Bannan playmaker in league two or liability?

8 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

As a playmaker.

It's League One.

Two strikers up top:  Deeper lying, target man forward (Paterson); pace merchant, more flair player (Windass).  Balls in from Bannan.

Let's not get all trying to re-invent the wheel here.

... and the idea that a passer and player of Bannan’s ability in League One would be a liability is asinine.

Its very uncertain that 2 of the players you’ve mentioned will be here next season. 

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

What a complete load of twaddle - keep sniffing the cheese

So he's in his prime then? How has he sped our attacking play up the last 2 seasons when surrounded by poorer players? How well has he he imposed on the game against the more physical sides?

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 0742 said:

So he's in his prime then? How has he sped our attacking play up the last 2 seasons when surrounded by poorer players? How well has he he imposed on the game against the more physical sides?

Look at the stats and he is constantly at the top of most of them. He has been our best player for the past 3 seasons but hey ho lets bash him

• Like 1

If he is here which assuming, becouse he's in reality not  as quite as world class as some seem to think. Crikey he hasn't been able to cement a place in probably the WORST team Scotland have had in my lifetime over the last decade says it all to me. 

That aside though if we're going to accomode bazza especially at this level he needs to be in a midfield 3 with a K Lee (style) of box to box midfielder, who actually gets into the box and chip in with goals through the season. Along also with a Hutch in his prime (type) dm)/ball winner. 

That way you still get goals from midfield. He still has someone who will run past the forwards to pick out a pass to and open up space, but also has someone to sweep up for his defensive failings. 

• Like 1

My take:

Plays to the left of a midfield 4, two strikers up top in a similar way to the was we played under CC in 2015.

That way if we get a decent left back which if the rumours are true James is, he can come inside for the ball and also as we should have possession a lot he shouldn't drop too deep. He should be getting a lot of the ball to the left hand side in the final third where he should be able to deliver good quality balls into the box, and or if he has forwards (of which we need 3 possibly 4 if we sell Windass) which he can link up with and get assists or key contributions.

He shouldn't play centrally as he drops too deep. He shouldnt play as a 10 as he doesnt score or assist much so this seems to me his best position. However that doesnt matter if we dont get decent players for him to play with.

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

I like BB, he is a good player and has been a fabulous servant to the club.

BUT

He's on his last legs, he slows our play down terribly, will get knocked off the ball by blokes a foot taller than him next season and costs an absolute fortune for a 3rd tier midfielder.

If another club came in with 250K for him, I would snap their hands off and get in 2/3 young energetic mobile players better suited to the task in hand.

You my friend have no clue what football is!

26 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Look at the stats and he is constantly at the top of most of them. He has been our best player for the past 3 seasons but hey ho lets bash him

Not bashing, merely assessing him the stats.

Best player in the worst team in the league. Hope he updates his record of achievement. 

And you completely ignore the 3 questions i asked, funny that....

lol

Edited by 0742
  • Love 2

BB on the left of a midfield three with Hutch and Luongo and them in front of a back four of Palmer, Iorfa, Dunkley and James... It starts to look like a team that ought to be far too good for League 1 dunnit?

But them all staying seems a little fanciful right now. 

I have to say I have no idea about the law on the contractual position with these sorts of arrangements but if we keep paying late we may invallidate the contracts all together and lose them for nought.

41 minutes ago, 0742 said:

I'll answer your questions

1. Possibly just past his prime but still a very good player for us and has been at the top of almost every stat in the team

2. He doesn't slow it down though does he - we ain't got that much pace in the team to get beyond him so he does check back but you can't pass forward to someone who isn't there can you?

3. His game isn't physical it's about dictating our own style of play the physical side of the game has never been and never will be his strong point, that is allegedly what the other midfield players are there for

5 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I'll answer your questions

1. Possibly just past his prime but still a very good player for us and has been at the top of almost every stat in the team

2. He doesn't slow it down though does he - we ain't got that much pace in the team to get beyond him so he does check back but you can't pass forward to someone who isn't there can you?

3. His game isn't physical it's about dictating our own style of play the physical side of the game has never been and never will be his strong point, that is allegedly what the other midfield players are there for

See, we agree. When you look at the bigger picture, he's not the cause of why we are where we are, but the fact we haven't evolved from just playing through Bannan and surrounded him with tosh like Pelupessy, and he's on the slide is a huge disservice to him and his talents. We've wasted an exceptional player and now i do think League one could end up being a car crash season for him with all the expectation on his shoulders to be our Messi and carry us. 

If we are to play 4231 I’m not sure where he fits in.

He’s not disciplined enough to play in the 2 screening the back 4. He’s drawn to the ball like a moth to a flame and is often pulled out of position. He’s not defensively sound enough to play there. 

I didn’t think he had the ability to run into space, dribble with ball and take players on BUT since Moore came in, he’s looked far better in that sense so he could play in one of the 3 behind the striker. 

The trouble is, fitting in to a position isn’t what you want from a player that likely costs as much as the entire midfield he’s playing against. It’s hardly inspiring a good return on investment.

So for me, I think he’s a liability, whilst still being the best player. I’d rather us sign 3-5 good players in his place than us pay him 3-5x what a good player earns in this league. 

1 hour ago, Sefton owl said:

Its very uncertain that 2 of the players you’ve mentioned will be here next season. 

IF windass is here, the club wants it's head examined, SELL HIM, GET MONEY IN.

buy younger hungry players, look where the dingles shopped over the last 3 years.

buy in 'unfashionable' IF we must, but they must have a 'hunger' within them, not the easily satisfied (sign up for wednesday brigade) again.

windass money might secure us 3 forwards,  one taller and better in the air, one quicker, and (hopefully) a better finisher, we cannot keep flogging the same 'dead horse'.

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

Not bashing him, just being realistic. Its time to stop sucking wee Barry  off and move on to younger more dynamic midfielders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Plonk said:

Congratulations I think that’s the first time I’ve seen the word asinine used on owlstalk. 

Tbh I've never heard that word before has it got anything to do with having nine attempts to get in the aris. 

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

My take:

Plays to the left of a midfield 4, two strikers up top in a similar way to the was we played under CC in 2015.

That way if we get a decent left back which if the rumours are true James is, he can come inside for the ball and also as we should have possession a lot he shouldn't drop too deep. He should be getting a lot of the ball to the left hand side in the final third where he should be able to deliver good quality balls into the box, and or if he has forwards (of which we need 3 possibly 4 if we sell Windass) which he can link up with and get assists or key contributions.

He shouldn't play centrally as he drops too deep. He shouldnt play as a 10 as he doesnt score or assist much so this seems to me his best position. However that doesnt matter if we dont get decent players for him to play with.

you're talking of multiple players coming in, we barely paid the wages last term, and covid ain't going away anytime soon

the AZ double jab offers 60% protection against the indian variant, or to put it another way worse odds than loading two chambers at russian roulette.

football fans may not be back in any numbers. if at all.