimism, but think you are setting him up for a fall.

5 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

I like BB, he is a good player and has been a fabulous servant to the club.

BUT

He's on his last legs, he slows our play down terribly, will get knocked off the ball by blokes a foot taller than him next season and costs an absolute fortune for a 3rd tier midfielder.

If another club came in with 250K for him, I would snap their hands off and get in 2/3 young energetic mobile players better suited to the task in hand.

Just 2/3 oven ready, pacy midfielders. For that money we could get 10 surely?

18 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

At least double figures? You think he could get triple figure. Like your optimism, but think you are setting him up for a fall.

Just 2/3 oven ready, pacy midfielders. For that money we could get 10 surely?

Im talking about the wages that moving Bannan on would free up. Never suggested any replacements would be "oven ready". We need to cut our cloth accordingly & press the reset button. Rebuilding around a 31 year old who has been part of the losing mentality for the last couple of years isnt the way forward. We need some bite, physicality and pace in midfield for a L1 campaign.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Stopped reading there...Hutch blowing out of hisarse after 25 mins or Luongo getting fit...neither going to happen

The sun is out, just let a boy dream for a wee while eh?

5 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

If he is here which assuming, becouse he's in reality not  as quite as world class as some seem to think. Crikey he hasn't been able to cement a place in probably the WORST team Scotland have had in my lifetime over the last decade says it all to me. 

That aside though if we're going to accomode bazza especially at this level he needs to be in a midfield 3 with a K Lee (style) of box to box midfielder, who actually gets into the box and chip in with goals through the season. Along also with a Hutch in his prime (type) dm)/ball winner. 

That way you still get goals from midfield. He still has someone who will run past the forwards to pick out a pass to and open up space, but also has someone to sweep up for his defensive failings. 

If this is the worst Scotland team in your lifetime then you must be about 6 ( months ) 

2 hours ago, nile said:

He needs to be pushed further forward to maximise his vision and ability, he plays far too deep.

zero point our best player getting the ball 2 yards in front of our centre backs.

find the space in the opposition half.

Absolutely correct.  

Imo I think Bannan excels when he is driving forward in an advanced position with the ball at his feet.  That is when he is most dangerous.  

Having Bazza in the deep defensive role pinging balls forward doesn't fully utilise his skills.  

2 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Stopped reading there...Hutch blowing out of hisarse after 25 mins or Luongo getting fit...neither going to happen

Staggers ne that people still think hutch is a good midfielder.

7 hours ago, JumboRex said:

windass as a flair player is a bit of a stretch 

True: I meant more that he roams around a bit, has some speed, and isn't afraid to try to get into the box or have a go from 20 yards either. 

6 hours ago, dorian gray said:

orbannan should be used behind the attack, to put forwards in on goal with one pass.

NEVER in that useless quarterback role.

I fully agree . Bannan in an ATTACKING role is a must, but playing deep is a no-no. I often wonder, when Bannan goes deep, this is because of his being told to do so, or if it is his natural instinct to be always involved in play and needing to be the centre of the game?