Bannan playmaker in league two or liability?

6 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

You might be right there.

I posted the question before the claim that he's uncomfortable going forward.

If that's true we should take any offers for him.

Saying that..a playmaker needs eager runners and movement in front of them... which he certainly hasn't had lately.

If he hasn’t got the runners ahead of him, why does he keep trying the same thing that doesn’t work?

Is it a lack of intelligence?

On 27/05/2021 at 10:31, Costello 77 said:

He needs to spend the majority of his time on the pitch in the opposition half.

We can all agree on that...... can't we?

Yes.

I really don't want to have to endure a season of Barry Alonso. That ball over the top he tries works about one in every 30.

His best performance last season was against Cardiff where he was constantly in the final third causing trouble.

Oh, and can we please get a new corner taker.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

The answer is in your question - as a playmaker - its what he does. I will say now that he has the potential to be the most creative player in that league. The problem is that his creativity is nullified by the extremely limited footballers he is playing with. He is one of those rarities that the lower he goes the worse he will be because of the standard of players around him.

This is an interesting point.

He's gone from having played with players on his wavelength like Hooper, Lee and Nando, to a group of lesser players who simply are not.

Next season  could be like having Mozart trying to conduct ChumbaWumba.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those who don't rate him though, I'm almost certain there would be a host of clubs in the Champ happy to take him off us.

Imagine him in one of the more footballing sides in that division?

I was going to start this thread by saying 110% liability. 

But I'm going to try and be fair. 

In a 4-5-1 under Carlos, he looked amazing. Maybe we had legs around him, so he could express himself. The likes of Alex Lopez and Kieran Lee gave him more freedom. Nuhiu and later Fletcher, held the ball up very well and fought for the team also.

In a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 for me, he drops too deep and when we have a defensive midfielder next to him like Hutchinson or Pelupessy. It's same old, same old. Over relying on wingers for a spark.

He needs legs around him, he's a 4-5-1 midfield. Just like Tom Lees was 4-4-2 CB.

Us fans see these things but it takes a new manager too long and we keep repeating the process.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Giving out the bibs? 

Think the boat has sailed on him getting back to the Prem.

Yeah..a Leeds type.

They play some lovely passing football when they break.

It would have to be a team where finding a pass is something important to their game.

I mean every team needs that but it's about his only strength.

I can't get over he's costing £100,000 a month in Div 3 and it's not clear if he's going to be that valuable there.

I dunno.. I suppose it's why I asked the question.

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

Yeah..a Leeds type.

They play some lovely passing football when they break.

It would have to be a team where finding a pass is something important to their game.

I mean every team needs that but it's about his only strength.

I can't get over he's costing £100,000 a month in Div 3 and it's not clear if he's going to be that valuable there.

I dunno.. I suppose it's why I asked the question.

Fair.

It has been a conundrum for some time.

Really talented player and yet you feel like he's somewhat wasted here tbh.

The other thing is that, for all his talent, I dont think he's really got it in him to drive a poor or average team to success. 

Getting visions of him losing his sh*t next season because the freebie from Donny gave the ball away again.

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Fair.

It has been a conundrum for some time.

Really talented player and yet you feel like he's somewhat wasted here tbh.

The other thing is that, for all his talent, I dont think he's really got it in him to drive a poor or average team to success. 

Getting visions of him losing his sh*t next season because the freebie from Donny gave the ball away again.

This last sentence is important.

You've raised a point that I'd forgotten....he used to get on at Hooper and Matias..Christ knows what he'll be like as captain with journeymen.

On 27/05/2021 at 07:14, hasthagotanycheese said:

I like BB, he is a good player and has been a fabulous servant to the club.

BUT

He's on his last legs, he slows our play down terribly, will get knocked off the ball by blokes a foot taller than him next season and costs an absolute fortune for a 3rd tier midfielder.

If another club came in with 250K for him, I would snap their hands off and get in 2/3 young energetic mobile players better suited to the task in hand.

dog.gif.a2b5c05339d093e4804f8126fd137860.gif

Guest Mcguigan
42 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

He'd fit in well at Leeds.

Strange that because I was thinking how him and Pablo Hernandez for a season in League 1 would be a joy to watch.

9 hours ago, 0742 said:

Monk commented on Sky that Bannan had said he wasn't comfortable further up the pitch, so it was his choice to drop back and try and play the quarterback role.

then he'd have to GET COMFORTABLE with it, he's shyte deeper.

up there, or bench barry?

On 27/05/2021 at 07:14, hasthagotanycheese said:

I like BB, he is a good player and has been a fabulous servant to the club.

BUT

He's on his last legs, he slows our play down terribly, will get knocked off the ball by blokes a foot taller than him next season and costs an absolute fortune for a 3rd tier midfielder.

If another club came in with 250K for him, I would snap their hands off and get in 2/3 young energetic mobile players better suited to the task in hand.

That statement I bolded is total tripe.

Bannan will be one of those rare players that still excels when they hit 36/37 without having to drop down a level to maintain the performance.

I mean, he will be playing below his level next season if he stays, but that's not what i'm getting at.

• Haha 1