Name your favourite season as an Owls fan

51 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I really enjoyed the obvious ones but apart from those I think I really enjoyed the 1996/97 season when David Pleat was manager.

I expected us to really struggle and we were top of Premier league for a while and finished 7th.

Was first season I also went to nearly all the away games and was just before football went a bit soulless (Or so it seemed to me)

This, this, this I totally agree we were hard working & grafted something we've seriously lacked over recent years!! I liked Pleat too I think he gets it a little unfairly at times on here, he had the unenviable task of breaking up Big Ron's & Tricky Trev's team

• Like 1

Too young at the time to appreciate the Premiership years, old enough to being gutted getting relegated in 1999/2000. 

2011/12 for the excitement and enjoyment of how it all played out. 2005 playoff season is the only other decent season since out of the top flight.

The best it yet to come! 😃

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Basement Jack said:

I think everyone would plump for 90/91

how could you not with the cup win as well

However... 83/84 runs it very close

We had toiled for years and seen some really poor teams

Then Big Jack arrived and turned it all round but couldn’t quite get us over the line

Then Wilkinson arrived and was not a very well known manager but boy that team!!!

It absolutely battered teams into submission. Like Nero says we thought we would win every game . It wasn’t always pretty but it was always exciting. I’ve never seen a Wednesday team with more heart

Wednesday 83/84’ v Wednesday 90/91 in a one off game?

I’m not totally confident 91 would win 

Totally agree. Winning the cup was great but that team with Bannister, brilliant and the away days were amazing.

7 minutes ago, Mat-Owl said:

This, this, this I totally agree we were hard working & grafted something we've seriously lacked over recent years!! I liked Pleat too I think he gets it a little unfairly at times on here, he had the unenviable task of breaking up Big Ron's & Tricky Trev's team

I don't think Pleat was worst manager we have had but he came after a really golden few season for Wednesday and many of the great players from that time didn't get on with him. Think Sheridan quite openly called him a w****** in one book on Wednesday I remember reading.

37 minutes ago, NobbyStyle said:

My 1st season for me, 79-80. BDM & promotion which led to some great years under Jack for a while & then Wilkinson.

821928E0-3F8F-4168-A15D-0C64A7E0EA1C.jpeg

1979-1980......best season ever .... just left school ... first job ... money in my pocket...underage drinking.... crazy away day matches ...meeting fat sid...sammy... Thommo...bathtub ..weeny...stocksbridge/ parson cross/ Eccles field/chapeltown/ high green/ Darnell/park and arbourthorne owls...etc etc.....feeling that SWFC was going somewhere..... the loyalty to Wednesday was in ingrained into you in these seasons and most late 50/60 year olds will still feel it today.....

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

1979-1980......best season ever .... just left school ... first job ... money in my pocket...underage drinking.... crazy away day matches ...meeting fat sid...sammy... Thommo...bathtub ..weeny...stocksbridge/ parson cross/ Eccles field/chapeltown/ high green/ Darnell/park and arbourthorne owls...etc etc.....feeling that SWFC was going somewhere..... the loyalty to Wednesday was in ingrained into you in these seasons and most late 50/60 year olds will still feel it today.....

I was 9 but it didn’t take me much longer to catch up with the underage drinking 

lol

• Haha 2

11/12 season was a really enjoyable one. Comeback at the Lane, Llera free kick v Hudds,  O'Grady v Pigs,  v Llera header v Brentford then Pigs drawing. This meant the final day was a procession. The fact we overhauled the scrubbers made it better than 04/05.

Even though it ended in defeat 15/16 was a special,  FF and  Hooper were signings of actual class. The attacking football, play off semis were brillant. I was over for 3-0 v Charlton in March and left the ground with a massive smile on my face like no visit before.

1992/93.

Last year the kop was standing, European football, Chris Waddle, cup finals, it should’ve been 10-1, Paul Warhurst, 2-4 at Blackburn, 6 goal thriller against Man Utd on Boxing Day, Mark Bright, The Hillsborough Crew - if it’s Wembley it must be Wembley etc....

To sum up that season, after our 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford that virtually handed Man Utd the title, I think it was the Sun’s sports reporter who said something along the lines of....

’I’ve just watched the most entertaining team in the country today, although they’ll probably not win the league title, Manchester United will’

That side was a joy to watch.

• Like 3

1990-91 is my favourite season though 79-80 was my first taste of success after watching us for 10 years where we was mostly rubbish.

Howard Wilkinson's first couple of seasons in charge were brilliant too, going to Anfield and Old Trafford to watch us win were memorable occasions. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Derick Mills said:

93 when we finished 3rd, I thought we was going to nick it, we finished so strong

I was sort of disappointed   because of those  defeats  Leeds  and United  at home and arsenal away   we would have  finished higher