Euro 2021

42 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Was far too much pressure on the shoulders of Saka.

He's only a kid and him been charged with converting the 5th pen was asking too much.

Exactly. Southgate knows the pressure and the consequences of missing a penalty and he gives the 5th kick to a fkin teenager. 

im getting angry again. 

8 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Exactly. Southgate knows the pressure and the consequences of missing a penalty and he gives the 5th kick to a fkin teenager. 

im getting angry again. 

Even more annoying when you hear Grealish come out and say he wanted to take one.

A player with loads of experience, captain of his club, confident in his ability. If he wanted one, he should have gone before Saka, no matter how confident Saka felt. 

• Like 1

Just now, FreshOwl said:

That’s gamesmanship, nothing more 

As I said to the missus, nothing wrong with it.

It happens in every game of football.

Professional foul, which is Maguire did it, we would be praising him for it.

We all still talk about how Reda should have taken out Rhodes in that game he scored 4 and took a red card. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skyline said:

As I said to the missus, nothing wrong with it.

It happens in every game of football.

Professional foul, which is Maguire did it, we would be praising him for it.

We all still talk about how Reda should have taken out Rhodes in that game he scored 4 and took a red card. 

100%

Nothing wrong with what Chiellni did. 

Apparently 6'th penelty taker was supposed to be Pickford. Makes me believe that no one "more suited for the role" wanted to take responsability. 

Youngster probably got picked to take 5'th one as there was chance to have shoot out finished before he got his turn. 

True or not, full credit to Southgate for taking responsability and protecting his players saying that he picked penalty takes. 

All in all it was first big final for England since 66 and I thought you did great and can see you only going one better in the near future. 

9 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I think if you get all the way to the final of the Euros without playing France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium and Italy you’ve been extraordinary lucky with the draw.

Yes we beat Germany, but it’s a really poor German side playing without a recognized striker and recalling previously ‘retired’ players.

It took extra time and the world’s softest penalty to squeeze past an ordinary Danish side. 

Just like the last WC, as soon as England faced a legit side, they failed.

Southgate has been extraordinarily lucky in the knockout draws he’s had in the last two tournaments…and yet we’ve still failed. 

How many 'legit' sides did France face in the knockout stage of this tournament? What about the holders Portugal? Spain? 

If England finishing 4th in the World Cup and 2nd in the Euro's counts as failure then Southgate has done alright compared with the previous holders of the job over the last 55 years.

Yes it hurts to get so close and not win it and most teams who lose any match can always look back and think what might have been had the approach been different but if you came into this tournament last month thinking England will win the Euro's and anything else is failure then history suggests you were expecting too much.  

Pickford as the 6th penalty taker lol

I mean, I'm gutted we lost anyway, but to know now that we missed the opportunity to see Pickford take the first pen in sudden death - in a Euro final - and people losing their mind as he walked up.

Apparently these were the 5 best penalty takers in training throughout the whole thing so they would have known they were taking penalties

I would always put my best penalty takes 1st and 5th

Imagine if Grealish took and missed or whoever, then it came out that there were better penalty takers in training that were overlooked

21 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Apparently these were the 5 best penalty takers in training throughout the whole thing so they would have known they were taking penalties

I would always put my best penalty takes 1st and 5th

Imagine if Grealish took and missed or whoever, then it came out that there were better penalty takers in training that were overlooked

There isn’t the first major championship since 1966 on the line in training. 

You absolutely practice penalties but, it comes down to the moment. I’d rather Jordan Pickford take a penalty that he’s 100% up for than force Saka to take one cause he's done well in training.

Just now, 0wl18 said:

There isn’t the first major championship since 1966 on the line in training. 

You absolutely practice penalties but, it comes down to the moment. I’d rather Jordan Pickford take a penalty that he’s 100% up for than force Saka to take one cause he's done well in training.

Saka hasn't been forced to do that. He was one of our 5 best penalty takers so he's taken one which he was clearly happy to do as he has been involved in that process. In my opinion he shouldn't have taken the 5th but if you put Rashford there then he missed anyway

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Saka hasn't been forced to do that. He was one of our 5 best penalty takers so he's taken one which he was clearly happy to do as he has been involved in that process. In my opinion he shouldn't have taken the 5th but if you put Rashford there then he missed anyway

At 19, if your manager says I want you to take it, you take it regardless. You don’t want to show him any weakness. He’d never taken a penalty in a professional game for Christ sake.

6 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

At 19, if your manager says I want you to take it, you take it regardless. You don’t want to show him any weakness. He’d never taken a penalty in a professional game for Christ sake.

Yes but he has been part of the process throughout training or regularly taking penalties and he has emerged as one of the best. If he didn't feel he had what it takes to take and score one he wouldn't have been involved in that process. He hasn't missed because he is 19. He took a bad penalty as many others have done in the past of all ages and levels in the game.

I’d put my best 2 penalty takers 1st and 2nd. Why wouldn’t you? You can over complicate penalties. Just pick and spot and leather it. This stuttering run up that’s crept in is ridiculous. It staggers me how many penalties are missed considering the recent rule change with goalies shifts the odds even further in the penalty takers favour. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How many 'legit' sides did France face in the knockout stage of this tournament? What about the holders Portugal? Spain? 

If England finishing 4th in the World Cup and 2nd in the Euro's counts as failure then Southgate has done alright compared with the previous holders of the job over the last 55 years.

Yes it hurts to get so close and not win it and most teams who lose any match can always look back and think what might have been had the approach been different but if you came into this tournament last month thinking England will win the Euro's and anything else is failure then history suggests you were expecting too much.  

Having seen last nights game - and the teams we’ve played to get there - then I think we should have been celebrating a win…so I’m not sure I was expecting too much. 

13 minutes ago, vulva said:

I’d put my best 2 penalty takers 1st and 2nd. Why wouldn’t you? You can over complicate penalties. Just pick and spot and leather it. This stuttering run up that’s crept in is ridiculous. It staggers me how many penalties are missed considering the recent rule change with goalies shifts the odds even further in the penalty takers favour. 

Ronaldo used to put himself 5th - he changed to going first for Portugal when they lost a shoot out before it got to the 5th penalty.

The exaggerated stutter run up is a bit weird but before least night Jorginho had a very good success rate with it. The more he does it though, surely the more keepers will work it out and it then makes it more difficult to score with that technique. Pickford held his nerve brilliantly to stand up to it and not make his mind up for him. 

The run up worked for Rashford - the keeper committed himself before Rashford struck it, he just somehow managed to miss with half an empty goal at his mercy. 

34 minutes ago, vulva said:

Hate the way Ronaldo insists on being 5th to increase chances of scoring the winning pen. He should be up first being the "leader".