Name your favourite season as an Owls fan

1 hour ago, Hughdowd said:

1979-1980......best season ever .... just left school ... first job ... money in my pocket...underage drinking.... crazy away day matches ...meeting fat sid...sammy... Thommo...bathtub ..weeny...stocksbridge/ parson cross/ Eccles field/chapeltown/ high green/ Darnell/park and arbourthorne owls...etc etc.....feeling that SWFC was going somewhere..... the loyalty to Wednesday was in ingrained into you in these seasons and most late 50/60 year olds will still feel it today.....

opening day at jokewell.

• Haha 1

Says it all really. After watching Wednesday for 53 years. There are only three good seasons to pick from.

Been a couple of OK ones, but the JC Wilco and BFR seasons stand out.

i think I would have to go for 90/91 for promotion, a cup and some amazing football and players. If only he had stayed wonder what he would have achieved

9 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

gutted that smithy missed that penalty.

Don’t remember that. Remember being on the pitch after the Carlisle game. 
Took a clump of turf home & planted it in the garden.

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

Says it all really. After watching Wednesday for 53 years. There are only three good seasons to pick from.

Been a couple of OK ones, but the JC Wilco and BFR seasons stand out.

i think I would have to go for 90/91 for promotion, a cup and some amazing football and players. If only he had stayed wonder what he would have achieved

perhaps what he had achieved in that LC win was the 'limit'

perhaps european qualification was possible.

we need to realise that wednesday are a club of a certain size, we have won a LC in what 90 years?

we are falling, that needs addressing, stabilising, then reversing.

we need a decent defence (like the one stuart gray left on his departure).

a competitive m/f (like JC's and wilko's) and an attack that carries intent, a good effective target man and a pacey scorer off him.

i very much doubt that 'one up with support' will get us up, BUT it maybe needed whilst we build the rest of the side before adding the full attacking elements.

blackburn won a PL title with a strong backbone and a good winger...

3 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Been following SWFC since 1989. 

For me my favourite season was 1990/91 in Division 2. That squad, that League Cup win. The football and the return to greatness. Sitting in the old south stand watching Hirst et al in their prime. Amazing. 

What was yours? 

This was an amazing year

Always more than a stride away in the duel with Spurs for the Championship. 

Always top six in early 60's until our fateful duel with Everton.

Doldrums broken by that second replay v Palace at Villa Park with the Joicey hat trick was a big night.

A massive promotion anticlimax at Exeter but the away game at Blackburn was a bit special.

First silverware in 56 years was nerve wracking as Man U searched a leveller that never came.

The multiple Wembley appearances didn't mean much either as we left empty handed.

The Pinnacle has to be that day at Cardiff against Little Hartlepool where a maximum fan base turned out and Paul who needs Mourinho worked the oracle with his tripple substitution. More than 42K made their way home deliriously happy. Yeah that does it for me !   

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1982/83

nothing remarkable football wise, we finished something like 6th or 7th, but did every game home and away, with great mates, crazy nights out, gluttonous amounts of lager, and generally acting lairy.

after that it turned into a haze of mortgages, marriage's and being sensible.

happy days

😎

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Bakewell Owl said:

1982/83

nothing remarkable football wise, we finished something like 6th or 7th, but did every game home and away, with great mates, crazy nights out, gluttonous amounts of lager, and generally acting lairy.

after that it turned into a haze of mortgages, marriage's and being sensible.

happy days

😎

starting to count how much 'awaydays' actually cost moneywise over as entire season,  £500 a season? (in those days).

• Haha 1

Just now, Hughdowd said:

Ha ha..... definitely.... classic away day ..... red hot .... 4 pints of snakebite ...ready to take the world on !!!!..

stood on that old colliery muck stack of their kop, every time we scored the jumping up and down caused a dust cloud, it's a wonder some didn't have pneumoconiosis.

It will be the most popular choice I'm sure but 1990/91 was superb, we'd gone from playing Wilko's effective but crude football to some superb stuff under Big Ron, we talk about HMS Pish the league these days but this was a team that for 90% of the season really looked like doing that, the promotion was brilliant and the league cup win the icing on the cake(ball). 

In recent years the 2011/12 and 2015/16 seasons stand about, the last three have been among the worst.

1 minute ago, dorian gray said:

we were in torquay for the w/e, took the shine off it for me.

We started off with 50 on the coach ... only 32 came back ... honestly..to this day still don’t know what happened to them 😆

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

We started off with 50 on the coach ... only 32 came back ... honestly..to this day still don’t know what happened to them 😆

we had one locked up for the entire w/e.

going to gillingham we were in london, in very heavy traffic (and boozing) moving about 50 yards in 20 minutes, a good number (dozen plus) lads got off the bus for a PITH in the roadside park when the traffic jam just cleared and the bus took off and left them........................

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

we had one locked up for the entire w/e.

going to gillingham we were in london, in very heavy traffic (and boozing) moving about 50 yards in 20 minutes, a good number (dozen plus) lads got off the bus for a PITH in the roadside park when the traffic jam just cleared and the bus took off and left them........................

Crazy days ..... every away game was like “ Jolly boys outing “...f##k the football 🙄😂

• Love 1