Name your favourite season as an Owls fan

4 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Been following SWFC since 1989. 

For me my favourite season was 1990/91 in Division 2. That squad, that League Cup win. The football and the return to greatness. Sitting in the old south stand watching Hirst et al in their prime. Amazing. 

What was yours? 

Totally agree with you. 

I really enjoyed the memories come flooding back when I read the new Alex Miller book "91".

Highly recommended for those who haven't already got it.

I really enjoyed the obvious ones but apart from those I think I really enjoyed the 1996/97 season when David Pleat was manager.

I expected us to really struggle and we were top of Premier league for a while and finished 7th.

Was first season I also went to nearly all the away games and was just before football went a bit soulless (Or so it seemed to me)

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1983/84 - magical times for me as was only 11 years old at the time. 

First time I'd seen us promoted to top division. 

Turning up to Hillsborough every game expecting to win and was rarely disappointed, including victories against the likes of Chelsea, Leeds and Newcastle. 

If memory serves me correctly I think we did the double over Barnsley and also knocked them out of FA Cup. 

Top flight scalps in both Cup competitions (Stoke in league Cup, Coventry in FA Cup) 

Seeing  Liverpool for the first time including a number of players who I had previously seen win the European Cup on tv, and holding our own against them. 

Watching Bannister leave opponents on their backsides almost every week. 

Sure there's more but memory not what it once was. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Only started going about 97/98, so would probably say either 2011/2012 or 2015/2016. I think some of the better times came before i went, unfortunately. 2005 was also good, and even though we got promoted I would say 15/16 was better just because of some of the players we had

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nero said:

1983 84 under Wilkinson was the first time I ever saw us and thought we would win every game. Great season.

I think everyone would plump for 90/91

how could you not with the cup win as well

However... 83/84 runs it very close

We had toiled for years and seen some really poor teams

Then Big Jack arrived and turned it all round but couldn’t quite get us over the line

Then Wilkinson arrived and was not a very well known manager but boy that team!!!

It absolutely battered teams into submission. Like Nero says we thought we would win every game . It wasn’t always pretty but it was always exciting. I’ve never seen a Wednesday team with more heart

Wednesday 83/84’ v Wednesday 90/91 in a one off game?

I’m not totally confident 91 would win 

• Like 2

Well obviously most people including myself are going to say 83/84,  90/91, 91/92, 92/93.  Not going to be many shoutouts for 2001/02 are there!

Honourable mention to 84/85 though, nobody was quite sure how the Wilko style would work in the top flight but we surprised a lot of people by adapting so well, including wins away to the European champions Liverpool and Man Utd. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Well obviously most people including myself are going to say 83/84,  90/91, 91/92, 92/93.  Not going to be many shoutouts for 2001/02 are there!

Honourable mention to 84/85 though, nobody was quite sure how the Wilko style would work in the top flight but we surprised a lot of people by adapting so well, including wins away to the European champions Liverpool and Man Utd. 

The Wilko style was based around one key element which we have sadly been lacking for a number of seasons now Physical Fitness, we could run any team off the park for 90 minutes as our results showed

• Like 2

My Dad started taking me to games in 93/94 season think my favourite season was probably 04/05 for me. Cardiff was just before my 16th Birthday was absolutely football mad at that time, no responsibility or worries. We have probably had better seasons since but this one came at the right time.   

1958-9, my first season.

We broke so many records, and not broken them since.

Over 100 goals scored.   

Home record won 18. Drew 2. Lost 1, which was 2-3 to a last minute Bris City winner.  

Honourable mentions to 59-60, 60-1, 83-4, 84-5, 85-6, 90-1, 91-2, 92-3.  

The rest has been mainly rubbish.

There's a pattern here.  Three consecutive seasons on 3 different occasions.   And roughly coinciding with a top manager leaving.    Catterick, Wilkinson, Atkinson.   

• Like 3

Three for me. 1959/60 under Catterick .The first season I was able to go to every home game.

1983/84 under Wilkinson and 1990/91under Atkinson.

Demonstrates two things. We need to employ top managers. When we’ve had top managers we’ve not been very good at hanging on to them. 

• Like 1