Bannan playmaker in league two or liability?

On 27/05/2021 at 06:46, Willie Henderson said:

If we manage hold onto Bannan, Windass and Paterson this season it would be a mighty feat to avoid automatic promotion, one which I think we're well capable of 

I imagine that Bannan has got little feet. My guess though is that Windass and Paterson have bigger feet - not mighty, but bigger than Bannan's.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

So do you think it’s worth paying Bazza 27k a week in the third division?

If we get promoted yeah definitely. No one knows what he’s on, someone said earlier his contract  was -50% if we went down. Is that right? You don’t know, neither do I. 

Edited by BIG D

Not really a surprise to see fans still living in the land of ifs and buts. Forestieri is worth a new contract if he gets us to the PL, Bannan is worth it if he gets us to the Championship etc. 

Fact is he will be one of the if not the highest paid player In the league and other teams will be able to field 3-4 players for what we pay him.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I really rate Bannan, but if he stays than at all costs he must be stopped from dropping deep getting ball of our defenders as it quickly turns into him assuming quoterback role trying "hail mary" pass whenever he gets on the ball. It looks awful and it doesn't work. 

He would be best used further forward where he could drop between the Lines using his quality to get on the ball closer to other goal and actually create chances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Not really a surprise to see fans still living in the land of ifs and buts. Forestieri is worth a new contract if he gets us to the PL, Bannan is worth it if he gets us to the Championship etc. 

Fact is he will be one of the if not the highest paid player In the league and other teams will be able to field 3-4 players for what we pay him.

I think of it like this; could Bannan beat Morecambe all on his own? Probably not, does he earn more than their first 11 combined? Probably. 

However good he is, quite simply is irrelevant. We as a club can’t keep paying salaries that we cannot afford. It’s rumoured Barnsley had an £8k cap in place and look how much better than us they were last season. We had 8th choice centerbacks earning more than twice that. 

Paying anyone more than 10k per week in this league, in the current financial crisis of football, never mind our finances is suicidal. The sooner we get a sensible cap in place and build a balanced squad in terms of positions and pay parity the better. Shaw earning 40X less than Bannan but being asked to do the same job is ludicrous. 

• Like 1

If his quoted wages are correct liability on that alone....how much will he have received in wages,even if at some point he is sold? ....and what if he picks upm a long term injury??

Paying out circa 100K a month?? just doesnt add up....Ime also wary of how deep he likes to play...add this to DM preferred 'playing out' style and i can see BB being redundent....he needs to be much further upfield...(and not taking corners or free kicks)

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

I think of it like this; could Bannan beat Morecambe all on his own? Probably not, does he earn more than their first 11 combined? Probably. 

However good he is, quite simply is irrelevant. We as a club can’t keep paying salaries that we cannot afford. It’s rumoured Barnsley had an £8k cap in place and look how much better than us they were last season. We had 8th choice centerbacks earning more than twice that. 

Paying anyone more than 10k per week in this league, in the current financial crisis of football, never mind our finances is suicidal. The sooner we get a sensible cap in place and build a balanced squad in terms of positions and pay parity the better. Shaw earning 40X less than Bannan but being asked to do the same job is ludicrous. 

But “he would walk into any championship team”

”we should build a team around him”

”you don’t get anywhere by selling your best players”

etc etc

• Love 1

On 27/05/2021 at 01:43, Indoor Owl said:

As a playmaker.

It's League One.

Two strikers up top:  Deeper lying, target man forward (Paterson); pace merchant, more flair player (Windass).  Balls in from Bannan.

Let's not get all trying to re-invent the wheel here.

... and the idea that a passer and player of Bannan's ability in League One would be a liability is asinine.

Get out.

On 29/05/2021 at 13:37, Mike Hunt said:

Will people stop with this quarterback bullshytte 

it’s not American football ffs 

Bannan will be the smallest centre back in the world of adult soccer

An electronic device should be attached to him and every time he drops deeper the device should activate to push him forward

This season (assuming we have one...) is going to be like Gladiator every weekend, we need to set up with players that can fight and scrap for every point. I'd sacrifice some technical ability for attitude and character.

The only way we get any benefit from Baz is by having players around him with those traits. If we don't we'll be watching a worse version of last seasons events IMO......

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Emilianenko said:

Are you Bazzas mum?

May or may not be Bazza's mum, but I for one am just impressed that you're actually still here and active on this forum.

I would have thought for sure you'd be spending all your time on some Huddersfield forum talking up Rhodes and singing them songs of how he's going to be the best striker in the league, and will score for fun at their level.

How you find the time to still post here trying to vilify our best player, I'll never know.  Must be exhausting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1